• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

My mechanic @Aspear had to work his real job today but my new parts were calling for attention.

I did the Rade Garage bonus fuel tank, intake and exhaust upgrade on the husky 701 project. Since the air box is so open now, I added a sand screen to the air filter.

Only issue I had was there’s no good spot to mount the inline fuel cut off switch between the tanks. A giggle search says that’s fine and the front tank will drain first so the “low fuel” dummy light will still work.

Rebuilt carb, gravel cleaned tank with diesel, installed new stator and coil, aired up tires, installed clutch and brake levers, rode some 3rd gear neighborhood hooligan wheelies. 1977 50cc honda with 125cc motor. Before pic...

Then repaired my Italika 125/200 mexico bike that we extensively dragged behind the van in baja last week. Straightened footpegs, heated and bent brake pedal, heated and bent kickstand, sanded and painted exhaust, removed for brake lever for new. Took for test ride. All back to 100%!! Just needs new grips.

I changed the oil on my 990. It's a breeze with the CJD oil tank drain mod...thank you to the PO.

it supposed to show temp for each tire and alarm if the temperature goes over a preset number and it will flash the one that is too hot, also alarms for dropping pressure and over or under pressure.
in that picture my front tire is dead on but the rear is 5psi low.

3 days ago in a bathroom. Still recovering. And about 400sq.ft. in the house total. Never do this, hire it out and leave for a couple days.
Joy is discovering the bowl wax was leaking, as was the water fitting in the wall where it couldn't be seen. Good times!!
To stay on topic, I found myself going to the garage to get away from the dirt and relax. Odd reversal.

Had wood and marble flooring torn out and replaced, was going to do tear out myself to save some bucks .The contractor lowered price for tear out so I let them do it. Took 3 guys 2 days would have taken me forever.

It was a 12 hour day to do it. Still cleaning dirt. But that's the last nasty job that remained. Well, except that bathroom, and it's going down to bare studs. But the rest of the house is 60% painted, and I'll finish all that before getting into the 40 boxes of bamboo flooring stacked in the livingroom. Carpets been gone for 8 months (income snafu) so I am real motivated to get off bare concrete. Garage becomes a woodshop this week as I crown mold the whole place.
Floating floor, and it's glueless construction. Pretty sure I can handle that, and estimating about 10k saved in labor.

It was a 12 hour day to do it. Still cleaning dirt. But that's the last nasty job that remained. Well, except that bathroom, and it's going down to bare studs. But the rest of the house is 60% painted, and I'll finish all that before getting into the 40 boxes of bamboo flooring stacked in the livingroom. Carpets been gone for 8 months (income snafu) so I am real motivated to get off bare concrete. Garage becomes a woodshop this week as I crown mold the whole place.
Floating floor, and it's glueless construction. Pretty sure I can handle that, and estimating about 10k saved in labor.
what's your subfloor. I've laid a fair amount of floating floor. It's all about variance/level and good underlayment.

So, a while back I decided to install a set of Adventure bike decals on my second strom to match my first. After all, everybody says they come right off those factory decals.

So I peeled one off and the adhesive wouldn't budge. So on the other one I tried the "decal eraser" from Eastwood and it quickly gouged my panel. So there's that.

First up was Mr. 3M adhesive solvent which immediately destroyed the factory paint. Then I fell into the despair of the factory repaint. I began sanding (this all started around Christmas and I put it off as long as I could) and sanding and sanding. Did I mention I hate sanding? So, basically If I had just sanded to begin with my life would have been much nicer.

That adhesive solvent wrecked the heck out of the paint. Was awful to sand off.

As you can see on the other side, the adhesive never let go and I had to sand through it to the plastic.

This one was ready to prime at this point and I had to work all the gouges out of the other one.

So yesterday, I was completely finished with the sanding to prep for primer. I cleaned them up, de-greased them and wiped with the tack cloth to prep for paint. I was pretty happy with myself at this point. I had a spray can kit from Color Rite, I had sprayed out the color and clear, was set to do two coats, then clear. All was great.

So I hung them on my IV stand and went at it.

Of course, there is no rest for the wicked. I found the can was pooping out little "artifacts" and had to stop. I thought maybe the paint is too cold, so I waited a couple of hours, sanded the lumps out re cleaned/degreased and tacked. Then I warmed the paint up to 95°F while shaking it. Then before shooting it, I shook it for a solid 5 minutes so I could assure myself the stuff was warm and mixed. The can was at 94.7°F when I started shooting. I got the little "boogers" again. Now I am annoyed. So I called Colorite and they said, "Oh no, it shouldn't be doing that". They are making a new can, testing it and then shipping it today. So, me? I am going to sand me some panels again this afternoon. Hopefully I will get er done when the paint comes in.

Back