• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

Not the garage technically, but in the driveway. No room in the garage. Changed strut assemblies, shocks, air filter, plugs, wires, coil, and cabin air filter. Holy cow change your cabin filters more often than 8 years. Still had the factory filter in 2012 Fiesta. Just recently turn 100k so figured all that was needed. And I was right. One shock had zero fluid, and a strut and shock leaking.

Thanks for the suggestion, just checked mine. It was nasty, new one from Amazon on the way for $7.33

Yesterday was a beautiful day so I did some work which I'd been putting off for a while.

The boy has a 2005 Focus ST. If you aren't familiar it's the hot version of the regular Ford Focus. He tried to install a polyurethane motor mount (Dog Bone mount) and stripped the hole that one of the bolts threads in to. Removed the bracket, bought a helicoil kit and got it rethreaded. The car is a lot more fun to drive now!

I also worked on the girl's 2003 Volvo V70. It has a bearing going bad somewhere in the serpentine belt. I replaced the tensioner which I assumed was the problem, and also replaced the power steering pump with a junkyard unit. The original was worn and leaking. Neither of these things fixed the noisy bearing problem! lol.

Just goes to show the parts cannon doesn't always work!

My skills for artistic work are totally lacking , but I can make it work . What kind of tank did that start life as ?
Don't worry about artsy, it'll come out as you go along. I discovered that when I was doing leatherwork. It just kinda fell out. I'm not artsy fartsy. Never thought of myself as that. I'm a straight forward, fix it, jock-headed wysiwyg. So it's a huge surprise when arsty fartsy shows it's face.

I started with a 30lb new tank for ~$70 from Home Depot. I l looked at CL and at used tanks but they all wanted like $40+ for a rusty used 20lb tank and `75-$100 for the 30 and 40lb that would still need to be purged inside. So, opted for a new one I could immediately get going on and save me some work.

3/4 drive Harbor Fright special. My good 1/2 drive impact couldn't hack it
Oh wow, vroom vroom

Last edited:
I made a BBQ smoker pit from a 400 gallon butane tank in 1982 , it turned out really well . Haven’t built a fire in it in 15 years now , I don’t need to cook that much anymore and if I want BBQ I know people that are really good at it . I pay them , they feed me . We’re both happy .

I made a BBQ smoker pit from a 400 gallon butane tank in 1982 , it turned out really well . Haven’t built a fire in it in 15 years now , I don’t need to cook that much anymore and if I want BBQ I know people that are really good at it . I pay them , they feed me . We’re both happy .
That's big indeed. I don't use a big one either. Mine is a 16diameter by 32 long w a firebox my cousin built for me a couple seasons ago. It works pretty good as it but I'm going to modify a couple things on it to really dial it in.

I saw a very cool smoker on wheels today I liked and now I want it.

I built a cool pit back in 05 when I first got my 220 wire feed (WAAY better than my old 120v unit). I still have it, but it needs some repair. I probably spent too much time on the doors and grates. The door handle is tubing and no matter how hot the pit gets, the handle barely gets warm. I have to admit the grates were rather tedious

bbqdone_zpsofu8hdxq.jpgCOOLDOOROPEN_zps8qcpbogi.jpg

fireboxgrills_zpstm2cg2zp.jpgbbq4_zpsa2b7rv2t.jpg

I built a cool pit back in 05 when I first got my 220 wire feed (WAAY better than my old 120v unit). I still have it, but it needs some repair. I probably spent too much time on the doors and grates. The door handle is tubing and no matter how hot the pit gets, the handle barely gets warm. I have to admit the grates were rather tedious

View attachment 283169View attachment 283170

View attachment 283171View attachment 283172
That meat sure looks good!
I hear you about grates taking forever. The one on minion here took longer than I expected doing the 3/8" bar stock. The expanded metal is the way to go on that. I just need a local supply w a gauge that's proper.

My handle are rod n pipe and they get hot on my pit. One if the modifications I plan is cutting them off an putting a spring handle instead.

0229234b4791dec2f9264a95cb31ec63.jpg

Tackled Tubliss on the front. Waiting on the new rear tire to tackle the back. Pretty straightforward....unless it leaks like a sieve. I got some tire changing practice and so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far the pits I’ve built I use wood handles , they never get hot . And are easily replaceable if the wood deteriorates . When I think about it I’ll get a picture of the yellow submarine , my old pit , a friend painted it for me and it ended up yellow because that’s what he was painting that day . It took a little bit of time to get the doors right , they probly weigh close to a hundred pounds but are one handed , I ended up using cables and pulleys with hood springs from a kenworth truck . Once I got them working I never messed with them again . Fire box turned out right the first time but I did add a gas jet when we were cooking competition . The grate in the firebox was a cast iron inlet grate , it’s still just fine . Cooking grate is flattened expanded metal and has been fine since the fire is not under it , heat dampers worked right the first time so no adjustments there . From day one cooking on it I could dial in a cooking tempature and go to bed , get up the next day and it’s right where it’s supposed to be . Heavy metal holds its own , I never weighed it but it feels like a ton or so on my forklift .

So far the pits I’ve built I use wood handles , they never get hot . And are easily replaceable if the wood deteriorates . When I think about it I’ll get a picture of the yellow submarine , my old pit , a friend painted it for me and it ended up yellow because that’s what he was painting that day . It took a little bit of time to get the doors right , they probly weigh close to a hundred pounds but are one handed , I ended up using cables and pulleys with hood springs from a kenworth truck . Once I got them working I never messed with them again . Fire box turned out right the first time but I did add a gas jet when we were cooking competition . The grate in the firebox was a cast iron inlet grate , it’s still just fine . Cooking grate is flattened expanded metal and has been fine since the fire is not under it , heat dampers worked right the first time so no adjustments there . From day one cooking on it I could dial in a cooking tempature and go to bed , get up the next day and it’s right where it’s supposed to be . Heavy metal holds its own , I never weighed it but it feels like a ton or so on my forklift .
interesting. How long did it usually take to bring it up to temp and stabilize?

Speaking of tractors, I got me a 1962 Hoyt-Clagwell 7200!
IMG_7884.JPG

It's actually a Ford D4000, but I've always wanted a Hoyt-Clagwell...

Last edited:
The same engineers designed all the old tractors after WW II , each year one company would hire the top designer away from the other and the cycle kept going like that , so they all looked and preformed alike except John Deere , they were a total oddball . Each year model one of the engineers would have a better idea so there was some little something on that years models Tractor that was better than the rest . I used to work with a 50s fordson Diesel , great little Tractor , the fuel injection pump was set at a constant speed and it had a butterfly in the air intake for throttle control . Super simple and we never touched anything on it .

The same engineers designed all the old tractors after WW II , each year one company would hire the top designer away from the other and the cycle kept going like that , so they all looked and preformed alike except John Deere , they were a total oddball . Each year model one of the engineers would have a better idea so there was some little something on that years models Tractor that was better than the rest . I used to work with a 50s fordson Diesel , great little Tractor , the fuel injection pump was set at a constant speed and it had a butterfly in the air intake for throttle control . Super simple and we never touched anything on it .
Biggest innovations, 3 point linkage(Ferguson), live PTO (EIHC) were before WW2, but became very popular after wars as patent rights expired.

It is a matter of taste, but I always thought a diesel Massey 35 was about best of class of the era (late 50-60s) for a small (<40hp) utility tractor. Live PTO with option to be independent or linked to wheels, three point lift w/settings for draft, position and sensitivity), 3 speed with hi-lo, and of course a bullet proof Perkins 3.152 indirect injection diesel.

But hey, I have 3 Harleys, and 2 BMW bikes, so I may just be confused

Cool tractor!!!!

Was out by my old shed and there was the yellow submarine just setting there , a says “ self , I need pictures of this “ if I have any there are old paper prints because this was before the digital age . The cobwebs are my friends home .

D0B1E6C3-4341-4B20-B4BD-35E60C6A0091.jpeg

7C833380-E083-4398-BA72-440756952D5F.jpeg

0DBC60E9-410A-4035-91F0-A225B18E9703.jpeg

CCAE2379-20A1-4198-AF27-B48001723E25.jpeg

I did spray a little penetrating oil on the fire box door hinge , worked just fine than . Top lids were both ok , probly should spray some lube on the cable and pulleys . I remember my kids and dog playing inside it before I got the fire box built while I was building it . Long time ago there was a house at the cornor of westhiemer road and highway 6 where west oaks mall got built , that tank was dug up from underground at that house when it was torn down to build the mall . When I saw it I knew instantly I had a use for it .

... Long time ago there was a house at the cornor of westhiemer road and highway 6 where west oaks mall got built , that tank was dug up from underground at that house when it was torn down to build the mall . When I saw it I knew instantly I had a use for it .
That was a long time ago.
I was a teenager when that mall opened.

Got a real nice 6' mower deck for the tractor and stuck it on. It works!
IMG_7890.JPG

Back