• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

Todays project is Cheez’s fault 🤣. After looking at his tool shelves he caused me to reflect on my pile of tools.

My battery tools and chargers were just kinda piled on a shelf or two.
Please provide some details on how you hung the drills/drivers.

Please provide some details on how you hung the drills/drivers.

I might be what you would call a hoarder because I look at leftovers from projects and can’t throw them away because 1. I paid good money for that
2. I can use that for something else 🤪🤣

Like I said in the original post, looking at Cheez’s handiwork I figured I needed to organize my battery tools.

I used the left over ends of the posts from a fence project my wife had me do. I’m retired so my wife has this long list.

I will just show some photos to convey the project.

You could also use 4 or 5 inch plastic pipe.
10 inch piece
2ED7E7AF-7A05-4C83-B1DD-CEE2C690E1AC.jpeg
5 inch plastic post
5B9F7CA5-BDF8-4D9D-BE2B-6E4A9F70D824.jpeg
Mark 4 inch from one end
EC1BE71D-BB0F-4A75-8ADE-C5604638FFF0.jpeg
2 inch hole
D52BF597-9C39-4106-A340-18CC1445FCEC.jpeg
Attach to the underside of a shelf
7A6511E2-B07B-4F21-8E89-6387C8B7582B.jpeg4B35DAA3-DE2E-4397-BB21-5D4EF2F29933.jpeg

Attachments

• 4B2F5CDA-9900-4943-A9B1-ACEB068FD68D.jpeg
    4B2F5CDA-9900-4943-A9B1-ACEB068FD68D.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 86
Yup. I was given that cup by one of the fellows I hired. I hired him to replace me when I got a promotion. He looked good on paper and after four years or so he has proved himself to be a better, younger me. I’m proud of him.

Todays project is Cheez’s fault 🤣. After looking at his tool shelves he caused me to reflect on my pile of tools.

My battery tools and chargers were just kinda piled on a shelf or two.

Now hopefully when the kids borrow them they might come back to the proper place

No before photo. I’m too embarrassed 😳

I really need to do something like this my stuff is a mess. I have the room, just not good at organizing.

Anytime anyone wants to stop by and take a look at my shop they are welcome to. It is both organized and a total disaster. Just depends on where you look. I have picked up some good ideas (Cheez tool storage for one) and my son gifted me some killer shelving.

Bleep.

DSCN6654.JPG

Heh heh heh.....

DSCN6655.JPG

Ummmmm.......

DSCN6656.JPG

Oh yeah baby.......

DSCN6659.JPG

3 tubes of Loctite expertly hiding, so......

DSCN6661.JPG

Boom.

DSCN6662.JPG

I don't think the old blade would cut melted butter, so......

DSCN6660.JPG

Weird that's the only spot on the whole frame with rust, but oh well. Sadly, now I have to mow.

I went over and helped my dad with some wiring on his CL350, then came home and spent 15 minutes with my latest scooter project, which now runs and I buttoned it up and test-rode. Not too bad for half a day of tinkering.

Made 2 platforms for big lasers that will go at the Botanical Gardens in November. The effect is at the primitive pond there and the banks slope a bit.
They need more paint, I'll win no awards for carpentry, but they will be sturdy when legs are added to level and braces and such.

DSCN6669.JPG

This will be my office for 8 weeks starting mid November. Lasers on the other side making colorful scans just above the water.

View to cabin.JPG

It'll look something like this.

liquid sky.jpg

Bleep.

View attachment 304743

Heh heh heh.....

View attachment 304744

Ummmmm.......

View attachment 304745

Oh yeah baby.......

View attachment 304746

3 tubes of Loctite expertly hiding, so......

View attachment 304747

Boom.

View attachment 304748

I don't think the old blade would cut melted butter, so......

View attachment 304749

Weird that's the only spot on the whole frame with rust, but oh well. Sadly, now I have to mow.
He did all that work and unfortunately he found out later that the fuel tank leaks the shaft is bent and the pull cord is broke

He did all that work and unfortunately he found out later that the fuel tank leaks the shaft is bent and the pull cord is broke

Actually I finished mowing the last time sans the wheel. I hope to have no grass by next spring to worry about with xeriscaping.

My wife and I are members and will be there to enjoy your handiwork. That will be awesome!

My portion is ridiculously simple, it's the 1.2 miles of other lighting that are pretty hairy to set up.
I'll see people I haven't seen in a couple years working on it and I'm sure I'll dive in somewhere.
THAT will be awesome!!

This was not today, but a month ago: Installed a Mr. Cool mini-split AC/Heat unit. How did I miss doing this years ago? From my phone I can turn it on when I am out and the garage is cool when I get home to work on stuff. 2T unit $1500+tax at Costco. Another 500 for an electrician to install a 230V disconnect. After sweating or being cold all these years...

No real progress made on the CJ2A. Looking for a sand blasting place to do the grille and windshield frame since it has a lot of nooks and crannies that I can't get into with my abrasive wheels. I installed the winch leads for my 2in receiver winch on the XJ and installed an aux fuse block in the CJ5 with an extra set of power outlets for the passenger. Ignore the wires I've got to finish cleaning them up after the install. The Painless kit had a lot of extra wiring that didn't get used in the engine bay for options this Jeep didn't have. I've also started buying my oil by the 5 gallon bucket.

cj5 aux fuse block.jpg

20211011_081820.jpg

Panicked and crapped my pants. :eek2:

Went into the garage to the strong smell of burning electric. It wasn't my ancient freezer, or anything else in there I could see.
It was my piece of junk smoker sitting just around from the door that fried it's heater wires for the third (and last) time.

Searching for a reason why to not put it in the alley and run it over. Repeatedly.

Hey Masterbuilt!! :moon:

Went into the garage to the strong smell of burning electric.
Thank you for posting this. It prompted me to go out in the garage and disconnect my power tool battery chargers; too many stories about unattended chargers burning down the garage in the middle of the night.

Buttoned up the CB450 clutch replacement. It wasn’t worn too bad but the steel plates were installed incorrectly which reduced the contact area. I de-glazed the steel plates and gave myself an involuntary manicure. Everything cleaned up and was within spec for thickness and flatness. New fiber plates and NOS springs installed easily. Checked and cleaned the oil slinger while it was exposed.

Also did new seals and gaskets on the left side and so far so good on oil leaks.

Now that the clutch is really grabbing and loading up the engine I have an issue with it stumbling above 1/2 throttle. Might be fuel delivery. I’ll start diagnostics on that soon, but might need a day or two to muster motivation.

Just happy to be doing maintenance on a motorcycle instead of looking at a collection of parts.

Attachments

• EA68DFF0-C6B2-4D88-AED7-6F7B1EDAB046.jpeg
    EA68DFF0-C6B2-4D88-AED7-6F7B1EDAB046.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 84
  • 49536BDF-DCC7-4E9C-9165-5809DE5C4538.jpeg
    49536BDF-DCC7-4E9C-9165-5809DE5C4538.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 71523B48-B14C-42B2-8CEA-AAEC351AD382.jpeg
    71523B48-B14C-42B2-8CEA-AAEC351AD382.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 70
  • C1B34A10-D3D3-443D-8B66-D33C1536EEAF.jpeg
    C1B34A10-D3D3-443D-8B66-D33C1536EEAF.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 8FBDF045-054F-4582-8E24-B1FA7A7AAFA2.jpeg
    8FBDF045-054F-4582-8E24-B1FA7A7AAFA2.jpeg
    320.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 5C6FDE3D-55AE-42DE-8FCD-396567197A8F.jpeg
    5C6FDE3D-55AE-42DE-8FCD-396567197A8F.jpeg
    384.4 KB · Views: 79
Short version:
The *&^%$#@ recalcitrant boat is "ready" for a long fishing weekend.

Long version:
Last year we paid ANOTHER pile of money to get the bloody boat working, then used it ONE time before the cool weather hit. This spring we figured "good to go" and headed out to the lake just to cruise around while the kids were at school. Even thought of pulling up to one of only a half-handful of restaurants that have a lakeside dock.

So we cruise the absurdly long "no wake" zone (Jones Bros. Park boat ramp) then come up on the plane and head out; just then I spotted a cove I hadn't noticed before, so we pulled in to see if it would make a good spot to picnic with the kids next time, or just to go necking. Sure enough, nice place, and we WILL go there again. But the goal was to get to a restaurant, so off we went.

I noticed the boat felt sluggish turning around, but I hit the throttle and it BOGGED. I have felt that feeling TOO MANY TIMES.

The Volvo Penta has a "U-Turn" main cooling hose that seems to blow thru about once every year, so I figured "head for the ramp". Of course, there was the usual flooding water showing itself out from under the engine cover, so Sally grabbed a "Big Gulp" cup and started bailing as fast as she could (the bilge pump wasn't keeping up, and it was a good trot back to the ramp). This time the leak was WAY more than usual.

We took turns bailing and driving, and we were both getting worn out, but JUST made it back to the dock, standing in ankle-deep water. We also hit a BIG rock just below visibility level, WAY out from shore. (We marked that spot for future reference)

I had just installed the boom crane on the back of my truck which made it easy enough to drag the unbelievably swamped boat up onto the trailer. I took the engine cover off and noticed the hose was not torn in the usual spot. Pretty cool, that crane has REALLY come in handy. So, once the 100 gallons or so drained out, we headed for the ranch where I covered the boat and peeled out leaving it for dead (again).

I called the boat guy and told him what happened, and mentioned that FOR ONCE, it WASN'T a torn cooling hose. His first reply was "I'll bet your block cracked in the freeze". That was in March.

Day before yesterday, I pulled the engine cover with flashlight in hand and started nosing around. IMMEDIATELY, I spotted a rotten freeze plug sitting in the bilge pan! The second one was pushed out, but hadn't dropped out. Off to O'Reilley's for 2 new plugs, popped them in, hooked up the feed water to the garden hose and noted NO LEAKS! Wow. Too easy.

So, I put it on the battery charger and left it overnight. In the morning I hit the keyswitch and NOTHING. Usually I get a click or four, then it will kick the solenoid in and spin. I knew what had to happen next (no need to ask HOW i knew this). The flooding had of course infiltrated the cheap starter (expensive, but cheap, you know what I mean?).

Rebuilt it (sure enough, it was a mess), then STILL couldn't get a click out of it. I shorted the main terminals and it spun, and hot wired the solenoid and it clicked and kicked, so it must be the keyswitch.

I'll eave out the long version of my SON'S boat story, it's a doozie. Short version: HIS boat, that 4 of us were counting on for this weekend fishing trip that is pre-booked, non-cancellable, was dependent on HIS boat which is flakier than mine (not typically, just this time).

So, I was under the gun to get mine WORKING by today at 2PM when we load up and head out.

So, yesterday afternoon it was back to the auto parts place for a momentary contact starter button; hot wired it in, and IT WORKS. Took 2 cranks to get it to stay lit (carb was dry), but it settled into a perfect idle.

So, the *&^%$#@ recalcitrant boat is "ready" for a long fishing weekend. (fingers AND toes crossed)

Last edited:
Short version:
The *&^%$#@ recalcitrant boat is "ready" for a long fishing weekend.

Long version:
Last year we paid ANOTHER pile of money to get the bloody boat working, then used it ONE time before the cool weather hit. This spring we figured "good to go" and headed out to the lake just to cruise around while the kids were at school. Even thought of pulling up to one of only a half-handful of restaurants that have a lakeside dock.

So we cruise the absurdly long "no wake" zone then come up on the plane and head out; just then I spotted a cove I hadn't noticed before, so we pulled in to see if it would make a good spot to picnic with the kids next time, or just to go necking. Sure enough, nice place, and we WILL go there again. But the goal was to get to a restaurant, so off we went.

I noticed the boat felt sluggish turning around, but I hit the throttle and it BOGGED. I have felt that feeling TOO MANY TIMES.

The Volvo Penta has a "U-Turn" main cooling hose that seems to blow thru about once every year, so I figured "head for the ramp". Of course, there was the usual flooding water showing itself out from under the engine cover, so Sally grabbed a "Big Gulp" cup and started bailing as fast as she could (the bilge pump wasn't keeping up, and it was a good trot back to the ramp). This time the leak was WAY more than usual.

We took turns bailing and driving, and we were both getting worn out, but JUST made it back to the dock, standing in ankle-deep water.

I had just installed the boom crane on the back of my truck which made it easy enough to drag the unbelievably swamped boat up onto the trailer. I took the engine cover off and noticed the hose was not torn in the usual spot. Pretty cool, that crane has REALLY come in handy. So, once the 100 gallons or so drained out, we headed for the ranch where I covered the boat and peeled out leaving it for dead (again).

I called the boat guy and told him what happened, and mentioned that FOR ONCE, it WASN'T a torn cooling hose. His first reply was "I'll bet your block cracked in the freeze". That was in March.

Day before yesterday, I pulled the engine cover with flashlight in hand and started nosing around. IMMEDIATELI, I spotted a rotten freeze plug sitting in the bilge pan! The second one was pushed out, but hadn't dropped out. Off to O'Reilley's for 2 new plugs, popped them in, hooked up the feed water to the garden hose and noted NO LEAKS! Wow. Too easy.

So, I put it on the battery charger and left it overnight. In the morning I hit the keyswitch and NOTHING. Usually I get a click or four, then it will kick the solenoid in and spin. I knew what had to happen next (no need to ask HOW i knew this). The flooding had of course infiltrated the cheap starter (expensive, but cheap, you know what I mean?).

Rebuilt it (sure enough, it was a mess), then STILL couldn't get a click out of it. I shorted the main terminals and it spun, and hot wired the solenoid and it clicked and kicked, so it must be the keyswitch.

I'll eave out the long version of my SON'S boat story, it's a doozie. Short version: HIS boat, that 4 of us were counting on for this weekend fishing trip that is pre-booked, non-cancellable, was dependent on HIS boat which is flakier than mine (not typically, just this time).

So, I was under the gun to get mine WORKING by today at 2PM when we load up and head out.

So, yesterday afternoon it was back to the auto parts place for a momentary contact starter button; hot wired it in, and IT WORKS. Took 2 cranks to get it to stay lit (carb was dry), but it settled into a perfect idle.

So, the *&^%$#@ recalcitrant boat is "ready" for a long fishing weekend. (fingers AND toes crossed)

B ring
O ut
A nother
T hou$$and

Yep, we rented a boat last month (lake Travis) for one last fling with the kids & skis. $400 for 4 hours.

Flip a coin on whether it was worth it...

Yep, we rented a boat last month (lake Travis) for one last fling with the kids & skis. $400 for 4 hours.

Flip a coin on whether it was worth it...

How much does 4 hours of use of your own boat cost? Not counting your time to repair it, of course. Even just counting the depreciation cost of purchasing the boat, my guess is it is more than $400, and that's not considering the cost of maintenance, repairs, storage...

Back