• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Well I had Me Some Vstrom Farkles Just Taunting me.......

OldTLSDoug

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
So, I bought a set of ZZR1200 calipers for the Vstrom and some SVracingparts adapter hardware. I bought a set of seals from Kawasaki and pads from Vesrah. I already had +2 in braided lines so off I went. I also replaced all the sealing washers. I had to machine the bolt on the lever to allow it to go in deep enough to fit properly on the new M/C. Thanks to Mr. Lathe job done.

So I had some parts.

I took the nasty calipers apart and removed the seals.

Cleaned them up for an hour or so.....

Then I put them together installed and put on new M/C and bled everything, Bob's your uncle.

All in all a fun time, I need to test ride her, but I think all will be well. That is the 19 mm Nissin master cylinder that SV Racing Parts sells for $219.00. Nice toy.

Test ride complete. I had the brake lever tied down, went out and discovered I didn't torque the right caliper banjo properly. So I had a round of bleeding, all is well. The brakes are significantly better. There is more pad contacting the rotors, the 19 mm m/c is nice as well. I didn't get a stoppie, but I now I can slide the front if I want. Feel is very good, lots of power on initial bite, very controllable. Love it. Wow that was fun.

Nice job, and nice mc remote reservoir. I like those and how they free up space on the bar.

Nice job, and nice mc remote reservoir. I like those and how they free up space on the bar.

Waiting for some stock bars to arrive then we shall see. Amazingly she wheelies nicely. Hopped a couple of cattle guards on the throttle in second gear. Fun fun fun.

So I did a minor rebleed and we now have a rock hard lever and great feel. All in all I would recommend this highly. Of course it was a little pricey the way I did it. I paid $120.00 for the calipers and the factory seals were $120.00 shipped. With the $232.00 for the M/C shipped on top of the $90.00 for the braided lines and $82.00 for the Vesrah pads. This was a $650.00 modification. Based on the performance improvement in the brakes, I would say it was worth every penny spent. Really cannot over emphasize the value of strong brakes with excellent feel. I can really crank the Strom down if I need to and no hand cramping. Very slick stuff. Blair over at SVracingparts certainly got this set up correct. Plus it was fun to do even all by myself. That made the bleeding more fun since I had to figure out how to bleed the left caliper from the right side. All in, I recommend it. Also don't forget that the ZZR1200 brake calipers fit perfectly AND they have a 10 mm bleeder nipple.

Back