• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

Finally got the scooter running. Over all we are pleased but the throttle keeps running away after awhile. I adjusted the idle screw and she behaved herself better. Still have a little work though. The boy had a good time running around the pasture. Next step is electrical.
IMG_20210709_172327152_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210709_172341792_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210709_173941379_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210709_174018608_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210709_180347856.jpg

Finally got the scooter running. Over all we are pleased but the throttle keeps running away after awhile. I adjusted the idle screw and she behaved herself better. Still have a little work though. The boy had a good time running around the pasture. Next step is electrical. View attachment 297087

...the smile says all I have to know.

Finally got the scooter running. ... Next step is electrical. View attachment 297085

THIS, RIGHT HERE.

Teach them to work on their own stuff, put away the tools, handle fuel & oil without making a mess, and cleaning up when you're done.

THIS is what more boys need, and they're NOT getting it in many places.

MY SINCEREST CONGRATULATIONS for promoting mechanical responsibility. (I am assuming safety as well, I think it's a safe assumption in this case)

THIS, RIGHT HERE.

Teach them to work on their own stuff, put away the tools, handle fuel & oil without making a mess, and cleaning up when you're done.

THIS is what more boys need, and they're NOT getting it in many places.

MY SINCEREST CONGRATULATIONS for promoting mechanical responsibility. (I am assuming safety as well, I think it's a safe assumption in this case)
He is definitely a good student and always down to work on something with me. Teaching him how to do it safely is key for sure. He is far more risk averse than i ever was.

yesterday I started tinkering with the scooter in earnest. Mostly figured out the Boolean algebra required for the starter to turn (brake lever, who'd have thought?) and took apart the throttle control to devise a way to make it work correctly with only one throttle cable.

It currently won't start but I think the odds are really good that it is because there is no gas in it.

Heading back out now. Any bets on whether I can get it running before the rain stops?

Well, if it really only needs gas...... :lol2:

It at least needed gas. But that's really not all.

Original carb was hooked up like all modern motos with two throttle cables. The original throttle cables are gone, and only one remains. Unfortunately the throttle control is not equipped with a "stop" to prevent the throttle tube from being turned the wrong direction since it is intended for the 2nd cable to stop it, so I had to do a little mod.

1626001807933.png

A little fiddling with digital calipers and 3-d imagination, and I drilled a hole and stuck in a self tapping 4-40 screw to serve as a throttle tube stop. Works great.

Once that was done, I reassembled the RH control, and in the process a little piece broke off of the run/stop switch. That made reassembly much harder. Also it made the switch operate in reverse, which tells me something is Just Not Right. So I have it back apart now trying to figure a way to get it to work correctly, but I think the odds are I will just hotwire it if it doesn't straighten up and fly right, later today.

Before I noticed the switch not working, I did "finish" reassembling the carb to the bike. Had a heck of a time getting the non-stock carb to fit the intake boot and airbox. I removed the evap system since the new carb had nowhere to hook it up. I found a dangling open vacuum port from the intake boot and plugged it. I noticed a fuel hose barb on the right side of the carb that was not hooked to anything, but I left it unhooked in hopes it's just the vent but I have serious doubts. Then I turned the switch to "stop", which happens to be the only position where the starter will turn, and attempted to start it. No dice. Now, it could be that the ignition is not on because of the start switch being goofed. Or it could be the thing I failed to notice until after, which is that some parts are missing from the left hand side of the carb, a vaccum chamber or some kind and cover that should have a vacuum fitting on it. So my guess now is that as new as this carb looks, it's time for it to go.

1626002393012.png

This morning I'm headed out to try and figure out what the other carb is, if it is in fact big enough for a 125cc scooter or if it's a 50cc type, and whether I need yet another carb. Since I have no idea what the one on there is, I can't really get the right parts to replace it, and I have no guarantee it could work anyway. Also hope to get the run/stop switch working right or at least hotwire it to "run" for the time being. Later this afternoon after church and lawn work, I hope to find some way to get this thing basically running. But it might take a different carb for that to happen.

Someone on CL in Austin has a couple of Mikuni VM22s with the dreaded K&N cone filters for sale, new and never mounted. I am considering grabbing one of those since I know it can be made to work and these GY6 type carbs are a crap shoot. But I am holding out hope that I can get to "vroom" without spending any money. Eventually this thing is going to require paint and a bonded title so I am trying to limit my expenses to just garage time at the moment. We know that won't hold for long.

SHE RUNS!

Turns out the carb was a nearly identical to stock Mikuni carb, which I discovered when I pulled it off and compared with the original carb. So I transferred the vent hose and etc. over to the new carb and put it back on, got the run/stop switch working correctly and it fired right up. Ran a little rough for a minute but I am guessing the float bowl was pretty empty since this petcock has no PRI position, it has to prime itself.

I set the idle mixture screw 1/2 turn out, who knows what's right. I put all of the bodywork back on, at least all of it that I have here, but there's still one piece missing. After church today I'll put enough air in the tires to give it a spin around the cul-de-sac, see if it runs well enough to ride.

The Vino 125 resurrection is well underway.

New TKC70 tyres on the Tiger. Only took two days. Wife had to help with the front. BTW the HB changer is for sale.
20210711_151414.jpg

More time in the garage. And it was a raging success. I got the Vino running and put all back together. Test ride around the cul-de-sac proved the carb adjustment was still not just right. After riding around a bit I wound up adjusting the pilot mixture a lot and then had to adjust the throttle cable at the carb to get it to idle. But once I got it dialed in, all is good. The little scoot runs just fine. I don't know how it's supposed to run, and it sure feels really slow but I guess I'm used to a bike with 4-7x the displacement. And it was a bit odd not to downshift at stops. But it will go 45 mph or more with little fanfare and everything works.

I will do more to get rid of the emission controls as much as possible so it won't overheat, and it needs a new CVT belt any minute now, plus an oil change at the same time. And a new air filter. Maintenance, you know? But she runs and stops just fine and has good tires so I'd say this is a success.

Starting the bonded title process tomorrow. I'll wait until I can get it registered and properly legal on the road before spending time and money on cosmetic updates, which are desperately needed.

Still not really sure what I need a scooter for. I really do think Mrs72 is going to one day give it a try and really like it for runs to the mailbox or HEB 2 miles away. Secretely, I actually think I will really like it for these neighborhood trips. My guess is it won't cost a nickel more in insurance and every mile I ride on the scooter is one less mile I put on one of the more expensive to maintain bikes.

Ha! I was afraid to ride down your driveway until I got more gravelly tires. ;-)

😉

Finally got the scooter running. Over all we are pleased but the throttle keeps running away after awhile. I adjusted the idle screw and she behaved herself better. Still have a little work though. The boy had a good time running around the pasture. Next step is electrical. View attachment 297083View attachment 297084View attachment 297085View attachment 297086View attachment 297087
I really need to give mine some tlc
Got closer to completing a rebuild and restore of 1989 CR80.
Is that the one @Mudslick had?

I really need to give mine some tlc

Is that the one @Mudslick had?
Is your carb in good shape? Do you have any thoughts on base turns for the two screws? I set the idle screw at 1 turn from bottom and the other was adjusted to sound good. I am not a carb master for sure but it seemed to be right. It kept idling up higher and higher until I hit the kill switch. That finally stopped but I am not sure what that was.

Preparing the Husky for Idaho in a couple weeks. New tires, chain and sprockets. Did a new battery and air filter over the weekend. Oil change left to go and I will be about ready.
20210712_135957.jpg

Notice all the new tits on the tires. Chain looks too tight. It is to spec. It has enough slack to come within 5mm (.2") of the swing arm 28mm aft of the front guide.

20210712_135646.jpg

So happy this was written in six languages on the little packet that came with the master link. Three on the other side. Good thing I had it this side up, otherwise, who knows, I might have chowed down on it. Kinda looked like pale peanut butter. :roll: I guess some people really do need a sign.

20210712_140142.jpg

6,000 miles with some left. There is no perfect tire but these Heidenau K60 Scouts last forever on a light bike.

Last edited:
Is your carb in good shape? Do you have any thoughts on base turns for the two screws? I set the idle screw at 1 turn from bottom and the other was adjusted to sound good. I am not a carb master for sure but it seemed to be right. It kept idling up higher and higher until I hit the kill switch. That finally stopped but I am not sure what that was.
Factory for the fuel mixture screw is typically 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 turns. You don't want it to bog

It sounds like a possible air leak

Changed new Shinko 700's to 705's it was a wrestling match getting 705 on rear rim with spoons. I started balancing it and noticed I had the rotation backwards. It made me think when I was young journeyman in HVAC back in the early 70's. My lead journeyman was an old man, almost my age now. He watched me flare some copper tube, then he said nice flare but how you going to put flare nut on. Then we had a good laugh as I flared it right after I put nut on. It was a lesson I never repeated but used it on several new raw hands.
Jim Preece was his name and I went to his funeral and two days later his wife passed away to go be with Jim.
Redoing the tire was not that painful until this morning. Oh I broke my rule and used heavy duty tubes which really made it tough. I could not balance the 700's they were way out of round. I did run out on them. Probably been smushed in a warehouse for years. The front came without cardboard in it.
tires 7-11-21.jpg

Back