• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

Ammo can center console in the CJ to replace the cheaply made low buck thing that was in there before. The old one locked but was made out of particle board and vinyl so would have been easy to break into, and the previous owners were fishers I guess cause it was full of old lures and used hooks. It was also too low to work as an arm rest. Still on the fence on if I should paint it or leave it. Pretty sure I'm going to upholster at least part of the lid and add a basic cupholder or set of cupholders.

View attachment 281606

View attachment 281607

Pretty sure this was the old unit that was in there but in vinyl instead of denim.

You can get your ammo box to lock easily with a simple lock hasp and you only use part of the kit. Simply mount the round small part with the square backing to your can centered between the vertical slats and screw/bolt it in place. Toss the hinged hasp part in your scrap/later use pile. When the side cam plate is engaged it covers up the screw/bolt heads to stop easy removal. Use a 4-digit combination lock instead of the key version so you don't have to worry about a key. Do both ends.
LockBox.jpg

Is that an old 20mm can? I still have one left from my Shorad days. Vulcans are only in museums now.

Yeah, well when I got it, it was full of 40mm ammo for a Mk19 until we emptied it.

You talking about M61 Vulcans? Those are still widely in use.
You could get something like this matting, cut a piece to fit and glue it on. Some styles of it even come with a 'diamond plate' pattern molded into it.
Anti-Fatigue Foam Mat Set, 4 Pc. (harborfreight.com)

The ammo box for a console is an outstanding idea.

I'm probably going to upholster a thin board with some foam and cover it with one of my old uniforms, then use some adhesive to attach it to the top of the can.

Loaded the CJ up with some steel targets and a few guns and hit the range. After that I hit up Wal Mart and grabbed a new fire extinguisher to put in the CJ and replaced the 45 year old throttle cable and snugged down the headers.

20201221_202808.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Did a little dash work on my 70 Mach 1.

Fixing a bunch of little wiring glitches and a fuel gauge. Adding LED lights to the instrument cluster so you can actually see them at night. AND, most importantly, found the *@#@!##@$@ rattle that's been driving me bonkers for 2 years!

2020-12-19 10.00.22.jpg

Can we get a pick of your your kiddo's face on Christmas Morning? Pure GOLD!!!!
There will be video. His ttr50 wouldn't start yesterday(momma flooded it), and he was heartbroken and scared he wouldn't be able to race the next torcs race. I told him not to worry about it.

He asked Santa for a bunch of stuff this year. He asked me for a ktm. I told him not this year, that we couldn't afford it(true statement, I got the bike cheap). So there is no way he will see it coming.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Did a little dash work on my 70 Mach 1.

Fixing a bunch of little wiring glitches and a fuel gauge. Adding LED lights to the instrument cluster so you can actually see them at night. AND, most importantly, found the *@#@!##@$@ rattle that's been driving me bonkers for 2 years!
Details on the car? I see it's a 351 / C6... what else? Oh, and what was the rattle?

Shop snacks are best snacks, especially with an appropriately sized cerveza. Bonus points if you used a cookie sheet hanging over a blowtorch or the manifold of a running engine to cook 'em.
Manifold destiny. lol
I have always heard truck drivers talk about cooking on the engine.

I helped the boy start (my fault it's a little late) on his mommas Christmas gift. It will be a simple coat rack and shelf. Nothing fancy but a fun project and momma will love it. I'll post a finished pic this evening probably.
IMG_20201222_173002257.jpg

Details on the car? I see it's a 351 / C6... what else? Oh, and what was the rattle?
70 Mach 1, 351 Cleveland, FMX 3 speed, Grabber Orange. Condition is a very nice driver. Had it just over 4 years and now have become a labor of love (and often hate). My wife asked me when I'm going to be finished working on it. Silly girl!

This bolt was completely loose

1608727329112.png

1608727586644.png

70 Mach 1, 351 Cleveland, FMX 3 speed, Grabber Orange. Condition is a very nice driver. Had it just over 4 years and now have become a labor of love (and often hate). My wife asked me when I'm going to be finished working on it. Silly girl!

This bolt was completely loose

View attachment 282110

View attachment 282111
Ok, that is my dream car right their. That is beautiful. My youth pastor growing up had a blue one just like it if my memory doesn't fail me.

The 1090 has a mystery radiator fluid leak. Maybe 3 drips a day right under the overflow tank. Today I started tearing into it and after removing the fuel tank to get access I found the radiator cap slightly loose. Opened it and fluid is completely at the top. Gave it about a quarter twist tighter and crossed my fingers. Also swapped the air cleaner since I was in there. It doesn’t look too bad considering I chased my buddy for over 200 miles of Big Bend dust this fall.

3CF7653C-0F89-4E29-B47E-2E3B1F5C9718.jpeg

BAE19F87-AD87-4B5D-AEBA-A9F2F05C00CA.jpeg

FF4A7883-A026-4799-84A1-A446F701C629.jpeg

Put it all back together and warmed up the bike. Now to wait and see if any new drips appear.

Cooling System Pressure Tester. Indispensable for diagnosing most coolant leaks and testing caps. Not to late to get one with a bow under the tree. Sometimes the Auto Parts Store will have loaner sets to check out with a deposit but may not include an adapter for the smaller caps.

1608750859647.png

The 1090 has a mystery radiator fluid leak. Maybe 3 drips a day right under the overflow tank. Today I started tearing into it and after removing the fuel tank to get access I found the radiator cap slightly loose. Opened it and fluid is completely at the top. Gave it about a quarter twist tighter and crossed my fingers. Also swapped the air cleaner since I was in there. It doesn’t look too bad considering I chased my buddy for over 200 miles of Big Bend dust this fall.

View attachment 282139

View attachment 282140

View attachment 282141

Put it all back together and warmed up the bike. Now to wait and see if any new drips appear.
Don't you love it when a problem turns out to be so simple!

Isn't removing the tank a lot of fun on these 1090/1190/1290's. I've done it a ton, and have to do it again soon, but it ain't fun. And especially if you didn't have the presence of mind to run the tank low.

View attachment 282139

View attachment 282140

View attachment 282141

does it require burping when coolant is changed?

Back