• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What’s the best scam line you have heard!

GRU

Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Grundy
How about this one: I can’t call you about the bike, because the submarine only surfaces once a day and that’s when we send text’s.
Or, my phone is getting repaired, so I can only text.

I have a title, just not sure where it is.

Well, there's this one.....

Attachments

• starship warranty.jpg
    starship warranty.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 175
One time I bought a used Spyder for my wife.
The seller said his partner in California had the title and would send it to him.
I said OK but to make sure I get the title I am holding back $1000. He agreed.
I kept calling him and he had crazy excuse after crazy excuse and I finally gave up and got a Bonded title for about $250.
I came out ahead on that one.
I am not sure what was going on, he had the keys and it was not stolen. Go figure.

I'm not sure it would fall into a "Best" category but the funniest was several years ago when I got an email from a friend who was in jail in Indonesia. While on vacation he'd been robbed and couldn't pay his hotel bill so they'd had him thrown in the pokey and he needed $2400 to get squared away, like rat now!

I'd seen him in town at Kroger just a few days before so sent him a link to one of those "Nigerian Prince" scam emails . . . and a "real" email to let him know that someone had gotten to his address list and he should change his password.

We had some friends get an email like that from my father in-law in Uganda. They sent it to us out of concern but he was fine of course. I tired to email back and forth with them to catch them but they got scared and bailed.

My mom actually got a phone call from my "son" in Florida from jail trying to get "bail" money. They knew his name and her name.

I like the ones who play the military card and say they can only text ... no phone calls allowed. Of course they want to have the bike shipped to them.

I need a Vin report, here is a link to get a vin report. Of course the link is there own, so they can get your credit card number.

I was in Wells Fargo Bank one Saturday morning.
This man went to the teller and tried to get $10,000.
For whatever reason they would not give it to him. (perhaps he did not have that much in his account)
He was pissed and as he was going out he shouted his son was in Thailand in the hospital, could not speak and they needed $10,000 to do an operation.
I called out to the Head Teller that I knew and told her this guy was getting scammed.
I called him over before he went out the door and the Head Teller explained it was a scam.
He did not believe us and rushed out the door cussing us under his breath.
I sure hope he did not send the money.

Years - no, decades - ago, I was in a long checkout line at a Kroger. There was a teenager ahead of me trying to buy beer. He had a driver's license that had been peeled opened, a picture inserted, and scotch-taped shut. This license belonged in the Bad Fake ID Hall of Fame. The cashier popped her gum, then told him she'd have to have the manager approve the sale. The manager walked over, looked over the ID, and told the kid they couldn't accept it as valid ID because it was damaged. This kid, probably 16, went into the the most self-righteous anger speech I'd heard in a while, followed by his shouting "I'll never shop here again!", and stormed out. The audience (me included) enjoyed the floor show that entertained us in line, and laughed and applauded the whole thing. The manager took a bow.

This man went to the teller and tried to get $10,000.
For whatever reason they would not give it to him. (perhaps he did not have that much in his account)

I called him over before he went out the door and the Head Teller explained it was a scam.
He did not believe us and rushed out the door cussing us under his breath.
I assume everyone does this, but our cashiers have to go through Anti Money Laundering and Scam awareness training before they can perform any kind of Money Services transactions. We don't have to have the "talk" with customers very often, but when we do they are usually very hard to convince and many will storm out and you know they are just going to go to another money services location and then lie about why they need the money.

Not best, but the one I'm getting the most of recently.

"Is your <bike listed on Craigslist> still for sale? I'm very interested, I used to own <same model of bike>, love those bikes, have <asking price> cash in hand. Could I come by and see it this week maybe? I'm in <some place a good distance away from the listing>, before I make the long drive, would you run a VIN check for me so that I can be sure it hasn't been crashed or stolen? You can use www.scamvincheckerthatprofitsme.com to run it and just send me the results. You can't be too safe these days, you know! Thanks! -<Legit sounding name>"

Frequently this is broken into two emails, one "is it available/I'm very interested/can I come see it" and the second "ok cool that's a long way away can you fall for my scam instead please?"

I need a Vin report, here is a link to get a vin report. Of course the link is there own, so they can get your credit card number.

Yeah, this.

Back