• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I'll probably do another trip in late summer/early fall of '19, but I'm looking west this time. Northern New Mexico/Southern Colorado area.

Obviously ride to my home town of Durango, CO and then the Million Dollar Highway. Spend a lot of your tourist money to keep my home town alive...

Would like to get a small group together (6 or less) to drive south to Mexico hope a plane to Cuba rent a scooters and see the island.

If you enjoyed Roll The Bones. Then you should definitely plan to attend Around The Bend and the Hill Country 500.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Are you just looking for TWT arranged events or wider dual sport? How far afield do you want to go? The AMA has a dual sport series that includes rides across the country. There are other local rides like the Pine Barrens 500 or the Reno 200 that will test your ability to ride and to tow a trailer from coast to coast.

1. Celebrate having survived 2018 with better health than I had a right to expect.
2. Retire from my post at my church, probably about the end of the summer.
3. Meet a bunch of classmates from dear old Munich American High School for a 50th reunion. Nashville in May. Class of '69 rocks!
4. Take my wife on a moteling trip in June. Because after last year, she's officially tired of trailer camping for a while.

Oh, you mean riding?
5. Tour Utah red rock country in September with my buddy Mark from California.

:tab My advice is don't get to hung up on "events". Don't get me wrong, I love going to a good riding rally with lots of people and many different kinds of bikes. However, it is also a lot of fun to do your own events on a small scale, like say planning a ride for 4-6 people. I find that you really get to know the other riders better if you keep the group smaller. You just have more time to spend with them.

:tab As an example, I was up in Colorado back in July. I think on the biggest day of the ride we had maybe eight people in the group. Most days we had maybe 5-6, and on some only 2-3 people. It was a LOT of fun. I planned the routes for each day, which I happen to enjoy. Some riders like to leave that to someone else and just enjoy the riding.

:tab I also like doing the occasional ride/trip with a small group for the whole trip. I've done several trips that had six days of riding with the same four guys the whole week. You really get to know folks well in that kind of situation, especially if the riding is challenging ;-) You have to learn to rely on each other and to look out for each other. I took my daughter on a seven day dual sport trip through Utah and Colorado riding two up on my 1200 GS. Three other guys went with me: ToeJam, Jfink, and Rsquared. She was 11 at the time. We all had an absolute blast. It was quite the adventure. If your daughter enjoys riding dirt roads (nothing super technical), she'd probably enjoy the route we did if you did it with her. I'd be happy to give you the routes.

:tab Then there are just the solo runs. I really don't get to do those much anymore beyond just an afternoon ride. In the days before kids, it was not uncommon for me to do a four day weekend and ride up to Arkansas. I often did 500+ miles a day, hitting most every paved road North of I-40. The solo time soothes the hermit side of my personality ;-)

:tab So enjoy the big events, but don't focus exclusively on them.

I'll probably do another trip in late summer/early fall of '19, but I'm looking west this time. Northern New Mexico/Southern Colorado area.

This.:clap: NM and CO have some killer scenic roads.:drool: If you need any advice on roads please let me know I can help.:rider:

Obviously ride to my home town of Durango, CO and then the Million Dollar Highway. Spend a lot of your tourist money to keep my home town alive...

And eat at Serious Texas BBQ while in Durango.:eat: And only do the Million Dollar highway if your not afraid of heights.

And eat at Serious Texas BBQ while in Durango.:eat: And only do the Million Dollar highway if your not afraid of heights.

I'd forgotten about that place. I've been eating there since the 80s, although the name has changed a couple of times.

Thanks.

I like heights almost as much as I like good BBQ :)

You'll love it then. Both the "Q" and the road. Make sure to get your Butler motorcycle road map from Mr2mch on TWT before you go. Do the north to south then. I think Tim would agree the south to north is a little less exciting.:eek2:

I think the ride around Texas would be cool. Not in the LD manner but about a 6 day trip. Waking up each morning in a totally different landscape has to be amazing. I think I would go counter clockwise starting in rockport for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:tab My advice is don't get to hung up on "events". Don't get me wrong, I love going to a good riding rally with lots of people and many different kinds of bikes. However, it is also a lot of fun to do your own events on a small scale, like say planning a ride for 4-6 people. I find that you really get to know the other riders better if you keep the group smaller. You just have more time to spend with them...

I agree and disagree at the same time.

I ride a lot by myself and weaseling my nose into someone else's event is the way I get to know the smaller groups to ride with.

I love the smaller internet based get-togethers that happen around the country. They take place at spots all around the country, your ride your own ride to get there, visit with the regulars for a couple of days and let them show you around, and then you ride your own ride going home.

Places like here on TWT, or Sport-Touring.Net, BMW Sport Touring.com Motorcycle Sport Touring Association, etc...

I recently attended a BMW Motorcycle Owners of America board meeting and they are in the process of reaching/branching out to all makes, not just BMW anymore. All marks (without loud pipes) are currently being courted by the staff for their upcoming events.

This years big MOA rally is in Lebanon TN just outside of Nashville in June. Wonderful riding up there and I plan on just visiting the rally for a day and spending several other days just riding the area.

I'm not a rally rat. I dislike crowds, so the huge biker rallies are out for me. IE Sturgis, Republic of Texas and the like.

As a new rider I don't think you should plan your free time around the events. Take your free time and peruse the Net for something that fits that. Take them as they come. Get the "must do" thing out of your head for a while. You've got a long time to build a bucket list!

State parks are also fun. Two years ago I wore out my park pass. I would try and hit two per day on the bike when I had a few days off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, events can backfire, especially big ones. LAB2V has about 500 riders and about as many crashes. It's a chance to ride areas that are generally closed, but the rules and traffic can be annoying. An acquaintance lives near Deals Gap and says there are a lot of roads in the area that are just as good as the Dragon with none of the traffic.

Like Yeeha Stephen says you might want to consider some BMW events. Rib Fest is put on by the Nashville BMW club in Centerville, Tennessee and is a lot of fun with a mix of gravel, pavement and food (sometimes all on the same plate.) Most BMW club events are open to all comers and are family friendly. Another club I've heard is pretty good at mini events is the Honda ST club.

Last edited:
I'm not a rally rat. I dislike crowds, so the huge biker rallies are out for me. IE Sturgis, Republic of Texas and the like.

Right there with you! :thumb:

I also recently did an Advrider rally up in Montana. There were 50-60 riders, but we broke up into groups during the day. We all camped at the same place each night and I made it a point to wander around and try to meet other folks. It was a fantastic week of riding.

Yea, events can backfire, especially big ones. LAB2V has about 500 riders and about as many crashes.

This is a big issue. It is one reason why I try VERY hard to keep the group I am riding with down around 4-6 riders, 8 at most. I also like to know the riders or at least have some confidence in their riding abilities. When I was new to riding, I also paid a lot of attention to this and tried to avoid getting caught up with riders that were way above my skill levels. It was just to easy to get sucked in over my head without even realizing it until it was too late!

An acquaintance lives near Deals Gap and says there are a lot of roads in the area that are just as good as the Dragon with none of the traffic.

That is totally true! I usually avoid going to Deal's Gap unless it is on a weekday morning when there is hardly anyone else there. I would also say that many of the other roads are actually better than DG.

Wanted to give Jarrett a big thanks for posting his routes in Hill County. I have recently acquired a DR650 and am planning to test some of his rotes close to home.
I sold a 2016 NC700DCT but it seemed heavy on the gravel roads. That is when I sold it and bought the DR. It left me with some funds to upgrade the DR. I just added heated grips today.
We have to go to Charlotte next week to see our Grandkids but when we get back I intend to start on Jarrets routes to get some time under my belt.
Hope to see you guys on the road.

My estimated rides for next year:

February - big bend with TWT
March/April - Aaron @maximus_flavius and I talked about putting together a long weekend history tour to wichita mountains & panhandle of texas
May - ride and camp at Mokee Dugway and ride Burrs trail in AZ /UT
June - Alaska - Hyder and Dawson D2D
August - Africa twin rally Gunnison CO
August - Sturgis
August/September get Dave @2wheelnut and Steve @macdaddy to put together another Arkansas ride
September - Rich Mountain
October - RTB
November/October - Hill Country 500
November - Texas Hammock Hang

Additional:
1. Surely there will be something at Ghost Ranch next year?
2. Local moto-campouts about every week or so

My estimated rides for next year:

February - big bend with TWT
March/April - Aaron @maximus_flavius and I talked about putting together a long weekend history tour to wichita mountains & panhandle of texas
May - ride and camp at Mokee Dugway and ride Burrs trail in AZ /UT
June - Alaska - Hyder and Dawson D2D
August - Africa twin rally Gunnison CO
August - Sturgis
August/September get Dave @2wheelnut and Steve @macdaddy to put together another Arkansas ride
September - Rich Mountain
October - RTB
November/October - Hill Country 500
November - Texas Hammock Hang

Additional:
1. Surely there will be something at Ghost Ranch next year?
2. Local moto-campouts about every week or so

I am guessing you are either retired or have a dream job... :brainsnap

Back