• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

West Texas Twin Buttes lake ride DEC 8-10

Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Last Name
Edwards
I know that it is extremely short notice. I have been wanting to put together a little adventure ride in my area for a bit. I was unsure if I can put together enough areas to entertain the adventurous folks here.

While out scouting this weekend I visited the Twin Buttes recreation area yesterday and it has hundreds of trails and tracks perfect for some fun. It is about an 8000 acres and has tons of Jeep trails and single track trails that total about 1I1 miles of Enduro single track. It would be very easy to spend the entire day on your pegs exploring this place. I would call the trails class 2 with a few sections of class 3 if you want more of a challenge. I do not know the trails very well but there are 3 large landmarks that you just aim for and make your way there. There are literally thousand of trail splits. It will be true exploration ride within bounds.

It should be big bike friendly some pavement riding that will be about 65mph or slower.

I have a cabin in Mertzon Tx with plenty of camping room( NO ROOM for RV's. ) Plenty of tent room or bring a cot and sleeping bag and crash inside on the loft which will hold 8-10 easily it also has about 1000 sqft of covered porches. There will be about 18 miles of pavement riding to and from the lake area. If anyone is interested let me know via PM or call or Text 325-650-7049.

Note Texas Parks and Wildlife requires a "limited Use Permit" 12.00 and a OHV decal for 20.00 available locally. If I know how many are coming I can get the OHV in advance. The Permits can be purchased at anyplace that sells hunting and fishing license.

Interesting - never heard of the place. Post up a photo or two, if you have any.

Sounds interesting. I have a Hill Country ride planned but per forecast might be too cold for my riding buddy. If he bails I'll be up for this.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I don't have privileges to post pics. I am a paid supporter, but I don't know if that matters. Im not sure how its is done on this forum. If someone has the ability to post pics give me an email.
The tempature should be 35 in the morning which is a bit cool. I figure maybe get out around 930 or so let it warm up. Ill fix breakfast burritos and hot coffee till the chill eases up a bit, high will be 65 degrees so just about perfect for a good ride.

Lat31.3970 longitude -100.5590 is center of enduro track
Lat 31.3756. Longitude -100.5607 is another area that I rode the other day. That only about 800 acres. There is many more areas to explore.

Images from Westtexasadv:

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1166.jpg
    IMG_1166.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_1165.jpg
    IMG_1165.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1167.jpg
    IMG_1167.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
This event has been canceled. Due to large rain today which is going to make that a big mudhole. Will try to reschedule something for the spring.

I see that the event is cancelled. I am going to be out of town this weekend but would be interested in doing some riding. I am in the San Angelo area.

I was in San Angelo for the weekend and drove by the OHV area this morning to see what I could see from my truck. I'm interested in doing a Twin Buttes weekend ride in the fall. Its close to motels / hotels for the non-campers like me.

Twin Buttes OHV Area
(ATVs, Motorcycles, and ROVs)
Near San Angelo/Tom Green County
Twin Buttes Marina Park Road
San Angelo, TX 76904
325-656-2608
325-657-4450

Back