• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

Over the weekend, while my old GS500 sat in pieces waiting on parts, I designed and built a potting bench for mrs72. Here it is with paint in progress. The sliding bench tops are clamped with glue drying. Should finish it up today.

View attachment 287104
Nice, I'm going to have to copy that for my mrs as well. Nice work

Saturday, I changed the battery on my bike. Seems the cold drained the life out of it. That will teach me to keep it on a tender.

Reinstalled all the wiring for my GPS on the T700 that that I had done so meticulously a few weeks ago only THIS TIME I actually did it properly and changed it to switched power so it doesn't drain my battery LOL

Anyone on here reclaim gold from electronic equipment?
I was able to come across a large amount of discarded electronics and am in process of trying to reclaim the gold.
If anyone has experience or pointers I am open.
So far I have pulled this from some of the discarded equipment. According to what I have gathered from YouTube there is about $50.00 of gold in there. We shall see. image.jpg

Anyone on here reclaim gold from electronic equipment?
I was able to come across a large amount of discarded electronics and am in process of trying to reclaim the gold.
If anyone has experience or pointers I am open.
So far I have pulled this from some of the discarded equipment. According to what I have gathered from YouTube there is about $50.00 of gold in there. We shall see.View attachment 287152
$50 worth of gold, $200+ worth of materials and chemicals needed to do it, plus time...

I have watched a few youtube videos on it, and if you do a lot (like several hundred computers worth), you may make some money from it.

Can't there be toxic fumes and such in reclaiming gold? If I remember arsenic was one, but that was a long time ago.

$50 worth of gold, $200+ worth of materials and chemicals needed to do it, plus time...
Yeah there may be $50 worth of gold in my back yard. I just have to mine it... Might find some silver, copper, or oil while I'm at it. ;)

I have often wondered why we don't find a more efficient way to recycle commodity and semi-precious metals from stuff like this. There's silver, tin, copper, gold, lead, you name it, in all of those parts. I guess it's cheaper to dig it up and refine it than it is to peel it out of an assembly like this. Ditto that for lithium, cobalt, cadmium, etc. used for batteries and electric motors.

Is exactly why precious metal reclamation from boards is only profitable in third-world conditions.
Cheap labor, no EPA, no restrictions and IC chips are harvested for repackaging and reuse; sometimes as counterfeit parts.

Can't there be toxic fumes and such in reclaiming gold? If I remember arsenic was one, but that was a long time ago.
Cyanide. Standard substance. Learned a long time ago on a mine tour in Colorado that if you see a pool of pretty, turquoise water, avoid it. Full of cyanide.

Cyanide. Standard substance. Learned a long time ago on a mine tour in Colorado that if you see a pool of pretty, turquoise water, avoid it. Full of cyanide.
That's what I meat cyanide also lead fumes can be bad. Being in HVAC I recycled lots of copper from junk units. Thanks for your input Bob. I worked at Texas Instruments in the 70's and even then when cleaning the exhaust scrubbers for the plating line, it was serious and could be toxic. I used to find little pieces of gold on the Yellow Room floor while doing plumbing and also in sub fab. We used to see and breath all kinds of vapor and wade in unknown spills with squeegees and wet vacs. without proper ppe. Fumes off the plastics when heated can be bad news. I knew some copper wire burners back in the days. that breathed lots of toxins. Most of them were half squirrelly 🐿️ to begin with :)

Last edited:
My 09 Road King (12HD yrs = 84 BMW years) was experiencing a bad case of floppy stand. No more floppy after installing a little black spring - now it's like a young bike with the stand stiff up against the frame.

Last edited:
I have a new project. To set up a little background, I have a terrible garage door opener remote. When it works it is intermittent at best. My wife has the good one, naturally.
I had been thinking about getting a new remote but while looking around I found that a decent quality one costs quite a lot.
I was browsing around the internet and thought to myself “ I wonder if they make a wifi conversion for old technology garage door openers”. Turns out that they do. I ordered it last week and it showed up this evening. It’s a bit too late to install it right now...after the day I had at work today a large glass of makers is the only thing in my near future. However, tomorrow is a new day and hopefully I get off work at a reasonable time and can get this thing installed.
Basically it consists of a small control unit which attaches to the opener using the open/close button two wire connection. A power supply for the wifi controller and a long wire with a magnetic sensor to be able to determine if the door is open or closed....useful when you are driving and ten hours away from home and your wife says “did we close the garage door?” And you can’t actually remember.
It works on an app on your phone which connects via internet (not wifi) so you can open/close your door remotely and check open/closed status remotely. You can also set it up to open or close at set times of the day too. Hopefully it’s worth the grand $35 that I spent on it. I will post some pictures and end result impressions once I get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a new project. To set up a little background, I have a terrible garage door opener remote. When it works it is intermittent at best. My wife has the good one, naturally.
I had been thinking about getting a new remote but while looking around I found that a decent quality one costs quite a lot.
I was browsing around the internet and thought to myself “ I wonder if they make a wifi conversion for old technology garage door openers”. Turns out that they do. I ordered it last week and it showed up this evening. It’s a bit too late to install it right now...after the day I had at work today a large glass of makers is the only thing in my near future. However, tomorrow is a new day and hopefully I get off work at a reasonable time and can get this thing installed.
Basically it consists of a small control unit which attaches to the opener using the open/close button two wire connection. A power supply for the wifi controller and a long wire with a magnetic sensor to be able to determine if the door is open or closed....useful when you are driving and ten hours away from home and your wife says “did we close the garage door?” And you can’t actually remember.
It works on an app on your phone which connects via internet (not wifi) so you can open/close your door remotely and check open/closed status remotely. You can also set it up to open or close at set times of the day too. Hopefully it’s worth the grand $35 that I spent on it. I will post some pictures and end result impressions once I get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When my old door opener died (a mid 80's Craftsman chain drive) a few years ago, I happened on a Chamberlan 1.5 hp belt drive opener on clearance at Home depot, and it included a battery backup and internet access.
I thought it was gimicky at first, but find it very nice to have now. Nothing worse than having to turn around to check if the door was left open. Or having to get up out of bed to double check it was closed. It is set to automatically close 10 minutes after opening, and set to close at 9 pm if it is open as well.
I have no need for a battery backup, I can open the garage door just fine, but my wife and kids can't.
Battery gives like 5-7 open/close cycles max. I tell my wife if power goes out, she can open the garage door once to get her car out, but can't park back inside till power comes back on.

It did cost a little more than $35 though ($125 more to be exact).

Poor Tim. I have Liftmaster openers on the shop with battery back up. They are both WiFi as well. I have had them a couple of years and as long as the wifi is up they open from anywhere. With the battery backup, I can still open them from the outside without power. I like the alerts to my phone when they open. I also check them closed at night and when I can't remember if I closed them. Love it. A great investment. I believe I can put in lights and a camera tied to the doors if I so desire.

Do these wifi/internet enabled garage door openers work when the internet goes down? Is there still a RF xmitter/rcvr involved?

Do these wifi/internet enabled garage door openers work when the internet goes down? Is there still a RF xmitter/rcvr involved?
Yes, mine is a standard door opener that also has the wifi aspect if I want. I still have the old style clicker on the visor and button on the wall.
If the internet is down, I can't use the app, but everything else works just the same.

Back