• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

West Houston DS Riders

Some of you guys may know me but I've been away for a few years solving life's problems and unfortunately not riding nearly enough. I live in West Spring Branch but my new workshop is in the SE Conroe area. This year I'd really like to try to get on a few group rides. Anyway, just thought I'd toss my name in the hat. Talk soon Travis.

I haven't yet decided on the particulars, but I'm plotting a local ride for Saturday. I know some folks are going to Sander's ride, but it's further than I'm interested in going this weekend. I'm currently thinking something out towards the Fayetteville area.

Last edited:
Well, my tire acquisition didn't go according to plan. Didn't manage to meet up with my friend so I decided to go ahead and get a TKC80 put in the front. I'm looking forward to having the front behave on gravel.
So you would definitely know. I know you are running 244 rear / TR8 front on your DR. We're planning on spending some time riding around Davy Crockett forest and the surrounding area for a few days this spring. We usually take a trip out to the Hill Country every April but trying East TX this time.
I've read about deep sand and conditions varying a lot depending on rain.
Is a Good 50/50 knobby ( TKC80 / TR8 ) best up front for that area ? I've got Shinko 705's on my DR now and Jennifer has a 244 on the back and a Perelli something 70/30 up front.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So you would definitely know. I know you are running 244 rear / TR8 front on your DR. We're planning on spending some time riding around Davy Crockett forest and the surrounding area for a few days this spring. We usually take a trip out to the Hill Country every April but trying East TX this time.
I've read about deep sand and conditions varying a lot depending on rain.
Is a Good 50/50 knobby ( TKC80 / TR8 ) best up front for that area ? I've got Shinko 705's on my DR now and Jennifer has a 244 on the back and a Perelli something 70/30 up front.

Get a knobby on the front for sure. Something with a little more bite for drive on the rear wouldn't hurt either. TR8/244 works fine and isn't pricy.

Get a knobby on the front for sure. Something with a little more bite for drive on the rear wouldn't hurt either. TR8/244 works fine and isn't pricy.
Sounds good. Yeah the 705's have been fine for everything I've been doing down there. I have a new pair of front TR8's sitting on the shelf for the TX bikes just in case. Guess I'll throw a 244 on the back of mine while I'm at it.

Sounds good. Yeah the 705's have been fine for everything I've been doing down there. I have a new pair of front TR8's sitting on the shelf for the TX bikes just in case. Guess I'll throw a 244 on the back of mine while I'm at it.

Do y'all have much experience in sand? It's very different to riding in other surfaces.

Do y'all have much experience in sand? It's very different to riding in other surfaces.
I have ridded in sand but not deep stuff in a while and not on the DR. I do know the technical aspects as far as keeping the weight to the rear and not a death grip on the bars etc.
Only one way to get the experience.. lol.

Ditto...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wait a minute...I thought we voted the super secret handshake down at the last super secret after ride meeting? But if memory serves it was unanimous that on your first group ride that you bought lunch for everybody. [emoji16]

No super secret handshakes? Oh yea, that's only if synthlegend comes :lol2:
Wait...what? 😜🤣🤣🤣 Man, I hate that the Cheeseburger Loop was yesterday. I couldn't make it yesterday but had absolutely nothing today. Of course it was absolutely beautiful!!! Murphy's Law in full effect!

A couple of us are riding from Houston to Big Bend for “Round the Bend” next week. If anybody is interested, you’re welcome to join.

I’m splitting the route into two days and avoiding most of I-10. Staying in Camp Wood Wednesday night then through Del Río and up to Terlingua Thursday. It’s about a 6 hour ride per day plus gas.

Sounds like fun, but I'm not going to be getting out there RTB this year. Big bend is on the list, but now isn't the time!

So, who wants to do a nice local ride on Saturday, weather permitting? Also, any preference as to where?

Last edited:
Pencil me in. Still a bit early in the work week to nail anything down for me.

Back