• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Westbound Flight

Hey RB,

Squeaky told me about your trip. Glad to hear that you made it there & have started back. :thumb: Hope the weather improves for you. Looking forward to more pics. :popcorn:

36-hour forecast shows that dropping south is probably a good idea.

map_qpf_36hrfcst_4namus_enus_600x405.jpg

Warning, she may want to slow down a bit:

us_radar_plus_usen.jpg

:eek2:

Tornadoes have sprouted in Texas and Oklahoma this evening, the start of a dangerous outbreak that is expected to continue through Thursday. Earlier this evening, there were reports of an overturned tractor-trailer and a roof blown off a house from a tornado over one hundred miles west of Dallas.

Severe thunderstorm and tornado watches are in effect until the early morning hours in anticipation of thunderstorms producing tornadoes, hail, and strong winds.

The northern half of Texas, much of Oklahoma, and western Arkansas appear to be the most susceptible to these severe storms.

A severe weather outbreak -- perhaps one of the most prolific of the season -- will continue through the day on Thursday.

A large part of the central U.S., from Illinois southward through east Texas and Louisiana, will see a threat of tornadoes, damaging winds gusts, and large hail.

Residents in these areas need to monitor the weather situation in their area very closely and take appropriate action should severe storms move in.

Day 03
Saturday, April 5, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
50 miles

Today was a much needed day of rest (at least from the bike). My parents and I got up early and had breakfast in the restaurant at the Doubletree resort we were staying at.

They graciously drove me to a nearby OSH (hardware store) where I bought an assortment of torx bits (I could NOT remember what size the valve cover bolts were). Deciding that dirty fingernails and weddings do not mix, I held off on actually pulling the cover until that evening.

Steven and Allison’s wedding was casual and comfortable. I saw a few friends that I hadn’t seen in several years. After a short ceremony, we mingled on the lawn of the park. Dinner was a tri-tip, rib, and chicken BBQ (in CA that means grilled :P ) with traditional Santa Maria fixing’s (potato salad, green salad, beans, garlic bread).

DSC_0020.jpg

Back at the hotel, I sat next to the R1200ST in the dark. With the light of an LED headlamp, I pulled the left valve cover off. As I suspected, the “donut seal” around the spark plug shaft was misaligned. It was now slightly malformed. I cleaned it and reinstalled it, hoping that it would at least slow the leak.

Day 04
Sunday, April 6, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA to Cupertino, CA
341 miles

Waving goodbye to my parents, my first attempt to leave the hotel parking lot resulted in a stalled bike and a sheepish grin.

I started (successfully) the day’s ride by heading up and away from the coast on San Marcos pass (CA 154), a badly-kept secret shortcut of US101. It had been foggy and overcast on the coast, but as soon as I got on the other side of the first set of mountains, sunny blue skies greeted me.

HPIM1858s.jpg

HPIM1862s.jpg

HPIM1865s.jpg

California’s famous golden hills are green this time of year, but there were lots of patches of golden poppies, bright yellow mustard flowers, and waving blue lupine.

HPIM1867s.jpg

HPIM1870s.jpg

Coming down off the pass, I followed US101 to Pismo Beach. Just a few blocks from the ocean in “downtown” Pismo, Splash Café makes the tastiest, most wonderful clam chowder in the world (in my opinion).

My college town, San Luis Obispo, is just 15 miles up US101. Price Canyon Road, an alternate route from San Luis Obispo, runs inland through rolling hills. Back in college, when I had my Honda 80cc scooter, I would pack a bag with textbooks and ride down to the coast for an afternoon of studying on the beach, always punctuated with a sourdough bread bowl of clam chowder with seafood topping.

At just 11:30, the line was already out the door.

HPIM1876s.jpg

HPIM1873s.jpg

My plan for the day was to hug the coast all the way up to Santa Cruz. Back in college I would do this run as a weekend lunch ride, so I knew that Highway 1 from San Luis Obispo to Cambria was fairly boring. I had planned to liven up the route with a short trip inland to a couple of very special Central Coast roads.

I headed north to Santa Margarita. CA58 always makes it onto lists of the “Best Roads” in California. I’ve run it many times, but it’s always nice to revisit, even if only for a short distance. I like to think that the engineer who designed this road liked motorcycles.

HPIM1878s.jpg

HPIM1880s.jpg

Turning north onto CA227, I swooped and curved through rolling green hills. This road is unique in that it is one of very few numbered California state highways with no center line. Care must be taken in the many blind curves to stay to the right. This undulating, twisting road is a roller coaster. Due to the narrowness, there were very few spots where I felt comfortable pulling over.

HPIM1884s.jpg

HPIM1880s.jpg

I finally headed back toward the ocean on CA46. It was definitely wildflower season along this road.

HPIM1886s.jpg

HPIM1890s.jpg

HPIM1891s.jpg

I don’t think I’ve ever taken so many pictures along Highway 1. When I was in college nearby, it was a regular weekend ride for me, nothing hugely special. Many of the curves and distinct sections were like old friends. I vividly remember all the times I stopped for coffee at Ragged Point, gas at Gorda, and lunch in Big Sur.

HPIM1895s.jpg

HPIM1896s.jpg

The elephant seals were out in force north of San Simeon.

HPIM1899s.jpg

HPIM1904s.jpg

The fun really begins north of Ragged Point. The coastal mountains fall steeply into the Pacific Ocean, making for a thrilling ride hugging the slopes.

HPIM1907s.jpg

HPIM1908s.jpg

HPIM1909s.jpg

HPIM1913s.jpg

HPIM1917s.jpg

HPIM1922s.jpg

HPIM1926s.jpg

The vista point turnout overlooking Big Creek Bridge is a traditional stop for me. I always park the bike in the same place and take the same shot. I’ve got photographs of all my bikes (except for the scooter and the new GS of course) at this exact spot.

HPIM1929s.jpg

HPIM1931s.jpg

I’ve actually already got this shot of the ST, but I just had to grab another. I love this bridge. Really, I love all the 1930’s coastal bridges. The arches are so graceful and beautiful.

I slowed to pass through Big Sur and then crossed the Bixby Bridge (another delicious ‘30s structure). I’ve always considered this the end of the fun part of the coast road until you get north of San Francisco. The traffic between Big Sur and Carmel makes this stretch either a “passing fest” or a 2nd gear “hope the bike doesn’t stall following this RV” ordeal. I opted for a little bit of passing, a little bit of following.

From Carmel to Half Moon Bay, Highway 1 is mostly straight with a few stretches of freeway. I had been considering running all the way up to Santa Cruz and taking CA9 over into Saratoga, but I decided in the end to cross via Soquel-San Jose Road. This less well-known road through the redwoods has long been one of my favorites.

I would be staying the night with my friend (and motorcycling idol!) Carolyn (“Bluepoof” on several motorcycle forums). I arrived at her house around 6pm. After unpacking the bike and changing into “street” clothes, we chatted about cats and moto-camping gear until it was time to go to dinner.

We met about 12 members of Sport-Touring.Net at the “New Saffron Club” in Mountain View. All of us opted for the buffet, enjoying various curries, vindaloo, and other Indian dishes.

Carolyn, her husband Peter, and I finished off the outing with a trip to a local Asian supermarket. There, next to durian and taro popsicles, just down the aisle from the fish balls (yummy?), Carolyn stocked up to satisfy her sudden mochi craving.

Day 05
Monday, April 7, 2008
Cupertino, CA to Death Valley, CA
475 miles

It was a parade of the Beemers as Carolyn led me out of her subdivision this morning. She was on her way to work. I was on my way to motorcycle paradise.

HPIM1933s.jpg

As I visualize it, there are three valleys heading south toward the Central Coast. US101 is the western-most, for those with destinations along the coast. I-5 traverses the Central Valley, with the lion’s share of travelers. Running down an incredibly scenic and rural valley between them, CA-25 is an almost deserted road that sees only local traffic…. And motorcyclists/sports cars.

In the 60 miles between Hollister and CA-198, it is not uncommon to pass only 15 other vehicles. Cell service is very spotty. It’s just you, your motorcycle, throttle-tempting straights, vertigo inducing curves, and scenic California country-side.

I’ll let the photos speak for themselves.

HPIM1934s.jpg

HPIM1936s.jpg

HPIM1938s.jpg

HPIM1939s.jpg

HPIM1942s.jpg

HPIM1945s.jpg

HPIM1946s.jpg

HPIM1950s.jpg

HPIM1952s.jpg

HPIM1953s.jpg

HPIM1957s.jpg

HPIM1960s.jpg

CA-25 terminates at CA-198, a busy thoroughfare between US101 and I-5. (CA-198 later continues on to climb into Sequoia Kings Canyon NP, an incredibly steep switchback-fest)

I turned east onto CA-198, immediately gaining serious altitude climbing over a pass. This road is a roller coaster! Unfortunately there is always so much traffic that it’s hard to find good places to stop.

HPIM1962s.jpg

HPIM1965s.jpg

Reaching the Central Valley, I got on I-5 for the grind south toward Bakersfield and CA-178 (Walker Pass).

Early spring conditions limited my choices for crossing the Sierras. Most of the really fun passes will still be choked with snow for a few more months. Walker Pass is the first open pass south of I-80 (Donner Pass).

The pass follows the Kern River up to Lake Isabella. I’ve never taken this road, so my first inkling that it was going to be fun was the view of the huge opening in the Sierra foothills.

HPIM1969s.jpg

The Kern River canyon was a typical river canyon, with curves hugging the hillside and great views of the water rushing over the rocky riverbed.

HPIM1974s.jpg

HPIM1978s.jpg

HPIM1981s.jpg

Like many Sierra passes, the flora changed noticeably as I crossed. Lush and grassy on the western slopes, desert plant-life took over on the eastern side.

HPIM1985s.jpg

HPIM1986s.jpg

Crossing the Panamint Mountains, I started to feel hot. I‘d been wearing my liners all day, but with very few miles to go and the sun getting low in the sky, I didn‘t want to take the time to pull them out.

I stopped at the park entrance to add another sign to my growing collection.

HPIM1991s.jpg

With my destination for the night so close, I had a hard time stopping to see the attractions. This was exacerbated by the park service’s frequent use of signs reminding travelers to “park off pavement.” Yeah. Fat chance. I don’t THINK so!

HPIM1994s.jpg

HPIM1998s.jpg

HPIM2000s.jpg

HPIM2006s.jpg

Very ready to call it a night, I stopped at the Furnace Creek Market for some bottled water, peach iced tea, and a sticker for the R1200ST before setting up camp. My Jetboil made short work of the water for my backpacking food. I was soon sleeping comfortably in my tent.

HPIM2009s.jpg

Beautiful! Central California is just gorgeous in the Spring. I missed CA-25 when I was there, but spent some time on 198, since I was going from Monterey to Visalia. The almond and pistachio groves were in bloom when I went through. The road was fun in a car, and I can just imagine it on a bike. You're making me jealous. Keep it coming!

Looks like thing are going well. Thanks for the updates and near-real time pix.

How's that seal doin'? (the oil seal, not the elephant seal :-P ).

Nice trip report. I can never stop to take that many pictures. I carry the camera but rarely use it.

It's a shame so many tourists are souly enamoured with the PCH, it is nice, but there are so many gems just on the other side of the mountains. I'm a big fan of red wine, so the vineyards are my favorite places to visit.

Interesting to see I'm not alone in my admiration of bridge architecture. My first big trip west was after my freshman year of college (I was an architecture/civil eng. major my first year) to ride the PCH from L.A. to Cape Disappointment, just over the OR/WA border. That seemed to take forever. But I was interested in the bridges I had learned about in school. Worth the trip just for that.

My successive trips to CA were much more off the beaten path. I'm considering a trip to NorCal to dig up abalone and tear up the forest roads with some friends in a few weeks.

Much jealousy, looks like a gorgeous ride thus far.

Ok guys... this is bugging me (a couple people referred to it this way). I DIDN'T RIDE THE PCH!

The PCH is ONLY in Southern California (as evidenced by the "The" always put in front of it) and is very little fun. Scenic, I guess, but giant houses and cheesy resorts line the beach. Think "Malibu".

The part of the coast road that I was on is simply called "One" or "Highway One" by most people. The state calls it the Cabrillo Highway.

Anyone who's never been there wouldn't know that. Everyone knows what PCH is. Don't get upset about it. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Every time I see pictures of CA I physically ache. Wow it is beautiful. Makes me just want to quit my job and move. :giveup:

Becca - Great ride report so far! Please stay safe in the bad weather you're running into.

Don't forget that you're seeing the prettiest time of year for that part of CA. It gets quite brown and dry later on. I still like it, though.

Hey RB,

Where was the teaser pic taken at? :eek2:

or rather Squeaky ..... where is she? :giveup:

Be safe & keep up the great ride report and awesome pics. :clap:

The PCH is ONLY in Southern California (as evidenced by the "The" always put in front of it)

Hehehe. Reminds me of a discussion I had about "The Ten"... it took me a few minutes to realize the commies... err... SoCal folks were talking about I-10.

I just read that huge post about the SPOT. Ooh, I want one! :lol2:

Seriously I think that would give my husband some peace of mind if I go off riding without him. ;-)

Squeaky - Any update on Becca?

Looks like you are having a blast. See you tomorrow afternoon.

Back