• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

West Houston DS Riders

Anyone interested in riding a couple of short sections of the OHV trails in SHNF this weekend?
I want to try two or more sections that are only about a mile or two each. Then mix in some of the nearby forest roads.
Yes quite possibly. Let’s see what the weather is like closer to the time.

I was actually thinking same, weather notwithstanding. If trails are closed, anybody up for Creekside? I’m not super experienced w dirt, I could use some company to help film my inevitable falls.

The weather is not looking great for today.
There wasn't THAT much rain yesterday and the recorded message from last week still says that the SHNF trails are open. But the message may change after they open this morning, it looks like there is still a 40% chance of more rain today. and it is probably going to be a bit soggy in any case.

I would like to try going tomorrow. Maybe starting at 10 or 11 AM. Would that work for anyone else? If not, I am flexible on the time.

I’m a strong maybe for tomorrow. Earlier in the day might be even better for me. I would trailer my bike there. Sounds like your ‘short manageable sections’ plan would be a good fit for me too. Will keep an eye on weather.

Attachments

• 268B9644-7692-4336-9B9A-770CFD7713B1.jpeg
    268B9644-7692-4336-9B9A-770CFD7713B1.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 125
I can do earlier. What time do you have in mind?
BTW, what do you ride? I'm on a DR650.
Maybe 9, 9:30? It’ll be colder and wetter I’m guessing so... not sure best plan here. I’ll try to have my trailer loaded tonight in case earlier looks ok. Where do you plan to park / trailhead?

I was hoping that it was going to dry out and warm up more today than it has.
I'm starting to have second thoughts.
I would be riding out there, so the earlier it is, the colder that ride will be.
It might be better to wait for more conducive weather.

Put down 300 miles today, had a good time. This Tiger always surprises me. Straight as an arrow on gravel and dirt roads on the Metzler tourances, and can drift around a gravel corner at 40+ no problem. Not sure I'd want to shove the 19" front wheel on 90/10 tires thru SHNF sand and mud, but for the gravel we have, this is the perfect bike.

175878440_10226290805717812_5141912585591056607_n.jpg
173552359_10226289122515733_2329413739243960469_n.jpg

Put down 300 miles today, had a good time. This Tiger always surprises me. Straight as an arrow on gravel and dirt roads on the Metzler tourances, and can drift around a gravel corner at 40+ no problem. Not sure I'd want to shove the 19" front wheel on 90/10 tires thru SHNF sand and mud, but for the gravel we have, this is the perfect bike.

View attachment 290994View attachment 290995
Glad you had a good ride! I’m very sure it does drift around gravel corners on those tires!😉

I'm in Woodlands this weekend. How muddy do you guys think the roads will be by Sunday? Looking to go out and ride.

I'm just a few minutes North of The Woodlands and there hasn't been much rain yet.
Saturday and Sunday are both shaping up to be really nice days. I'll almost certainly be riding some of the near by forest service roads Sunday.

@StuckInTheMud what are you planning?

Im thinking about riding tomorrow. I have done the Cheeseburguer loop, and I’m taking a look at @Tourmeister latest ride.

On the Cheeseburguer loop is there a Cheeseburguer along the way? Last time I rode it all the way without stopping.

The traditional burger stop on the cheeseburger loop is Yankees tavern in Carlos. Big hit with the cruiser crowd and there's often a wait.

This is Cheeseburguer Loop https://go.rever.co/7SqidsWrJfb

Your route looks kind of like the first third of the loop.

This is Tourmeister’s recent route https://www.twtex.com/forums/thread...n-huntsville-and-elkhart-gpx-included.126807/
OK, I was looking at Tourmeister's route recently, and cheese burger does have some overlap of what I was planning.

Google estimates that mine will be about three hours and I don't have a lot more time than that today. I've ridden about 70% of it before. It is about 50% forest roads with a little highway thrown in to stitch the dirt/gravel together. I really don't enjoy highway miles on my little DR650. I'm thinking about heading out around 11:00 or 12:00.

Looking forward to it.
I'm hoping to spend a week riding/camping around the Austin/central Texas area in the fall, once it starts to cool off.

I ended up redoing the Cheeseburger loop. This time it wasn’t winter so the roads were prettier.

I did stop at Yankees tavern. Burguer was decent. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone that dislikes big crowds, it was full, and everyone was living this pre pandemic fantasy.

Back