• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Weekly Piney Woods BBQ lunch

woodsguy

Forum Supporter
This has become a regular weekly ride (weather permitting). Locations change each week and is decided by a loose group consensus. Check the thread weekly for current location and time (generally 11:00am).

-Admin

----------------
Testing the waters for a weekly bbq lunch meetup. I see a few rides like this that seem successful. The day doesn't matter to me, I think the same day would work best so plans could be made once it started. Stay in the general north of Houston, east of Bryan, 1/2 way to Dallas piney woods area. There's nice FM roads and for the adventure crowd all kinds of dirt roads if that calls your name.

Let me know if there is some interest and what day and I'll post a ride and see what happens. Would love to do this weekly/bi-weekly.

Dmux, Jfink, SilveBullet others?

Doc's BBQ, 1277 E. loop, Crockett, Tx
Feb. 5th at noon. About 50 miles west of Nacogdoches/Lufkin, on either Hwy 7 or 21.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be interested. I live in Cypress, so it wouldn't always be the closest, but I'm off work Friday and Saturday and would enjoy the ride. Friday would be the better day I think.

So how soon are you looking to start this up? With a little notice I'll be up for just about anytime the weather isn't terrible. And my preference will lean towards dirt roads, or at least small paved ones, if roads are insisted upon!

I am in Lufkin and ride a 1100cc yamaha cruiser. Please just for me no dirt roads I will be face down in the dirt in no time. Would love to meet up for some awsome beef bbq some time.

woodsguy

Forum Supporter
Just for grins, extended forecast looks good for Friday, Feb. 5th. If this takes off we can move the destination around, but how about:

Doc's BBQ, 1277 E. loop, Crockett, Tx.. East side of town next to Whataburger.
As far as a ride, I know routes up there but this isn't an organized ride on my part. Obviously we can group up and do whatever.

Anyone interested in joining me, come on out. We can discuss locations and zero in on a day.

Last edited:
Just for grins, extended forecast looks good for Friday, Feb. 5th...
I'm in. My schedule just changed last week giving me my weekday flexibility back. So basically any day of the week works for me now with a days notice.

Interested as well...off every Thur-Fri and like a little dirt :)
Swing by Atascocita early and we'll take the scenic route up there hitting some mild dirt on the way. After lunch more to follow. I know you need some fun miles on that new 1190, commuting to work doesn't count. Lol

_

I'm in. My schedule just changed last week giving me my weekday flexibility back. So basically any day of the week works for me now with a days notice.

Swing by Atascocita early and we'll take the scenic route up there hitting some mild dirt on the way. After lunch more to follow. I know you need some fun miles on that new 1190, commuting to work doesn't count. Lol

_
define "mild" dirt? I hope you will be on your S10......Ive been on a few dirt rides through the forest so its been plenty dirty :)

define "mild" dirt? I hope you will be on your S10......Ive been on a few dirt rides through the forest so its been plenty dirty :)
Yes I'm riding the Tenere. Mild dirt = Forestry Service Rds, gravel/dirt County Rds, sometimes with small light patches of sand and mud depending on the weather. Nasty mud and deep sand I turn around on the big bike if I have a choice.

_

Yes I'm riding the Tenere. Mild dirt = Forestry Service Rds, gravel/dirt County Rds, sometimes with small light patches of sand and mud depending on the weather. Nasty mud and deep sand I turn around on the big bike if I have a choice.

_
Sounds like I'll have to meet y'all for that ride up. Atascocita isn't exactly close to me, but it sounds like you know a way to go that will be enjoyable!

Also, Woodsguy, what time were you shooting for everyone to meet up out there?

garfey

Forum Supporter
I am in Lufkin and ride a 1100cc yamaha cruiser. Please just for me no dirt roads I will be face down in the dirt in no time. Would love to meet up for some awsome beef bbq some time.
Hey! That's what's known as Kodak Moment and you shouldn't worry; these guys will lift the bike off you just as soon as the pics have been taken :photo:, and posted. :rofl:

Just for grins, extended forecast looks good for Friday, Feb. 5th. If this takes off we can move the destination around, but how about:

Doc's BBQ, 1277 E. loop, Crockett, Tx.. East side of town next to Whataburger. ... *snip* ...
Hey, that's near Huddle House :eat: and likely "The Most Interesting Manager in Captivity." :mrgreen:

Hint: Don't mess with her; OP knows what I'm talking about. :trust: :lol2:

I'd like to join youse guyz but will be heading out in a different direction on the 4th, prob'ly not back before Monday or Toozday. Let's hope the weather is clement for all of us!

This seems like it's going to be a good time. I've got carb tuning parts in the mail that should be in by the end of this week and now I have the perfect excuse to put on my new Shinko 244's! Looking forward to this one!

Hey Rob,
Just saw this thread. I'm always game for a ride & some food. I just don't frequent threads enough to keep up but I can work on that.
BTW thanks for the Trinity river bottom tour the other day, it was a great time. I also met JFink at Yankees the other day.

The 5th sounds good to me.

I don't know how long SilverBullet's route up there is, but noon would be better I think. I work til 10pm on Thursday, and not getting before the crack of dawn would be nice!

As a side note, I work 2-10pm as a normal shift, so this will always be the case for me. It's also why I can't go to any of the bike night meets.

Last edited:
11:30 too early? or noon.
I think noon would be better as well.

Hmmm, that doesn't look too far from far east Dallas, and I just got confirmed I'm using a comp day that day and so will be off of work....
If you plan on coming post back. I have a small PIF item that needs a ride up to the DFW area for a handoff to another TWT'er.

_

Feb. 5th at noon. About 50 miles west of Nacogdoches/Lufkin, on either Hwy 7 or 21.
Rob I suggest you copy/paste this info in your first post also. Makes it easier for those new to the party and no need for them to scan the entire thread.

Food looks tasty, if they have blackberry cobbler I'll be helpless and have to eat. Otherwise I'll just be power snacking (you'll understand when I arrive). I'm joining for the great company there, not the food. Lol

_

If you plan on coming post back. I have a small PIF item that needs a ride up to the DFW area for a handoff to another TWT'er.
Sadly I will NOT be attending. I had to swap around my day off and on call so I could attend some excellent work training next week. I'm not happy with the situation but really do want the work paid for training.

Sadly I will NOT be attending. I had to swap around my day off and on call so I could attend some excellent work training next week. I'm not happy with the situation but really do want the work paid for training.
Anyone else attending from the north? Wouldn't have to be all the way from DFW. Sometimes the TWT pony express works easier with multiple legs.

_

garfey

Forum Supporter
... If you plan on coming post back. I have a small PIF item that needs a ride up to the DFW area for a handoff to another TWT'er. _
Heading from the Pineys to the Bonham area today, in abt an hour (or two, knowing me), on over to BigD tomorrow, zig over to N. FtW sometime before Sunday, probably Friday morning. If you can head me off at the pass somewhere, I'll run with that ball.

No clue where Harmaston is and two hours later than planned already so no time to Google it.

Heading from the Pineys to the Bonham area today, in abt an hour (or two, knowing me), on over to BigD tomorrow, zig over to N. FtW sometime before Sunday, probably Friday morning. If you can head me off at the pass somewhere, I'll run with that ball.

No clue where Harmaston is and two hours later than planned already so no time to Google it.
NE Houston, Atascocita/Lake Houston area so definitely not on your way.

_

Rsquared

Un-Supervised Slacker
Forum Supporter
Save me a seat. If the weather and work cooperate I'm going to ride up.

I don't know how long SilverBullet's route up there is, but noon would be better I think. I work til 10pm on Thursday, and not getting before the crack of dawn would be nice!
Cold ride early this morning but sun is up now and starting to warm. William Wolfen I'm at the meet spot in Willis now, gassed up and ready. Just realized I don't have your phone number but I'm waiting for ya so keep rolling this way. You have my phone number in the PM so give me a call if you'll be after 10am arrival.

_

woodsguy

Forum Supporter
Well we had 7 bikes,good start. 1 rider had a flat and had to return home. Hope he made it ok. Seems everyone had a good visit and the bbq was good. Terry and I hit some dirt roads on the way home, fun times.

Last edited:

woodsguy

Forum Supporter
For February 12th, how about C&J bbq in College Station at noon? Corner of Hwy30 and FM 58.

I'll be riding the cheeseburger loop from New Waverly to Yankees if someone wants to join. Weather looks warmer. I'll leave Chevron and Burger King in New Waverly around 9:30

I was the one with the flat. Picked up a 2 1/2" long screw, washer included, after turning on to Hwy 149 from Hwy 249. Got stuck on a bridge for 2 hours. Slime didn't work. Off brand fix a flat from the nearest gas station didn't work.

Several people stopped, including Cagiva 549 oddly enough. One guy gave me a ride to the nearest gas station to look for fix a flat, and another one gave me the best kolache I've ever had (real sausage!). In the end, a friend of mine was coming home to Cypress from Iola, and took a roundabout route to pick me up.

After arriving home, I took the wheel and my old spare tube to the shop and had it swapped out. After re-installing my rear wheel, I went out for a little local adventure riding. I hit up a couple of horse trails, a gully or two, and I went down what appears to be an access path along a ditch that leads to the confluence of 2 local creeks and said ditch. The horse trails were nice sandy single track along the Big Cypress Creek, and the other path was truck accessible, though it had evidence of MANY trucks getting stuck. These of course were large rutted mud pits I promptly rode around.

So for what started out as a misadventure turned out to be a nice experience in the end. It proved to me there are still good people out there, and was a good reminder that attitude and can-do spirit are what makes an adventure out of a disaster!

Oh, and I'm down for College Station next week. Does anyone know any good unpaved backroads headed that way from Cypress? I need to make up for missing Silver Bullet in Willis.

Last edited:
Was nice to meet up with all you guys too. Rebekah enjoyed the company, food, esp the ride ! Silverbullet planted the magic seed ! She asked me later in the day "you think I could really ride a bike ?"