• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I think the ride around Texas would be cool. Not in the LD manner but about a 6 day trip. Waking up each morning in a totally different landscape has to be amazing. I think I would go counter clockwise starting in rockport for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that idea...hummmm....mayhaps we should discuss further...

I think the ride around Texas would be cool. Not in the LD manner but about a 6 day trip. Waking up each morning in a totally different landscape has to be amazing. I think I would go counter clockwise starting in rockport for me

6 of us did the IBA RAT ride a few years ago. I think we covered 3400 miles in 74 hours, basically 3.5 days. It was a whipping, but it was very cool to see the varied landscapes in our grand state in a short amount of time.

We started and finished in Sherman going clockwise. The other guys I rode with were a hoot. I led the ride most of the time and ran 2 guys out of gas. That is my special talent! The first day alone we started in Sherman and got 4 hours of sleep in Rio Grande Village, after going across the bridge to S. Padre Island. I think we covered 1150 miles that day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm mostly interested in relatively nearby stuff. Four to five day outings in Texas or neighboring states.

Also dig green/tree-lined areas instead of desertscapes.

If its a really cool trip, I might be able to do a week or longer. That's a little tougher logistically.

Hwy 191 (The Devil's Highway) will provide you with a challenging ride, and you don't have to go all the way back east to the Dragon. Plus, the majority of it is green / tree-lined.

My plans for next year:
End of March
SS1K to Dallas
SS1K within Texas for the IBA Big As Texas ride
SS2K within Texas for the kickoff of the 2019 Tour Of Honor
SS1K from Texas to NM to do the NM TOH sites
SS1K from NM to AZ to do the AZ TOH sites

April
SS1K Kactus Kilo Rally out of Kingman AZ

June
Flying to Boston, renting a bike, riding the New England states which are the last ones I need to cross off the lower 48.

November
Pink's Hot Dogs in Hollywood

And then I'm sure I can squeeze a few more rides in there now and again.

Do you have a GPX file for that, by chance?

We just did a point and shoot strategy. The IBA dictates what receipts you need, so we would put our gps to the next receipt after each stop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like fun. Could pick specific days and places to stop each night, then folks could just join in as the ride nears them and drop off at their own finish line.

Here is my spot tracker, it was April 13 2013

860a4028eb17f76dcb41e94ffcb9eacc.jpg

The last gas stop on the east side of El Paso to Kermit was like 240 miles. We had to do the whole thing riding about 55 mph to conserve gas. We were all on Goldwings.

Another Arkansas rally you might enjoy is the SLAP near Oark. There are a good many folks on vintage motorcycles and a lot of ADV riders. A few deranged cases who lust for ugly show up to beat the backwoods but there are plenty of folks who stick to pavement or gravel too. They post up sheets for different kinds of rides each day so everyone can pick the sort they want. Usually lead by a local or someone well versed in the cooler parts. There is a lot of stuff to see if you know where to look. *It has it's cliques and leans way more toward the flavor of an ADV crowd than TWT.

Looks like fun. Could pick specific days and places to stop each night, then folks could just join in as the ride nears them and drop off at their own finish line.

I'm liking it. Would enjoy a more leisurely pace than what misterk and his gw crew did. Props to y'all.

Go ride arkansas. Lots of fantastic pavement, dirt, rock, mountain, roads. I go up there a couple times a year and its always fun.

Fun pavement roads: talimena scenic byway, pig trail, scenic 7, and pretty much anything north of I40 in the ozarks. My favorite is 103 just north of clarksville.

Stay in hot springs or eureka springs. Both towns are lots of fun.

Also look into the kiamichi trail if you're into dirt. It runs from oklahoma into arkansas just below the talimena scenic byway.

Broken bow oklahoma has lots of cabins you can rent and the area is littered with dirt logging roads.

Back