• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

West Houston DS Riders

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Hello inmates,

A couple of fellers and I are putting together a group of dual sport riders around the west Houston and Katy areas. This could be a place to post up day rides, impromptu meetups, wrench parties or needs, etc... Big bikes are welcome too, but keep in mind that there will more than likely be at least some dirt on the rides. If we get enough interested and want to start a weekly or monthly meetup, we can open a new post for that.

If interested, chime in with a simple introduction. If you have any day trips in mind, feel free to post that up here too, but if it is a significant planned trip, then it would be better to post it separately.

An intro for me: I am in Katy and ride a CRF250L Rally. I used to ride hard, broke stuff, got older and fatter, and now like to keep the speeds down, find the back-country roads (hopefully dirt), hit up a local burger joint, and soak in the world around me.

I have put together some GPX tracks on the computer and am in the process of riding or driving them to confirm. Once I have one confirmed, I’ll post it up and see if we can organize a ride. The mileages below are based on starting at Bucee’s in Katy on I-10, contain as much dirt and back roads as I can find, and are intended to be day rides and lunch.

In progress:
  • Brazos river, north of I-10 to Hempstead – 115 miles
  • Brazos river, mostly south of I-10 – 120 miles
In the plans near west Houston:
  • Colorado river, south of I-10 – 140 miles
  • Brazos Bend SP area – 100 miles
  • Katy to Round Top (mostly paved) – 160-200 miles
In the future, Texas hill country around Blanco and Canyon Lake areas (may combine):
  • Guadalupe river, Kendalia, Twin Sisters – 100 miles
  • Wimberly, Deep Eddie – 90 miles
  • Blanco, Lukenbach – 100 miles

I would be interested. I am located in Northwest Houston -- FM 1960 east of Willowbrook Mall.
I could only go on Saturdays or Sundays as I work during the week.
I ride a KTM 500 EXC.

Thanks for working on this Chris!

Looking forward to some folks joining up to ride.

Areas I currently ride:

SHNF forest/access roads alot those consist of (gravel,dirt and occasionally big rocks)

County Roads between SHNF and Navasota area. More of the same.

Brazos Bend(mostly paved,but slot of small interesting back roads to explore and tool around on.

Brazoria Natl Wildlife Refuge.(Dirt/Gravel)

VStrom 650 adventure....hard cases are off for dirt exploration.

Sounds good. Post some dates when ready. The Xr650l needs a good work out.

I'm in Cypress and would be up for this sort of thing. I've run rides around houston before, but have been out due to a crash related injury from last fall. I'm just getting back into riding and can currently do about 4 hours with a break halfway through. I rode a DR650, though a little slower than I used to.

I've got a good route that goes out to Fayetteville, passes through San Felipe, near Hempstead, and usually starts and ends in Waller. The start/finish could easily be altered.

I also have a couple other good routes, but they're more north than west of Houston.

You got my interest when you said lunch. I've found some good roads around Cat Springs, New Ulm and Fayetteville.

Sounds great. Looking forward to riding with the group.
I'm south in Friendswood.

Yes, that is exactly where one of my routes goes through. The southwest portion of this track is mostly dirt. I was going to try and get most if not all of this track confirmed this weekend if I have time, but the weather is not looking good.

Here is the other one. I have about 70% of this one confirmed (all but the southern portion). I hit some significant flooding down there when I tried a few weeks ago and had to decide how nasty I wanted to get. I elected to turn back when the two track road vanished into about 50 yards of standing water. I rerouted the track around that piece of road but have not been back. I am pretty sure that most of that southern part is dirt. Also, the portion heading southeast of San Felipe is dirt.

Given a non-tasked weekend and weather alignment, I’d be interested. I’m in Clearlake near NASA with an r1100GS commuter but want more interesting rides than up IH45 to downtown...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: my6
Given a non-tasked weekend and weather alignment, I’d be interested. I’m in Clearlake near NASA with an r1100GS commuter but want more interesting rides than up IH45 to downtown...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Derek,
I've been out with @my6 @polarbeardj @stephensatt and some others...we typically are doing stuff like the fire roads in SHNF, dirt roads on boundaries of greater Houston area and back roads paved and other.

Some dirt....some paved.

You obviously have something else in mind. Elaborate...
I'm pretty sure Irish is thinking riding real trails and connecting on dirt roads as necessary or at least challenging roads which are hard to find around here. Your pictures and what I do on my GS is more gravel road exploring. Most of the time a Harley could get through, although at a slower pace. I understand what he means. I personally enjoy both styles. Problem around here you have to go so far to find dirt you need a comfortable bike in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure Irish is thinking riding real trails and connecting on dirt roads as necessary or at least challenging roads which are hard to find around here. Your pictures and what I do on my GS is more gravel road exploring. Most of the time a Harley could get through, although at a slower pace. I understand what he means. I personally enjoy both styles. Problem around here you have to go so far to find dirt you need a comfortable bike in my opinion.
I can agree with that! Although there's enough rocks and divots that become challenging. So let's say we are dirt road explorers.

I can agree with that! Although there's enough rocks and divots that become challenging. So let's say we are dirt road explorers.
And I'm not knocking what you are doing, I do the same!! Now if i take you on my Catfish loop a couple of days after a rain, it can be challenging on big bikes, in a good way(usually), lol. We have turned back before because it was too dangerous, and these are county roads!!

I didn't take it that way. Was just curious on what some other ideas were. I really don't see many folks riding singletrack other than the guys with MX bikes. Most of the Dual sports I see are doing the same kind of explanatory riding that we are, but my world/circle is small and relatively new.

I didn't take it that way. Was just curious on what some other ideas were. I really don't see many folks riding singletrack other than the guys with MX bikes. Most of the Dual sports I see are doing the same kind of explanatory riding that we are, but my world/circle is small and relatively new.
I'm the nut that occasionally rides my DR on single track. It's quite a workout. I also ride it around the MX tracks at 3 Palms once.

The gravel road thing is much more typical though. There isn't much around that's challenging, unfortunately. It's mostly straight and well graded around here. I know a couple of water crossings, but they're really not hard and there's rarely water worth mentioning in them. If there is, they're usually too flooded to be passable. But that's riding near Houston. We take what we can get!

I ride for the scenery and to be outdoors! I would love to be able to do some deep tracks but I'm afraid that the speed at which I prefer to ride is too slow for most. I stick to dirt and gravel because I can mosy along at my own pace.

Back