• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Went Dirt Road Exploring East of Willis

Joined
Dec 7, 2005
Messages
1,159
Location
Tomball/Spring, Texas
Well since I am off on Friday's this summer, I thought I would go exploring. I left the house around 11:30am. and followed a route which took me from Montgomery to Willis, then I looked for as many dirt roads I could find over to ColdSpring and around Lake Livingston.

DS-LakeLivingston-7-7-06001.jpg

I got off to a rough start due to most of the roads I mapped had several locked gates.

DS-LakeLivingston-7-7-06002.jpg

After recalculating my route I had found myself on a tree farm/hunting lease.
DS-LakeLivingston-7-7-06003.jpg


More locked gates...recalculate...
DS-LakeLivingston-7-7-06005.jpg

More locked gates...recalculate...

DS-LakeLivingston-7-7-06006.jpg

More locked gates...recalculate...

DS-LakeLivingston-7-7-06007.jpg


I finally started making progress.

DS-LakeLivingston-7-7-06009.jpg

As I got closer to Lake Livingston, I found a nice playground.:rider:
DS-LakeLivingston-7-7-06013.jpg

I cut up a little bit, but the ground was still saturated from all the rain. I was by myself so I played it safe. No one would have ever found me back here if I were to have an accident:ponder:
DS-LakeLivingston-7-7-06014.jpg


DS-LakeLivingston-7-7-06017.jpg


DS-LakeLivingston-7-7-06019.jpg


DS-LakeLivingston-7-7-06021.jpg


DS-LakeLivingston-7-7-06023.jpg


DS-LakeLivingston-7-7-06024.jpg


DS-LakeLivingston-7-7-06026.jpg


Made it to the lake and took a breather, then headed back home.
DS-LakeLivingston-7-7-06030.jpg


DS-LakeLivingston-7-7-06032.jpg


This was the last dirt road I could find in the area. It was getting to be 5pm. and I was at least 1 hour from home so I slabbed it back. Got home just in time to go out to dinner with the wifey.:eat: After a couple hundred miles a cold beer and some fajita's were just what the doctor ordered.:trust:

Here is the track from the ride.
livingston.jpg
 

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Joined
Feb 28, 2003
Messages
45,765
Location
Huntsville
Dang, looks like fun!

:tab I have all the parts in for my KLR and plan to get it back together this weekend so I can get back to riding. The knee is doing well. I still need to find the parts for my boot though. Can't find anyone that sells parts for SIDI boots. Also need to look at getting some new pants. I don't think I will be getting another pair of those Firstgear HT Overpants... I want something with better abrasion protection.
 
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
2,092
Location
here and there, mostly there
I am going to call the loggers and Forest Service on Monday. How DARE you tear up their roads by spinning your rear tire.

How did you get from home to Lake Conroe? Helicopter?

You skipped 105 between Cleveland and Conroe ... :lol2:

It looks like a fun day. I am trying to convince the fine folks of Livingston Texas to let me design a project for them. If I get the project, I will be there for a day or twelve, on site, measuring stuff. I see I will "have" to bring the XR.
 
Joined
Dec 7, 2005
Messages
1,159
Location
Tomball/Spring, Texas
Tourmeister said:
Dang, looks like fun!

:tab I have all the parts in for my KLR and plan to get it back together this weekend so I can get back to riding. The knee is doing well. I still need to find the parts for my boot though. Can't find anyone that sells parts for SIDI boots. Also need to look at getting some new pants. I don't think I will be getting another pair of those Firstgear HT Overpants... I want something with better abrasion protection.
Glad your knee is feeling better. Hurry up and get that KLR back together so we can go ride:rider: So you got a new blinker? Did you get your fairing bent back to the normal postion? As far as those scratches, just put some stickers over them.;-)
 
Joined
Dec 7, 2005
Messages
1,159
Location
Tomball/Spring, Texas
Teeds said:
I am going to call the loggers and Forest Service on Monday. How DARE you tear up their roads by spinning your rear tire.

How did you get from home to Lake Conroe? Helicopter?

You skipped 105 between Cleveland and Conroe ... :lol2:

It looks like a fun day. I am trying to convince the fine folks of Livingston Texas to let me design a project for them. If I get the project, I will be there for a day or twelve, on site, measuring stuff. I see I will "have" to bring the XR.
I was aerating the roads:trust: Darn GPS I am still learning it, at Lake Conroe is where I remembered to turn on tracks. I was staying away from 105, Cut and Shoot skeeers me:-P If you do get that project let me know, we can go for a ride. Maybe Scott will have his KLR back together, he is getting as bad as Texas T.:rofl: just kidding Scott.
 
Joined
Sep 11, 2005
Messages
6,294
Location
Spring Texas
dbdolan said:
Maybe Scott will have his KLR back together, he is getting as bad as Texas T.:rofl: just kidding Scott.
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are! (shameless stolen from Larry the Cable guy):rofl:
 

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Joined
Feb 28, 2003
Messages
45,765
Location
Huntsville
:tab It is back together :-P I have only had the parts for a few days. It is not like they were sitting out in the garage forever waiting on me to do something with them ;-) I might do a little ride tomorrow. I still need to do the valves. Could probably use a new front tire too.
 
Joined
Dec 7, 2005
Messages
1,159
Location
Tomball/Spring, Texas
Tourmeister said:
:tab It is back together :-P I have only had the parts for a few days. It is not like they were sitting out in the garage forever waiting on me to do something with them ;-) I might do a little ride tomorrow. I still need to do the valves. Could probably use a new front tire too.
I was just funning with ya, I wish I could go ride today. I am heading out around noon to go fishing down in Texas City. I am hoping to come back with a stringer of these......
BDfishing4-3-04westbay008.jpg


and these......
SanLuisPasssmall10-23-05006.jpg
 
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
109
Location
Katy, Texas area
Bryan....looks like a fun ride you had....im hoping to get out on one of those rides with ya sometime....im still fine tuning my carb and i almost have it dialed in.....anyway great pics....
 
Top