• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

West Houston DS Riders

Great route today, Harold! Rode some roads that were new to me so that's always a plus. You arranged some fantastic weather too!

I am glad you guys made it out for this ride. I had a blast as well, and really enjoyed the ride and the weather. Look forward to doing another ride soon. Great ride and great company, you can’t ask for anything else!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You were right about Saturday's SuperX it was a good one, especially if you're on board a certain orange colored wagon.

Hello,

I'm new here so this is my introduction.

I ride a 2020 DR650 that I got last Fall. I've been away from riding for a while, but before that I was riding dirt trails since I was 4 and have about 50,000 miles on sport bikes. My last dirt bike as an '87 KX250 that I sold about 10 years ago after the "no trespassing" signs when up in the last convenient place I had to ride.

I've put about 1000 miles on the DR, mostly riding dirt and gravel roads around SHNF. I'm hoping to find some more challenging routes soon, like the multi use trails, but I don't really want to do that for the first time alone. I'm not looking to go fast, I'm more interested in technical stuff in order to stretch my comfort zone, which is still pretty small these days compared to what it used to be.

I would be willing to go riding almost anywhere, but I don't relish long interstate drives on the DR, so if that is involved, I might just truck my DR to the starting line. But if anyone is planing a ride in or near the SHNF, I would like to tag along. That is, if you don't mind a slow old guy who is still trying to remember 1/2 of what i used to know.

Attachments

• HSP1small.jpg
    HSP1small.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 120
Welcome StuckinTheMud keep an eye on this thread rides will probably start showing up most weekends with the weather getting nice. Most will start with from Katy, Willis, Waller, Magnolia all within riding distance from Conroe.

Thanks BornAgain.

If one starts in Montgomery, or Willis those are right down the road from me. Also anything in the forest or on the multi-use trails. I ride the forest roads out near Kelly's Pond all the time.

I started out from Conroe on Saturday and rode the Cheeseburger Loop...70% off-road and lunch at Yankee's Tavern at ~120mile mark...

1616537954160.png

Sounds like fun, but it is a little longer and a little faster that what I would ideally prefer.
Anything over about 65 MPH on the DR with no windshield, gets old fast, and 5 hours on that hard saddle...well I would need more than 1 stop.
But the 120 mile mark is about where I would need to get gas.
The start and end of that ride are areas I frequent. The loop around Anderson would be new to me.

I'm hoping to get out for a ride in that area on Sunday.

Hello,

I'm new here so this is my introduction.

I ride a 2020 DR650 that I got last Fall. I've been away from riding for a while, but before that I was riding dirt trails since I was 4 and have about 50,000 miles on sport bikes. My last dirt bike as an '87 KX250 that I sold about 10 years ago after the "no trespassing" signs when up in the last convenient place I had to ride.

I've put about 1000 miles on the DR, mostly riding dirt and gravel roads around SHNF. I'm hoping to find some more challenging routes soon, like the multi use trails, but I don't really want to do that for the first time alone. I'm not looking to go fast, I'm more interested in technical stuff in order to stretch my comfort zone, which is still pretty small these days compared to what it used to be.

I would be willing to go riding almost anywhere, but I don't relish long interstate drives on the DR, so if that is involved, I might just truck my DR to the starting line. But if anyone is planing a ride in or near the SHNF, I would like to tag along. That is, if you don't mind a slow old guy who is still trying to remember 1/2 of what i used to know.
Hello Stuck. Glad you found this thread. I will be happy to go and ride the trails with you in the forest. I am laid up this weekend waiting on parts but the following weekend I’ll most likely be there. Sounds like you have experience on dirt and your DR is more than capable of handling anything in SHNF so I would not be too worried about riding the trails on your own as long as you pick the right one at the right time. A couple of things to keep in mind; South of the highway in my experience takes longer to dry out after rain and therefore is generally wetter. I would recommend staying North of the highway. Make sure you take basic supplies for yourself and your bike. Fluids to rehydrate is a must.
A good trail to start on would be the Woodpecker Trail on the West Side, (north of highway only). See map attached. Start at the ‘208 Trailhead’ and ride down to the highway where you can then exit the trail. If something goes wrong with the bike you are never too far from the road here and also if you go on the weekend there are always other people riding who will be happy to help if you run into any mechanical or other issues. I have some video that I took riding the forest last weekend that I haven’t got round to uploading yet but will try to get it done in the next couple of days.
Lots of great folks here who will be able to share some of their local knowledge on good routes around your area. Hopefully see you on a ride soon.

Attachments

• 373278ED-932F-4CBB-ACB6-2FAE62613097.jpeg
    373278ED-932F-4CBB-ACB6-2FAE62613097.jpeg
    865.8 KB · Views: 137
Hi TrailTime,

Thanks for the advice.
There is a good chance that I will be free for a ride next weekend. I hope we can meet.

I was out by the North West trail head a few weeks ago and had a talk with a guy loading up his TW200 who gave similar advice. He recommended that I stick to the trails North of 1375 (Balloon N. and S.) as the trails South of there were a lot more muddy. Still with no personal knowledge of those trails, I would feel better going the first time with someone who knows the area.

20+ years ago I had a buddy that liked to ride around Kelly's Pond. I went riding there with him several times on my KX and what I remember is that it was one mud pit after another all day. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against a long slog in the mud, but 20+ years ago it would have been easier for me to pull out a stuck bike by myself.

I also need to get some more protective gear, some better boots and maybe some pants with pads in them. Back in the day I rode without a lot of that stuff, but I was probably less likely to hurt myself and more likely to heal faster back then. The way I see it, if you NEVER fall, you aren't pushing yourself hard enough. So I should be prepared for the inevitable.

That’s true but one of the things I like about riding a bigger DS bike vs an enduro machine is that I find it focuses the attention more on doing the basics right, picking lines, shifting weight, looking ahead etc rather than just going fast which is what you tend to do on the smaller bikes. The consequence of injury in a crash is always lower at low speed and in my opinion you’re less likely to have a major injury off road on one of the bike bikes. My objective on the bike bike is always not to crash as it’s such a pain to pick up! I have had my share of big off-road crashes and injuries but all on smaller bikes at higher speed. The right protective gear is a must in any case as you know I’m sure.

Absolutely, I agreee with everything you said.
And, just to be clear, I don't WANT to crash. But I do want to GENTLY push my limits and the only way I've ever been able to figure out where my limits are is by occasionally going just a little past them. That said, I am a very cautious rider. If we go riding together, you won't need to worry about me taking stupid risks. You are more likely to have to spend time waiting for me to catch up. :) Big crash=way past my limits and that is not where I want to be.

I will definitely be taking it slower than I would have decades ago on my old KX.

Speaking for myself, Big bikes and big boys on trails is like being on a treadmill, not much fun after a bit.

I stopped riding my super tenere on the trails in the woods after getting stuck a few times and finding it tough to turn around in some tight ,slick spots. I bought a drz400s for that and love it. Also a friend reminded me of the damage and cost that could occur from a single get off.

I might enjoy riding the trails in a sub-300lb enduro bike, but even then I'm not sure. I really prefer more open tracks to ride on. I do enjoy more challenging terrain, just not for miles on end.

Back