• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

Tried some footpegs that don't fit! 😡🤬 The guys at pro-mo
IMG_20220115_120917425_HDR.jpg

to-billet promised these would fit my 625 SXC!!! Well they don't!!!!

Replaced the touch screen in my Garmin Montana. So far it works it just seems to need a little more force than the original. Thanks to @KTMCarhart for a couple tips and the assurance I could knock this out.
DABBE217-6C91-43F1-B54D-D29B0FF10B7C.jpeg

I've wanted one of these griddles for some time, especially since Scott made the Jeep Grill.
The BMW Grill would be stupid, so.....
The surface says coated with a "rust protection" coating. Wasn't Teflon bad enough? Can't possibly be toxic now, could it??

DSCN7114.JPG

Well, I have my own rust protection for cooking surfaces. I call it Bacon! Drat! Out of discs, Harbor Freight here I come.

DSCN7115.JPG

Took it inside for a hot soapy scrub after this, then here we go. Pardon all the crap in the truck, going to the dump tomorrow.

DSCN7117.JPG

Just olive oil for the test burn. It came up to 350 pretty quick and smokin'!
Lots of complaints about hot spots online. Well duh, if you look at the H pattern burners you'll kinda know.
This also helps.

DSCN7118.JPG

I'll pick up a box of bacon ends and pieces tomorrow and do it right.

Meanwhile back in the garage, I snagged one of these at HF to try and get some gnarly carbs cleaned up.

DSCN7119.JPG

Now to try and answer why, when I haven't done any work in there, the benches still get covered in crap. :doh:

This little Tufted Titmouse was watching me in the garage.

One neighborhood bum cat wandered into the garage for food today. Later a cardinal was pecking at the crumbs as I was at the bench as if to say "hey dummy, the feeder dish is empty!" And I cannot keep suet in the cage thing as sparrows come in like squadrons of Zero's and go crazy on it all. I swear there must have been near 50 at a time this afternoon, it was nuts! And fun to watch!

Cutting up some old and abused lighting truss to go to scrap today, because it is custom white elephant stuff and I need it gone.
I have no idea how long I've had this Northern Tool grinder, but it bit the big one today. Dangit!!
As John Candy would say, "it blowed up real good!"

DSCN7121.JPG

Fooey! And nuts to NT, they have an attitude anymore. Harbor Freight it is.

And just OUTside the garage, it was seasoning day. Neighbor asked if I was having a bacon party.
I said yes. Yes I am.

DSCN7122.JPG

DSCN7123.JPG

Nice appetizer.

That "cheap" bacon is WAY saltier than I like, so I thought about something needing salt to put it in.
A few good suggestions and then a friend said split pea soup, and the lightbulb went on.
Never made it and haven't had it in years!

Nothing big, no really, nothing big. I need to attach a cleaves with a 2-56 thread to a .032 cable for a pull pull control system on a large scale RC airplane. With some patience, my small lathe, a 2-56 die, a 1mm drill bit and some 3/32 brazing rod I came up with this…
2E6BA670-E7E8-4E33-8ECE-07913B1BB31B.jpeg

Slicked-up my Rossi Rio Grande. Darn action was stuck and I had to take it apart and free it. You could use most of the integral parts for knives or files depending on if you rub the edges or flats. Knocked off a lot of rough edges with the ceramic stones. It could use a lot more effort, but the action works and is a LOT better than it was.

Replaced the air pump on my Marquis. Air suspension light was coming on and I diagnosed it to the release solenoid in the pump - never had on of them go bad. Pump supposedly has a lifetime warranty. I'm gonna call the manufacturer on Monday to see if they will warranty it. I have my receipt from 2015 and a 155K miles ago.

I haven't done anything in the garage yet today, but I have plans. Some of them are the same plans I have had for months. Difference is, today I have the whole day 100% to myself as far as I know.

1. for once and for all, I need to replace the rear brake pads on my GS500. And it's been sitting now for over two months since I last rode it, and Star-tron or not, those carbs don't like that. So maybe I'll go out and ride it today.

2. if it gets warm enough, today or tomorrow, I may try some touch up paint on my scooter from where it fell. I got Testors model paint, it was the closest match I could find. We'll see.

3. the big one! my wife and I both being taller than average (I'm 5'11.x", she's 6'0"), she finally got sick and tired of the standard height vanity in the master bathroom so I designed a new taller one to build as part of our master bath remodel. The face frame is in my garage and I need to build the rest of it. Drawers are on order from a drawer box company, since I don't want to have to do 10x dove tail plywood boxes, but in the meantime I need to build the balance of the cabinet. Step 1 is to head over to Lowes and pick up a couple of sheets of maple plywood. Speaking of which, who here knows a good wood supplier where I can get some 3/4" cherry boards near Cedar Park?

Pictures coming if I actually accomplish any of this.

Changed out the horn on my 09 Road King. It was sounding pretty anemic and I could barely hear it over the exhaust with the engine NOT running. The cheapest replacement option was and epay score of a new "louder" horn Harley installed on 2014 and later bikes. I got worried when the one I took-off had all the same part numbers as the new one; but, the new one is waaay louder. New one is on par with a the factory horn on my F350. Maybe now something other than my thumb will notice I'm honking the horn.

Pictures coming if I actually accomplish any of this.

Taken the entire weekend, the only thing I accomplished is buying the material for my cabinet, and putting away my trailer after I unloaded it.

I didn't take pictures, because I'd be depressed by such a non-productive weekend.

I did wind up getting my time redirected to assist my daughter with some of her stuff, which was a better use of my time than tinkering with motorcycles or building cabinets.

All kidding aside that is remarkable artwork. Good job TwinSpar. Is it welded with wire welder?
Yup. One thing I never knew is that some chains are galvanized. I hate that crap. Thanks for the compliment!

After weeks of plotting and scheming, I finally finished the trailer hitch for my 09 F 800 GS!! The trailer is a Tag-A-Long from Northern Tool! I faced numerous challenges along the way, and with the help and advice from numerous members of the TWT community, was able to overcome all of them!

I still have to drill and tap for the safety chain loops, and need to paint the box to match the trunk, but paint will have to wait for warmer weather! Handling is great during the unloaded testing, and I am looking forward to going camping at numerous state parks when it warms up. I think Junction, along the river may be my first outing, but I'll let y'all know!

Ride safe!

Attachments

• 20220125_144815.jpg
    20220125_144815.jpg
    656.6 KB · Views: 91
After weeks of plotting and scheming, I finally finished the trailer hitch for my 09 F 800 GS!! The trailer is a Tag-A-Long from Northern Tool! I faced numerous challenges along the way, and with the help and advice from numerous members of the TWT community, was able to overcome all of them!

I still have to drill and tap for the safety chain loops, and need to paint the box to match the trunk, but paint will have to wait for warmer weather! Handling is great during the unloaded testing, and I am looking forward to going camping at numerous state parks when it warms up. I think Junction, along the river may be my first outing, but I'll let y'all know!

Ride safe!
Great Scott! Great job! You could even put an air conditioner for your tent in there.

Back