• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

Put this in my shop old man cave. Lowes 29.99
shop office 1.jpg

shop office 2.jpg

It was a running '66 Coupe deVille in 1990 when it last moved.
In general, I'm not a big fan of bagged or dropped cars, but a 66 Coupe is just begging to get bagged so it can sit on the frame rails when parked. My mom had a 72 Coupe and I just loved driving that thing when I was a kid.

Finished shop LED retrofit. Under 200 bucks total It is amazing the difference I know how God must have felt when He flipped the switch on day one. Except these LED's only have a two year warranty. God's has an eternal warranty. :storm: Now I need to straighten up to disconnect existing Florescent ballasts. Can't get the ladder under them. Down to one M/C hope I can stay that way. Had six in this shop a few years ago. I finally retired (quit) HVAC work so I am getting rid of most stuff on the shelf. Fifty years is long enough. Then I will have room to move in shop.
led 5-11-21.jpg

led #2  5-11-21.jpg

For the first time since I built it, after tracking mud thru, after adding to the slab and building, after finally enclosing it, I SWEPT OUT THE BUILDING!
IMG_8782.JPG

Also re-organized and put the yard furniture in the office, along with the carpet that had been in the hangar. Almost looks liveable, but still have way too many tubs full of "stuff"

IMG_8784.JPG

Unboxed a new to me under dash A/C unit for the Falcon. As I kid who was more into drag racing then anything at that point, I ripped out the factory air and tossed it on the pile at the dump. Dummy me. I paid $181 for this unit and I compare that to the $250 that I paid for the entire car "back then". :doh:

Seller did a great job of packing it up.

1963 Falcon air conditioner.jpeg

I’m looking at hopefully the final rendering of the garage.
Covered entrances (carport awnings) in front of each door so the friends coming to visit can park in the shade?

Putting in a lift or two? How thick is your concrete going to be? How high are your ceilings?

Heated / Cooled / Insulation?

Separate workshop? Or will that be part of the garage?

Covered entrances (carport awnings) in front of each door so the friends coming to visit can park in the shade?

Putting in a lift or two? How thick is your concrete going to be? How high are your ceilings?

Heated / Cooled / Insulation?

Separate workshop? Or will that be part of the garage?

We have been plenty of trees for shade.

One of the two car bays will have thirteen foot ceilings. No heat or ac. We added a rear door to hopefully create a breeze. The plan is a 4 post lift I can park underneath if I need to. The slab is still to be determined. With a four post lift standard slab is all it needs.

It’s sitting on four acres so a shop is in the future. We’ve modified the power to accommodate it.

My shop has doors facing southeast and northwest , fully insulated , the coldest temp I’ve seen inside is 40 degrees and it’s never been warmer inside than outside temps . 18 foot ceiling too , that makes working area temps tolerably year round . Thought about putting a ten ton ac in it when I worked in it full time but it would have only made me work harder to pay the electric company .

a shop with good air flow,no radiant heat from good insulation and not working in direct sunlight sure makes things more pleasant. And a big shop fan too.

We came home a day early from our vacation so I found myself today with a rare unbooked day off. So I decided to finish a project I started in the garage about 1.5 weeks ago.

Back when I was rebuilding my Triumph, the painter basically screwed up the paint job multiple times and I finally had enough and decided to quit making him redo it and just deal with it myself. He had put the tank badges back on in the wrong spot on both sides, clearly to use them to conceal flaws in his clear coat. After I took the tank badges off there were really serious bad screwups in the clear coat. Looks like they tried to pry the tank badges off with the clear coat not completely cured and "dented" it all around the perimeter of where they go, so I used a "drop fill" technique with clear nail polish too fill the low spots and then went at it today to knock it down level and buff it out.

Here's a picture after the 1000 grit on the hard rubber sanding block:

1621262866946.png

I followed that up with 1500 grit on the hard rubber block, then 1500, 2000, 2500 and 3000 folded paper. Follow up with Meguiar's Ultimate compound and it looked like this:

1621263127887.png

That's better!

So then I did an internet survey of badge positioning and found that Triumph was not super consistent with the placement of these adhesive badges, so I just made a choice to use two widths of 3/4" masking tape from the pinstripe line for horizontal placement and guessed on vertical placement, stuck it on.

1621263346740.png

These are the "eBay Chinese" repro badges that are not precisely like the originals but at least the chrome is not crazed like on the ones my painter ruined and they are shiny and new. I think it looks really good.

Did the same thing on the other side. There are two "dings" in the paint that probably should have been fixed by the painter but I have decided not to care on a 9 year old motorcycle. It's not perfect, so what. It looks pretty seriously good. I still need to clean/sand the drop fill on the side panel where there was a scratch but I'll get to that later, it was not urgent.

This is actually what I did in the kitchen today.
K Tank.jpg

I've replaced the o-ring gasket that seals the fuel gauge sensor of my K75. The original was 29 years old, hard, cracked, and flattened. I think the sub zero weather in February finally did it in.

It's a small, but fiddly job. Very tight space that requires using one hand working by feel with small size nuts and washers. And then having to make sure the fuel level float ball and rod is correctly routed to have everything go together correctly, that took a couple tries. Then reattach the (tiny) power lead nuts/washers for the fuel pump. Next step is replacing the gas soaked heat shield , reinstall the fuel tank (needs new fuel lines), fill up and check for any leaks. Then start up the K for a further check.

Last edited:
Just finished topping off at 1050 gallons (2x525) with this afternoon's rain. Ready for summer...
Full Tanks.JPG

When I arrived at the ranch, I emptied about 30 gallons from each barrel, and the paint buckets were about 3/4 full. Just as I was finishing, the clouds OPENED UP!

It didn't even take 10 minutes to have them overflowing!
IMG_8871.JPG

IMG_8872.JPG

Between today and yesterday I pulled the *** plastic bed liner out of my truck , tired of everything sliding all over the back of the truck . Pulled the instrument cluster out of the dash and repaired the dash lights added switches to the cover panel for driving lights , transmission converter lockup manual control and exahust brake . Replaced rear shocks changed oil and air filter added a trans filter and temp sending unit for a oil temp gauge . Also welded brackets to the grill guard to mount the driving lights . Still need to change fuel filter and connect all the addon stuff to the switches . Forgot the 20 pounds of dirt under the bed liner . When it started raining I backed it out in the driveway so it would wash out the bed . Looks much better now .

Took advantage of the rain to install a new Hyperpro shock/spring on the VFR along with a Denali horn to replace the factory unit. Tomorrow, I'll tackle the fork springs. That should complete my mods for this bike since I've already addressed the other ergonomics and luggage/engine/exhaust projects.

Changed an axle bushing last evening on the old Ranger and it went really well. Today, not so much.
The other axle can't just swing down at the bushing end, it has to pull out to the right, and you can't get the radius arm far enough out to do that.
The big bolt holding the radius arm and axle together that also has a coil spring holder thingy at the top will NOT budge!!!
Basically a 5 hour butt beating. I was getting quite the arc in my breaker bar WITH a cheater bar on it and my air impact is a POJ!!
Half a can of PB Blaster and several big squirts of Mouse Milk for it to bathe in tonight.

A small job, but the utility is pretty cool. I got in a set of crash bar bags for my V-Strom from ebay and put 'em on today.
V1.jpg

V2.jpg

V3.jpg

Enough space for tools, tire patch kit, flashlight, etc. Supposed to be water proof, we'll see.

Pulled apart a bike ('66 Triumph Bonneville) that got partially submerged during Hurricane Harvey in Port Aransas. It was not pretty...
IMG_8862.JPG

IMG_8867.JPG

IMG_8893.JPG

Believe it or not, this will clean up pretty well. If there is any pitting on those gears, I've got a big box of 'em and I'll just replace them...

Wow - that's heartbreaking to see. Good on ya for restoring a bike like that to it's former glory! Please take us thru the process - I find it hard to imagine that any of those components will be reusable...

Wow - that's heartbreaking to see. Good on ya for restoring a bike like that to it's former glory! Please take us thru the process - I find it hard to imagine that any of those components will be reusable...
"Before"
IMG_3963.JPG

I've restored worse...

Back