• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What bike would you choose $4k and under

ntklr650

Matt6:34
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
M
This is just a fun pole but I always like to look at bikes even when I don't have money for them. The question that always comes to mind is what bike would I choose if I had $4k.

So let's state some rules.
  • $4000 or less
  • Has to be street legal
  • You don't have any other bikes.
(You can list 2-3 options)

What bike would you pick?

I'll go first. I think I would buy a Kawasaki Concours 1000 or a Kawasaki Versys.

Edit: Broke my own rule. If I did not have any other bikes a KLR gen 1 is also on my list.

A used FJR, kinda like the one I have that's probably worth less than $4K. If I had to get rid of all my bikes but one, that's the one that'd stay in my garage as it's most useful for my kinds of riding. The other bikes are there for the kind of riding I wish I had more talent at and the time to ride them more.

I have two bikes, one is a KLR, if I had to go to one, I would keep the KLR

Man that is such a hard question to answer. The answer will depend on what style riding you do the most. Are you talking about modern rides or older classics?

Man that is such a hard question to answer. The answer will depend on what style riding you do the most. Are you talking about modern rides or older classics?
The thought is something you could do day rides or commute on. But anything works. Just street legal.

Gotta elaborate on this one. What are you having to do, what are you trying to get to?
He is never happy.

He needs to sell the xr, ride the husky on dirt roads and the gs everywhere else.

The husky is perfect besides fuel capacity

XR650L I like better than my 2011 KLR.(sold) At my age I like the lighter weight on gravel and I'm no hurry on the pavement. The KLR was better on pavement, but one bike? XR650L with a bigger tank. Plus I love air cooled motors the way a M/C should be :). I sold 5 M/C's last year and now have only one. Hopefully stay that way.

KLR650 - Cheap to run, easy to fix. Find the lowest mileage one I can, spend the rest on farkles.

This 2003 BMW K1200GT - Low mileage for that engine, plus it checks the right boxes for me - it's got saddlebags for touring/grocery shopping, the wife/friends will be comfortable if she/they want to ride with me, plus it'll still be fun for me to ride around if I want to tear around town or hit some FM roads.

3rd gen Honda Magna ('94-'03 VF750C) - Stupid quick, excellent factory exhaust note, engine is very reliable. Enough power to easily commute on, parts are still easy to find, and good examples are dirt cheap.

Gotta elaborate on this one. What are you having to do, what are you trying to get to?

Aspr’s probably right, I’m never satisfied. Klr had wind protection, 701 has none. Klr had comfy seat, 701 has a 2x6. Klr had 6gal tank, 701 has 3. Klr had crash guards, 701 nope. Klr had luggage, 701 nope. But it’s still my new favorite bike, just needs a lot of farkles i already had on the klr.

Aspr’s probably right, I’m never satisfied. Klr had wind protection, 701 has none. Klr had comfy seat, 701 has a 2x6. Klr had 6gal tank, 701 has 3. Klr had crash guards, 701 nope. Klr had luggage, 701 nope. But it’s still my new favorite bike, just needs a lot of farkles i already had on the klr.
Being serious, maybe go back! Not sure the 701 is intended to be those things, it's a plated dirt bike! Sort of.

You're talking to a dude that has bought 7 bikes in the last 13 months. I get it :)

The performance on the husky just blows the klr out of the water

XR650L, then I'd put $1000 back in my pocket.

Back