• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Well There It Is....

Been there, done that. Sold all the dirt bikes about 5 years ago and quit racing. (I was never really good....but I did have fun) I do miss it though and I did re-acquire a WR450 for some dirt use but just don't ride it much so I'm constantly thinking about selling it. Wish you were in North Texas or me in Houston. I'm guessing we'd ride together a bit if we were closer.
Pretty sure you are right! That's part of it too, finding the "right" partner.

Wow, this took an odd turn. Let me clarify.

1. Not quitting the motorcycle/sport bike gig. Don't think I would like riding a Wing or even an Adventure bike.

2. The pull back from the track is for 2 good reasons. Money and motivation. I am not getting what I used to get out of it and frankly I think it is time to move on.

3. They are building a Supermoto track at MSR Cresson, but my membership doesn't cover it. So, that is another brick in the wall of getting out of track membership.

4. The Gixxer is much more attractive as a functioning streetbike and therefore I can get more money.

5. Finally, I am doing this stuff by my own choice at the time I choose. I will still hit the track from time to time and probably enjoy it, but I think I have mostly moved on.

Thanks for playing. Of course, Jasen has me worried with the wing comments and for the record, Donna won't be riding with me, not her cup of tea.

_MG_4854.jpg

Supermoto track you say? I hadn't heard of that one. Nice! If only I knew someone with a supermoto... :D

Totally understand getting out of the track thing. The cost is certainly high, both on the wallet and the body, and if the motivation isn't there then it's something that needs to be cut out. Doesn't mean you can't still do trackdays of course, just having the dedicated membership and bike isn't necessary anymore, got it.

But you aren't a young spry 59 year old anymore. Now your youth is behind you and you are getting into the GW age, so I was wondering if that was the direction you are heading. :D

Hopefully the gixxer will end up in someone's hands that will appreciate it and enjoy it. It was certainly being wasted sitting in my garage, and with you getting out of the track it's time for that amazing machine to find the right home.

I am pretty sure she will get some mileage put on her soon. I have her insured, and I am close to having her ready to go. I am hoping to have her on the road for the Friday slacker ride. We shall see. I think mostly the waste of money is my reason for the track, but I may run the Miata a time or two before I quit it.

Of course, Jasen has me worried with the wing comments
Hey...what's wrong with a Wing? :)

Seriously, they aren't for everyone but I really like mine. Out of all the bikes in my garage. The Wing is the one I'd probably pick if I could only have one. It's only an old man's bike if you ride it like one.

Back to the post topic....not that it matters but definitely no judgement or assumptions from me. There's a time for everything. For me, when the cost exceeds the fun, it's time to chase something else. Sounds like that's what you are experiencing / contemplating as well.

The Wing is the one I'd probably pick if I could only have one. It's only an old man's bike if you ride it like one.

I really want to get a DCT Gold Wing, but I don't have anyone to ride on the back of one and don't really have enough free time to do long miles.

Kinda feel like my VFR is my one person Gold Wing.

If I had room I'd love to toss an older Wing in the garage. Yellow one of course. It'd be ideal for toting the kiddo around in and we'd have a blast. I'll have to make due with the FJR for now though.

But we all of course like to Tease Old Doug from time to time. He'd think we didn't still love him if we stopped. :D

Hey...what's wrong with a Wing? :)

Seriously, they aren't for everyone but I really like mine. Out of all the bikes in my garage. The Wing is the one I'd probably pick if I could only have one. It's only an old man's bike if you ride it like one.

Back to the post topic....not that it matters but definitely no judgement or assumptions from me. There's a time for everything. For me, when the cost exceeds the fun, it's time to chase something else. Sounds like that's what you are experiencing / contemplating as well.
Seriously pick the Wing if only one? Wow. Heck, I've never even rode one. For me would be GS 1200.

Seriously pick the Wing if only one? Wow. Heck, I've never even rode one. For me would be GS 1200.
I have well over 100K miles between my 2001 Wing and my 2013 in the last 10 years. My 2013 has almost 70K miles on it already. My guess is that 40K of those miles are with my Wife. All my other bikes combined might have 30K total miles in the last 10 years.

I'm not saying the Wing is 10X the fun of other bikes, but I end up riding it about 5-10X more than any other bike year after year. It's also the only bike Carrie will even sit on, much less ride on so it's the only choice for a 2UP ride. For solo stuff, it's the only bike I can ride 1000 miles in a day and still enjoy spirited twisty roads when I get to them. It's not really fast, but it handles well enough to have plenty of fun on and you can't beat the comfort. It's a mile eating machine on a long ride. I literally feel more refreshed after 1000 miles on the Wing than I do after 300 miles on my KTM.

Anyway....I would miss many of my bikes if I had to get down to just one but the Wing would be the one I would miss the most if it was gone.

Doug...sorry for clogging up your thread with my Goldwing crush. :)

Speaking of Wings, I don't like to have my feet ahead of my hips when I ride. I feel like I am out of control. So that is the biggest reason I don't like wings/cruisers/ADV bikes etc. I even put rearsets on the FZ1.

Today I finished the Gixxer street conversion. Mitch stopped by and we put together some of the new bodywork. I have been saving it for a long time. She still needs bar ends, can't find them anywhere. I ordered a new set, so I expect I will find them as soon as I get the new ones.

Anyway, here is how she came out. Tomorrow I get her inspected and a new sticker, then a test putt. Planning on riding to Bluffdale and Thurber on Friday. Should be fun.

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_14311.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

P.S. Jasen will be happy to know I am running the Pirelli Tires he so badly wanted me to...run. I probably will take the Dunlop GPA's off of my spare wheels, maybe mount up the slicks in case I want to go to the track. Should be fun.

Very pretty bike Doug. I love that paint scheme on the GSXR. I really need to do the same thing with my 2004 but instead of doing the smart thing, I think I"m going to paint my track fairings first, realize how bad I am at painting, and then order stock bodywork for it and take it back to street.

I do things in dumb ways..... but I'm good at it.

I do things in dumb ways..... but I'm good at it.

This ain't my first rodeo. I have done this a couple of times. But I am pretty sure this was my last track bike....and below are all of the bikes I rode at the track over the years.

P5306219.jpg

My first Gixxer was an 07 750.

P8046625.jpg

P3170696.jpg

PC071931.jpg

P5242399a.jpg

P1010756.jpg

TL1000S3.jpg

P3315978.jpg

First DR-Z now belongs to Danceswithcurves

P6243881.jpg

PA221314.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

20180214_182610.jpg

20141212_091010.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

Scan737.jpg

The one on the list that caught my eye was the RC8. I would love to ride an RC8 on a track.
Could have been like Chirs, and ridden it in stop and go traffic. I was quite happy to be on the supermoto at that moment. :D

Chris got to try the Super Duke, didn't go as planned. I just counted, that is 15 and actually 16 bikes I have ridden on the track since I was 40 (20 yrs ago). That doesn't include the bikes I didn't ride on the track in that period. That would be a pretty good pile as well.

The RC8 was a hoot on the track and it was fun because it would back into corners and leave 2 in wide stripes coming out of them. I got rid of it and the Super Duke because I wanted a 1290 Super Duke R. I liked it, but I miss the 990 Super Duke. It connected me with the old Suzuki TL's.

I rode the Gixxer about 50 miles today and Mr. Left Hip did not enjoy it. Maybe the FZ1 is a better riding around scooter.

I raced my last race many years ago , I knew for a long time before that it wasn’t my speed and skills but cunning old geezer tricks that even made it possible to outsmart the youngsters . Now its just pleasure riding but the last thing to be retired will be my dirt bike because it can take me places that very few others can go and when I ride I don’t ride to see people , I ride to see beauty in the wild and woolly .

I rode the Gixxer about 50 miles today and Mr. Left Hip did not enjoy it. Maybe the FZ1 is a better riding around scooter.
Ya think? My commute is 50 miles each way and I only tried it once or twice on the Gixxer before I remembered that the upright sport standard was a better idea. Happy I was able to sell it so fast. :D

Back