• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What a week (slightly graphic)

m4f3w

Reaction score
Early Sunday morning I ended up in a motorcycle accident. As painful as it is, I'm very lucky.

I'm diligent about my gear. I was wearing jeans, a t-shirt, a 2 piece Aerostich Roadcrafter, a Shoei RF-1200 helmet, BMW touring boots, and some Klim gloves.

I'm unsure what caused the front wheel to wobble, but it ended up in a tank slapper. I ended up sliding feet first.

I managed to pick the bike up (2015 KTM Super Adventure) and ride to a gastation (was starting to show low fuel - but it may have been accident related) after filling up the tank, the bike wouldn't start.

So I pushed it up to a parking spot and called an Uber to take me home.

I went and laid down, I think the adrenelin dump caused me to crash out.

I woke up a few hours later to find myself stuck to all the sheets.

1671391349_20221211_212940_mmthumb.jpg

1671391417_20221211_212949_mmthumb.jpg

1671391435_20221211_212923_mmthumb.jpg

I did not think I needed care, but my daughter and my friend forced me to go to the ER around 1:30pm.

At the ER they gave me some IV pain. medicine, did CTscans of my head and abdomen, and Xrays of my chest and right leg/knee. Everything internal looked fine.

They sent me home with a prescription for 8 Tylenol 3, some 2% lidocaine liquid, and neosporin. With instructions to put the lidocaine on, wait 30 mins, then take a shower and clean the abrasions.

We went to pharmacy to fill the scripts and they said 30-40 mins. Asked for the lidocaine immediately, so we could put it on in the car. Started with my legs and arm and it was pure torture. I got nauseous and broke out in a sweat. I decided we could not put it on my abdomen until I had some of the Tylenol3.

We go to my friends house and I take 2 of the Tylenol3 (as prescribed) as I try to prepare myself for the burn of the lidocaine. Finally survive that and get in the shower while my friend tries scrubbing my wounds - I allowed as much as I could stand, but barely made a dent in anything. We then smeared neosporin on everything.

My friend brought me back home and I went to bed, after telling my team I was in a minor motorcycle accident and I'd likely be late in the AM. The discharge instructions said to leave it uncovered. But during the night, I of course pulled sheets and blanket over me. So, as expected, I was stuck to the bedding Monday morning. It wasn't until about noon that I managed to get the lidocaine everywhere and a little after 1pm when I finally made it out of the shower after washing with dial gold.

I wasn't able to work at all Monday.

Early Monday evening, I started getting very cold. Initially I turned on the heat (it was 72F) and then realized, oh, I should check for a fever... berkeley! 101. And the wounds were looking TERRIBLE.

1671391468_20221212_210607_mmthumb.jpg

1671391485_20221213_023141_mmthumb.jpg

I called the ER back and they said to come in and let them look at it. I called my friend and asked for a ride. We arrived around 1030pm. The doctor (different from the night before) immediately told me to go lay down on a bed. They quickly hooked up an IV, pulled some blood to test for an internal infection, and started me on dilauded and a bunch of antibiotics. The doctor was very nice, she said we need to debride the wounds. Of course, that terrified me. But she assured me, she would make sure I was ok.

They gave me another dose of dilauded and prepared to clean the wounds. It hurt like **** and they gave me another 1/2 (dose or whatever) of the dilauded again. It was still incredibly painful, but we managed to get through it.

1671391502_20221213_031000_mmthumb.jpg

1671391517_20221213_030948_mmthumb.jpg

I ended up being the ER for about 27 hours the 2nd time around. They made sure my white blood cell count came down, but my red blood count was dropping, too,

Eventually they figured it out it wasn't because of internal bleeding, but due to the multitude of bags of antibiotics they pushed in my system. 2 more CT scans and I was sent on my way, with my wounds dressed. They sent us home with everything to re-dress the wounds again on Thursday and then told me to make an appointment for wound care for Friday.

1671391530_20221214_002221_mmthumb.jpg

Injuries to my right hand, elbow, hip, knee, and calf - along with the abdomen. Bruised all over, of course, but so very lucky.

Wound care was absolutely excruciating on Friday though. It was one of the most horrific experiances of my life. I go back next Friday, dressing wounds at home every 2 days before then.

My gear sacrificed itself to save me.

1671327062_image_mmthumb.jpg

1671327107_image_mmthumb.jpg

1671327035_image_mmthumb.jpg

Those jeans were on under the Aerostich. Even my wallet, which was in front right pocket has abrasions and ruined a credit card.

But... I know I'm super lucky. Ridicously lucky. I slid on the pavement, didn't impact anything, or tumble too much.

Now for the big UP of the week!!!

nc_ohc=yed8qmuvZ10AX-q0hcE&_nc_ht=scontent.faus1-1.jpg

8CzD2L&tn=GFe3A_7tSHRr2yqp&_nc_ht=scontent.faus1-1.jpg

nc_ohc=cfjZoUA4gNEAX_UC13U&_nc_ht=scontent.faus1-1.jpg

I turn 43 on Monday. I've wanted to be able to purchase a home my entire life. But having kids at an early age caused everlasting financial issues.

My youngest (19 years old)is currently apartment shopping with her soon to be roommate (they both work production at Tesla's Gigatexas) and so I'll live, happily, alone for the first time since October 2000 - and that was only a 3 month period.

I signed the contract about 6 weeks after I broke off an engagement for a relationship that had become very unhealthy, for both of us.

Also - I knew of my realtor through Autocross circles (SPOKES in Austin - even though I haven't been active in forever)

I am lucky, my friend was amazing to me, and life is good.

You are lucky your friend took you to ER. You have a long heal with that road rash. Do you mind sharing how fast and was it rough pavement.

Wow. Um, congrats? Definitely congrats on your new home!

And ATC, if ya gotta crash…no broken bones, no surgery required, no one else injured, no other vehicles involved…👍🏻

Been able to retrieve your bike yet?

I too am curious about speed and conditions.

Glad you are, on the whole, ok!

It was MoPac in Austin. Pavement was ok, I'm not sure if there was a small obstruction that I missed. It was dark and I was in not the best mental state (stress/emotions)

Not the best time to be riding at such a "brisk pace"

Thankful your ok with all that traffic. There used to be some tire grabber groves heading south right before the 2222 cut off.

Mind sharing your idea of "brisk pace"? That is a LOT of damage to a RoadCrafter. The two piece obviously allowed your abdomen to contact that pavement. Glad you're not worse.

Good thing you had your gear on and have good friends. That rash is rough. Congratulations on your house, hopefully healing up will feel better at home.

Mind sharing your idea of "brisk pace"? That is a LOT of damage to a RoadCrafter. The two piece obviously allowed your abdomen to contact that pavement. Glad you're not worse.
I'd rather not, publically.

But yes, that is appropriate damage for the accident. I was so incredibly lucky that I didn't impact anything during the slide or even tumble.

That was some triple digit speed damage there...

Road rash sucks, glad you did not get worse and all bones and internals intact.

Every time a motorcycle accident comes into the ER my coworkers ask me if I am going to quit riding because of what I saw.
I have seen a lot of bad stuff in 25+ years working in emergency medicine, but it still does not stop me.

Ouch! Thankful you had full gear - that could have been so much worse. Good reminder to me, I've been lax about proper pants of late. Well, I wear pants, just not proper m/c pants. Until I get some it's back to my Roadcrafter, no excuses.

Being a long time dirt rider, I don't think of eating it on pavement as much. Thanks for posting, good reminders. I went for a decent ride yesterday. I had all my gear on except for no chest protector. Making me rethink my "easy" rides. I don't think my Joe Rocket jacket would have saved me from your belly rash either.

You sure know how to pack a lot of action - good and bad- into a short story!

Its awful, but I'm so glad you're still intact and moving forward. Looks like the Lord gave you an early Christmas present. Make sure to thank Him.

Sorry you got hurt. But glad you have all your arms, legs, toes and fingers - at least you got to keep the canvas the scars are on.

mmm - I'm rethinking me not typically wearing the jacket-to-belt retaining set-up my wife made .

As others have said, thanks for posting.

Your torso rash seems like the worst of your injuries, or at least the largest surface area affected. That makes me value the jacket-to-pants zipper connection... Im not great at keeping that zipped.

How's the bike?

Early Sunday morning I ended up in a motorcycle accident. As painful as it is, I'm very lucky.

I'm diligent about my gear. I was wearing jeans, a t-shirt, a 2 piece Aerostich Roadcrafter, a Shoei RF-1200 helmet, BMW touring boots, and some Klim gloves.

I'm unsure what caused the front wheel to wobble, but it ended up in a tank slapper. I ended up sliding feet first.

I managed to pick the bike up (2015 KTM Super Adventure) and ride to a gastation (was starting to show low fuel - but it may have been accident related) after filling up the tank, the bike wouldn't start.

So I pushed it up to a parking spot and called an Uber to take me home.

I went and laid down, I think the adrenelin dump caused me to crash out.

I woke up a few hours later to find myself stuck to all the sheets.

View attachment 337319

View attachment 337320

View attachment 337321

I did not think I needed care, but my daughter and my friend forced me to go to the ER around 1:30pm.

At the ER they gave me some IV pain. medicine, did CTscans of my head and abdomen, and Xrays of my chest and right leg/knee. Everything internal looked fine.

They sent me home with a prescription for 8 Tylenol 3, some 2% lidocaine liquid, and neosporin. With instructions to put the lidocaine on, wait 30 mins, then take a shower and clean the abrasions.

We went to pharmacy to fill the scripts and they said 30-40 mins. Asked for the lidocaine immediately, so we could put it on in the car. Started with my legs and arm and it was pure torture. I got nauseous and broke out in a sweat. I decided we could not put it on my abdomen until I had some of the Tylenol3.

We go to my friends house and I take 2 of the Tylenol3 (as prescribed) as I try to prepare myself for the burn of the lidocaine. Finally survive that and get in the shower while my friend tries scrubbing my wounds - I allowed as much as I could stand, but barely made a dent in anything. We then smeared neosporin on everything.

My friend brought me back home and I went to bed, after telling my team I was in a minor motorcycle accident and I'd likely be late in the AM. The discharge instructions said to leave it uncovered. But during the night, I of course pulled sheets and blanket over me. So, as expected, I was stuck to the bedding Monday morning. It wasn't until about noon that I managed to get the lidocaine everywhere and a little after 1pm when I finally made it out of the shower after washing with dial gold.

I wasn't able to work at all Monday.

Early Monday evening, I started getting very cold. Initially I turned on the heat (it was 72F) and then realized, oh, I should check for a fever... berkeley! 101. And the wounds were looking TERRIBLE.

View attachment 337322

View attachment 337323
I called the ER back and they said to come in and let them look at it. I called my friend and asked for a ride. We arrived around 1030pm. The doctor (different from the night before) immediately told me to go lay down on a bed. They quickly hooked up an IV, pulled some blood to test for an internal infection, and started me on dilauded and a bunch of antibiotics. The doctor was very nice, she said we need to debride the wounds. Of course, that terrified me. But she assured me, she would make sure I was ok.

They gave me another dose of dilauded and prepared to clean the wounds. It hurt like **** and they gave me another 1/2 (dose or whatever) of the dilauded again. It was still incredibly painful, but we managed to get through it.

View attachment 337324

View attachment 337325

I ended up being the ER for about 27 hours the 2nd time around. They made sure my white blood cell count came down, but my red blood count was dropping, too,

Eventually they figured it out it wasn't because of internal bleeding, but due to the multitude of bags of antibiotics they pushed in my system. 2 more CT scans and I was sent on my way, with my wounds dressed. They sent us home with everything to re-dress the wounds again on Thursday and then told me to make an appointment for wound care for Friday.

View attachment 337326

Injuries to my right hand, elbow, hip, knee, and calf - along with the abdomen. Bruised all over, of course, but so very lucky.

Wound care was absolutely excruciating on Friday though. It was one of the most horrific experiances of my life. I go back next Friday, dressing wounds at home every 2 days before then.

My gear sacrificed itself to save me.

View attachment 337327

View attachment 337328

View attachment 337329

Those jeans were on under the Aerostich. Even my wallet, which was in front right pocket has abrasions and ruined a credit card.

But... I know I'm super lucky. Ridicously lucky. I slid on the pavement, didn't impact anything, or tumble too much.

Now for the big UP of the week!!!

View attachment 337330

View attachment 337331

View attachment 337332

I turn 43 on Monday. I've wanted to be able to purchase a home my entire life. But having kids at an early age caused everlasting financial issues.

My youngest (19 years old)is currently apartment shopping with her soon to be roommate (they both work production at Tesla's Gigatexas) and so I'll live, happily, alone for the first time since October 2000 - and that was only a 3 month period.

I signed the contract about 6 weeks after I broke off an engagement for a relationship that had become very unhealthy, for both of us.

Also - I knew of my realtor through Autocross circles (SPOKES in Austin - even though I haven't been active in forever)

I am lucky, my friend was amazing to me, and life is good.
I too went into a tank slapper back in the 70's. Went down on I-10 and slid and slid some more. Totaled the bike. But the worst part was getting the road rash cleaned out. I swear they used a wire brush to de-bread the wounds. Put gauze with antiseptic ointment over the wounds. That was a mistake and I started to scab over though the gauze. Took at least an hour to get the gauze off while soaking it with hydrogen peroxide. Next time they used Telfa pads, and they didn't stick. Still have some of the scars.
Glad you are doing better, take care and keep us posted.

That was some triple digit speed damage there...

Road rash sucks, glad you did not get worse and all bones and internals intact.

Every time a motorcycle accident comes into the ER my coworkers ask me if I am going to quit riding because of what I saw.
I have seen a lot of bad stuff in 25+ years working in emergency medicine, but it still does not stop me.

The fear of injury hasn't curtailed my riding, but the fear of financially crippling my family does. When I was on Tricare, meh who cares. But now...****. My wife had a partial hysterectomy and the bill was 40,000 dollars....for an outpatient surgery, which insurance is fighting us for. My last trip to the ER for a kidney stone generated a bill of almost 4,000 dollars out of pocket. Total bill was almost 10k. for a CT scan, some morphine and some high-end anti inflamatories.

I mean I know you're in the field, so I’m preaching to the choir, but that alone was enough to severely curtail my riding to almost zero after riding consistently since I was 16 years old and most years doing 20-30k a year :(

I'm in pain just reading this. Can't believe you shredded a roadcrafter, that's some amazing damage. Hope you are pain free soon.

Back