• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

West Coast Ride Report 2008

D713.jpg

What is the item you have on the right handlebar? Intercom? Nice photos and report :)

What is the item you have on the right handlebar? Intercom? Nice photos and report :)

Mounted on a bracket on the dash is the Cobra WXST CB radio. On the left handlebar is the Garmin GPS. The CB did great on the freeway and remained turned off otherwise. It has a weather radio built in that we did use several times later in the trip due to weather concerns.

Day 9
Thursday July 24th
198 miles
Washington, UT to Grand Canyon NP via Zion NP

Day9map.jpg

Wow…day 9 already. There are some notes I want to emphasize before I forget and things I learned.

Cooling vests are not optional, they are mandatory. Miracool seemed to be the popular choise amoung the desert riders I inquired from so that's the direction we went.

Hydration packs are not an option, they are also mandatory.

Hike Smart Information which applies to riding in the desert heat as well.

Also, for the mesh gear lovers, MESH GEAR SUCKS ROCKS. You want textile above 90°F and it is a requirement above 100°F. Mesh gear simply does not allow your sweat to do its job. Your body will just sweat more until it reaches its maximum causing your body to dehydrate and still not being able to cool down. Think of it like this, you’re standing in front of a giant hairdryer and you want out of the heat. In addition, the cooling vests will just dry out extremely fast with mesh gear causing additional issues. I know it seems counterproductive to wear gear that prevents airflow but really, that’s what you want. At minimum, wear long pants and long sleeve performance fabric clothing under your mesh gear. It’s better than nothing.

Today is national park day. Since I had heard Zion was pretty, we put it on the day’s agenda to hit it before we went to the GC. After all is said and done, we enjoyed Zion more than the GC and if you’re going up that direction, it is a definite place to see. There are plenty of hotels and places to crash around Zion if you’re not into camping. You’ll also want to make reservations for a campsite in Zion as it seems to be a extremely popular place. Camping in the GC is a definite reservation on your campsite. We’ll discuss that later.

The bike garage at the hotel in Washington, UT.

D91.jpg

D92.jpg

D93.jpg

D94.jpg

D95.jpg

D96.jpg

D97.jpg

D98.jpg

D99.jpg

D910.jpg

There is a bus ride through the canyon with various stops along the way. The entire loop takes 90 minutes but we chose just to ride out to a particular quick 1.5 mile hike to some natural springs or pools up in the cliffs.

D911.jpg

D912.jpg

D913.jpg

D914.jpg

The road out of Zion was twisty and fun, although with the tourists, you weren't going anywhere fast. The tunnel was a lot of fun...too dark to get any good photos from the back of the bike, though.

D915.jpg

D916.jpg

D917.jpg

Coming into the Grand Canyon through the Kaibab NF.

D918.jpg

Eating dinner at the Lodge. Most dinners are reservation only but if you get there early, they may have a spot. Most of the food was only average...well overpriced for the quality. The view out the windows was outstanding as it sits on the edge of the north rim with big windows overlooking the canyon.

D919.jpg

D920.jpg

D921.jpg

D922.jpg

The park rangers told us we can camp free just outside the park gates in the Kaibab National Forest. Cool! So…errr…any wildlife we need to be aware of (meaning bears)? Ranger said, no bears! We have mountain lions! Oh, goody, goody. I’m thinking I’m Kibble and Dee is Bit’s. He said they are rare to see, but if we did see them, don’t run, make noise and make like we are meaner than the cat. Great. Kibble and Bits here we go.

Off to find our campsite. Down the forestry department road that is gravel we go. We kept toodling down the road, looking to see what’s available and low and behold the holy grail of campsites. We come across one that has a concrete toilet! We pitch on a gravel pad next to where the campfire supposed to be and think we have it made. Yeah right. Rule number one, pitch where you’re comfortable. Problem was we had wandered 6.5 miles into the forest, no one else around, no way of communicating with anyone (no cell service), and no quick way back to the road. Storms rolling in, lighting around us, a heavy rain could have put the roads out of the ST’s capability to get us out. I think we slept all of 2 hours that night being awakened by a Coyote calling her pups in our campsite and a deer becoming spooked at our tent. Both well after midnight. The next morning was a relief and both Dee and I agreed that we should have pitched close to the main road. On our way out, someone else had done just that and we kicked ourselves for pitching so far in. Also, have a camp shovel…something we forgot to add to our equipment list. You need them to bury your business and to put out campfires.

I have camped a good portion of my younger days but have not pitched a tent since my senior year of high school. Dee and I have never pitched together so we are still working out the kinks of tent crashing. KOA was good, we were just not comfortable with the campsite we chose this time around.

Day 10-The Colorado Run coming soon!

Day 10
Friday July 25th
346 miles
The run to Colorado

Day10map.jpg

Today was mainly just moving towards home though Colorado after getting up, showering, laundry, and lunch at the Canyon. Time had gotten away from us and it was around noon when we left the GC making the run to Colorado a bit more rushed. Some of the photo’s you will see what we were guided through by God. We never got rained on…not once today.

Coming out of our campsite…sure was pretty in the daylight.

D101.jpg

Some famous burro from back in the late 1800's. I'm too lazy to go look up his name but it was a life size statue. Small.

D102.jpg

D103.jpg

The Lodge from the lookout over the GC.

D104.jpg

Some of the windows in the Lodge.

D105.jpg

D106.jpg

D107.jpg

D108.jpg

D109.jpg

D1010.jpg

D1011.jpg

D1012.jpg

D1013.jpg

D1014.jpg

D1015.jpg

The skies were all dark around us and at every twist in the road; it seemed as though it would direct us strait into one of the looming storms. We were literally surrounded on all sides but heavy t-storms. As the day wore on, we missed all of them and landed in Cortez dry and safe. The Comfort Inn we stayed at for the night had a simple aluminum bike shelter out front which was a nice touch. At least they provided some cover for the bikes.

Day 11-The Southern Colorado Run coming soon!

Day 11
Saturday, July 26th
537 miles
Altitude 10,850 @ Wolf Creek Pass
The Southern Colorado run to Amarillo, Tx

Day11map.jpg

The pic’s from today are not all that great. This was on the second day we had any rain to deal with and only for a hour if that. The threat of rain, kept the camera put away for a good portion of the ride. With much reservation, this was the least favorite parts of the ride for multiple reasons. I say with reservations since I’m sure that the roads we didn’t get to ride would make up for much of our disappointment. I have determined that if you’re going through Colorado; don’t be in any kind of hurry.

Tent setup in the hotel room drying from the rains the night before. Pizza guy thought it was funny.

D111.jpg

D112.jpg

D113.jpg

D114.jpg

D115.jpg

D116.jpg

D117.jpg

D118.jpg

D119.jpg

D1110.jpg

D1111.jpg

Day 12 - The Journey Home-Amarillo, Tx to Fort Worth via Palo Duro Canyon coming soon!

Day 12
Sunday, July 27th
372 miles
Amarillo, Tx to Fort Worth, Tx via Palo Duro Canyon

Day12map.jpg

Decided to hit up Palo Duro canyon on our way home since we had heard so many speak of it. Very nice and may do a ‘camping’ trip up there soon. Other than that, nothing much to speak of on the ride home as this portion of the ride was the worst as far as scenery and roads go.

It was good to get home but was sad to have it come to the end. There are things we learned from mistakes made but we are not disappointed in the ride one bit. It was over too quick.

Cheesy pic of the ST on Route 66.

D121.jpg

D122.jpg

D123.jpg

D124.jpg

D125.jpg

D126.jpg

D127.jpg

On Saturday, August 9th we hit the road again to Michigan to visit Dee’s family. I’ll do a ride report on that one when we get back. Hope you enjoyed the report…the ride was much better!

Nice ride report with excellent pictures and maps. I stumbled upon this while searching "Hoover Dam", only to find it noted as a place you did not visit, haha. :doh:

Back