• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

They looked OK. I changed them because they were the wrong heat range and I didn't know the mileage on them. The front one was a bear to change

Discovered that paint still exists under 55+ year old sun-baked oxidation.
PXL_20210428_225900887.jpg

PXL_20210428_230645501.jpg

Finally removed the offending tree (after snapping a chain, which has never happened), and cut runway #4; now I have all 8 major compass points, so any possible crosswind won't exceed about 22 degrees.

View downhill (NE)
IMG_8751.JPG

View uphill (SW)
IMG_8753.JPG

It's got about 310' with no obstructions over about 10'; the book calls for 300' with nothing over 20', so I'm good.

The mighty little '62 Ford has some brute strength, but so did a 10" caliper Oak!
IMG_8750.JPG

Almost like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, I disconnected all the services and pulled the Camper out of it's hole, backed the tractor in with the box blade and leveled out the space, giving it a bit more height to the roof joists, then CAREFULLY backed the Motorhome in it's place. The Camper went where the boat was, so its now subject to the sun destroying the cover; but it's still got 2 or 3 years' warranty, so...

IMG_8767.JPG

At least now the Motorhome won't get any MORE water ingress damage...

Record 2.5" turd floater here last night, speaking of water damage. Lots of bare dirt washed out of the back yard to the front, and yes the rain was really needed, but it's ugly out there. Power went out and when it's out more then 15 min., it's not coming back on real soon with that kind of storm going on, so drag the genny out of the shed and a garage fan to get some air moving.

DSCN6011.JPG

Yes, the pic is after the power came back on and I got up to shut off the genny and pull the now very dirty thing in the garage. It was running cable locked outside to a fence post and blocked in by my truck, still possible to steal but a monumental task to do so. I discovered the little floater AC unit is dead, it trips the GFI on it's plug. Bah. Put my phone in the truck to charge BEFORE dragging the genny out, but nothing. Brought my spare battery in with clip leads and another adapter for a quick charge.

DSCN6010.JPG

Found the adapter in the truck is kaput. That wasn't any fun, but it sure brought out some ideas about how to make it all better for the future. It's been such a long drought I had forgotten how water flow can happen in the big rains. Nature kinda handed me a soggy blueprint of how to fix it. Need a much better spot to keep the genny for these events and am now HIGHLY motivated to clear the clutter from the little shed.

Hope no one had any damage out there. D'Hanis really got hammered as did western Bexar county.

Got the Red CJ drivable and got my brother's CJ7 running but it's leaking from the accelerator pump, I also pulled the interior out of the CJ7, my brother wants to run with no carpet to help keep future rust issues from popping up in the floors. The fuel filter was so clogged up with varnished corn gas that it wouldn't flow. Changed out all the rubber lines the fuel filter and tossed 5 gallons of ethanol free in and after about 20 seconds of cranking it fired up, though is running a bit rough and missing a bit. Placed a large order on Rock Auto to include a carb refresh kit and will be pulling the carb off for a disassemble, deep clean and rebuild along with a ton of other smaller things.

Found problem with gear box. New gear was poorly hobbed. Pretty bad when you have to use a lathe to diagnosis a new part

Off to the Agco dealer again

View attachment 289318

Ruh- Row - 0.030" TIR on gear tooth root. Was interesting OD of gear was <0.0015" IR

View attachment 289319

View attachment 289320

I just want to ride my bike

Since I couldn't put plants in the garden, I got back on the hay cutter. Got three of the 7 cutter head boxes rebuilt. Going to try to finish the gear boxes tomorrow.

yuck

IMG_0958.JPG

Fixed a ice box today , bought two at a auction a few weeks ago one made noises but wouldn’t get cold so checked the other it wouldn’t power up so replaced the cord and it got cold but the compressor ran steady and wouldn’t cycle and low pressure lines caked up with ice . This morning I dug into it and sombody had bypassed the thermostat rewired
E168D79E-0A7D-4A02-97F1-C7C15A2C4B44.jpeg

everything straightened all the wiring and secured all the loose parts Preassure washed it buckled it all up and ready to deliver .

I made good headway on this size 10.5 Don't Tread On Me .999% silver ring today. Just waiting on the BBT to bring me the material to put a really nice black patina (etch) on it, then buff out the high points for a bunch of contrast.

IMG_4007-1.jpeg

Fixed a ice box today , bought two at a auction a few weeks ago one made noises but wouldn’t get cold so checked the other it wouldn’t power up so replaced the cord and it got cold but the compressor ran steady and wouldn’t cycle and low pressure lines caked up with ice . This morning I dug into it and sombody had bypassed the thermostat rewired View attachment 292257

everything straightened all the wiring and secured all the loose parts Preassure washed it buckled it all up and ready to deliver .
now you can keep the bodies frozen before burial

now you can keep the bodies frozen before burial
Actually between 36 deg. and 40 deg. is optimum temperature. For long term the freezer would work. 🥶
We had one at the coast boat house and got rid of it. It used some watts and was cheaper to buy ice when needed rather than store it.

Fixed a ice box today , bought two at a auction a few weeks ago one made noises but wouldn’t get cold so checked the other it wouldn’t power up so replaced the cord and it got cold but the compressor ran steady and wouldn’t cycle and low pressure lines caked up with ice . This morning I dug into it and sombody had bypassed the thermostat rewired

I worked on icemakers for 2 years. Fun. Scotsman ice is my favorite, crunchy without risking breaking a tooth. Manitowoc seemed to be the best, mechanically...

The carb float for the SuperHawk arrived, so I put the carbs back together, mounted the carbs, airbox, tank, and all the plumbing to go with it. Vacuum-operated petcock worked, battery was charged and ready - and the darn bike came to life after about 10 seconds of cranking! Idled really fast, so I think the mixture screws are way out. But - the front float bowl is leaking. The gasket is a really lose fit and mounting it without it moving out of place was tough. I was CERTAIN I had done it properly and tightened the screws down enough - but I didn't test it before putting all the bits back together. So: I get to do all that again. At least I'll be good at it after a couple more attempts.

Anyway, that should be an easy fix, then adjust idle, mixture, and sync, and this thing should be ready to ride this week. Makes such a nice sound!

I actually finished the repainting, re-decking project on my HFT folding trailer. No pictures. It took a lot longer than I had hoped. I still have not settled on what to do about the sides, strongly considering using a pair of 80" aluminum ramps as sides. But I'm in no hurry. I had ambition to do a lot more in the garage but I was operating at part throttle all weekend after my COVID shot on Saturday morning.

Back