• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

Started the pool equipment/shower house today. Loaded the yard ape up with all the tools I thought I'd need and drove over to the site. Still ended making 50 round trips to the shop for this or that. My dogs are tired from that and all the trips up and down the ladder. Still have a long way to go.

IMG_3273.JPG

Did a little piddlin on the scoot today. Went 17/45 trying to find that elusive sweet spot.

Attachments

• IMG_20200328_145914.jpg
    IMG_20200328_145914.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20200328_161007.jpg
    IMG_20200328_161007.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 138
Concrete guy showed up at 7:30 this morning and busted out 60' of slab, then dug a 2' deep footer (the photo is deceptive), plus rigged up some supports and tie-downs before he left for the day at 1:30. He did more in 6 hours than I could have done all week.

IMG_20200328_131022.jpg

IMG_20200328_131128.jpg

While he was busting butt on digging that all out, I installed an side rear view mirror on the golf cart. Much better than the regular mirror.

Mirror.jpg

Reactions: Tom
Fixed the fog light bracket on my truck.
Pulled the tank and fuel pump from the WR. Currently fighting with those fuel pump housing tabs trying to get it apart - they're a good fight.

Nav is definitely in a bad spot. How you like the windshield?

I really like the screen, is a hug difference especially from a buffeting standpoint and on the highway at 80 it really makes a big difference. I like it from a height perspective too, as it allows me to still easily see over it. And it doesn't look half bad.

Valve Check and new Plugs on the F800gs. It even fired up first try.

Attachments

• IMG_20200328_125443.jpg
    IMG_20200328_125443.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20200328_091611.jpg
    IMG_20200328_091611.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 138
Focus Frenzy came by and changed a tire, then we installed a propane kit on my Honda generator and the Dragin Lady did some badly needed cleaning and reorganizing in the shop to boot. She's a good wife she is. No pics so it must have been a dream.

My garage time this weekend was spent on my sons truck. Needed to change valve seals and swap pushrods for some .100 longer to try to correct rocker arm geometry. Once I got into them I found out the machine shop that did the valves didn’t put propped spring locators or hardened shims so I had to order more parts and I get to do the job again to make it right. No pics of the work just the bone pile.
View attachment 257288
He also made mention that the steering wheel wasn’t staying centered. We had done ball joint, tie rods, drag link and steering box last time he was home a couple months ago. I started looking around and noticed front axle had been moving on leaf spring. Fond the center pin in leaf spring sheered.
View attachment 257289
When I used to build FE ford truck motors I would clearance the pushrods as I put the motor together , all it took was to measure one commercial reman motor to realize all they did was put it together with whatever they grabbed out of the pile . I would use a pushrod the correct length to put lifter travel in the center of its travel . Those motors would pur . Several different sizes were available but as time went by and after production stopped on the FE motor parts started to dry up so I started grinding the lifter end to make it the right length . The last engine I built got retired 5 years ago . I hated to see it go to the scrap yard , still running fine but the truck it was in was a pile and some times you just gotta let go .

Concrete guy showed up at 7:30 this morning and busted out 60' of slab, then dug a 2' deep footer (the photo is deceptive), plus rigged up some supports and tie-downs before he left for the day at 1:30. He did more in 6 hours than I could have done all week.

View attachment 257744

View attachment 257745

While he was busting butt on digging that all out, I installed an side rear view mirror on the golf cart. Much better than the regular mirror.

View attachment 257746
Looks like nice neighborhood too :thumb:

installed a propane kit
thats a great idea, seen those. makes so much sense with the way the residual fuel will cause the carb to foul. and one big ol propane tank can really run a long time unattended. you are starting to see them more and more at the stores marketed as "duel fuel", like at tractor supply.

When I used to build FE ford truck motors I would clearance the pushrods as I put the motor together , all it took was to measure one commercial reman motor to realize all they did was put it together with whatever they grabbed out of the pile . I would use a pushrod the correct length to put lifter travel in the center of its travel . Those motors would pur . Several different sizes were available but as time went by and after production stopped on the FE motor parts started to dry up so I started grinding the lifter end to make it the right length . The last engine I built got retired 5 years ago . I hated to see it go to the scrap yard , still running fine but the truck it was in was a pile and some times you just gotta let go .
giphy.gif

Hooked a trailer yesterday with a tail light and the license light out. Stopped at a truck stop with a shop near tomorrow's first stop to serve the federal make-no-money sentence forced on truckers. Seems the tech is out recovering from some STD or drug overdose or something. Nobody knew for sure. Squirt lots of homemade sterilizer all over.

Got back to the truck to take a look. seems the wires from electrical box under doors to curb side tail and license light had been whacked, pulled too tight, and road vibration had pulled a couple plugs apart and pulled a couple wires out of plugs. Went to rehook wires in box and noticed white wire (typically ground) was hooked to same stud as several brown wires (typically fused hot from switch). Not right! Studied about 3 seconds and determined tail/license brown wire hooked to ground stud with all the other light circuits ground wires. Not right!

So, how to determine if tail and/or license light wires were reversed since LEDs usually don't work when wired backwards? Reversed dead circuit's wire connections to proper studs and VOILA!, both worked perfectly. Best thing, no fuses blew and nothing caught fire.

Not to mention threads in plastic wire stud box lid were stripped so had to glue the lid back on with a couple dabs of gasket sealer. Last person to attempt repair was in way over his/her head and really messed it up.

Cost of repair? $00.00.

Converting all lights on my Nighthawk 750 to LEDs to run an extra headlight with the energy difference. Going to 35 watt LEDs in all 3 headlights. Plus, LEDs almost never burn out. 1157s typically draw about 8.3 watts in running mode, 32 watts in brake/turn modes. LEDs are brighter and only draw about 0.3 watts, so each converted bulb allows 8 watts in running mode. Front turns and tails converted show 32 watts available for an extra headlight. Also turns and tails will be about as bright as a 55 watt H4 halogen headlight in turn and brake/turn mode.

Converting the original H4 headlight to LED provides 20 more watts towards the 3rd headlight. Converting the gauge lights adds up to about 10 watts, so total electrical load will be about the same as stock. Converting all the indicators to LED should make up the few watts difference.

Problem is, lots of online sources claim to have done such a project, but I don't think so. NOBODY has part numbers and practically EVERYBODY complains about LEDs being too dim or too bright. I've found most LEDs are available with different light dispersion patterns. An indicator light can be way too bright with a 15* pattern, just right with a 90* pattern, and too dim with a 180* pattern, all 3 bulbs drawing the same watts. NOBODY can answer questions about such things. So, most online sources are typical online BS, with bits of reality here and there. Even CLYMER is wrong about the bulbs used in the gauges. I had to disassemble the gauges and identify each light according to oddball sources.

For instance, 1157 bulbs can supposedly replace any of the following: 1016, 1034, 1034A, 1034LL, 1034NA, 1035, 1157, 1157A, 1157ALL, 1157LL, 1157NA, 1157ST, 1178A, 1196, 198, 198LL, 198NA, 2057, 2057A, 2057ALL, 2057LL, 2057NA, 2057ST, 2357, 2357A, 2357ALL, 2357LL, 2357NA, 2397, 2397LL, 3496, 3496LL, 7528, 7528L, 7528LL, 94 Which is correct? Depends on color. WARNING: I know from experience that 1157 bulbs will not replace 2057 bulbs in some applications because the cup measurements are not exactly right. Hard to find the problem when you replace 1157s with other 1157s and the intermittently don't work due to no ground from the couple thousandths difference in cup diameter from the original 2057s. Learned that with an S10 pick up. Got it really cheap because the tail lights and brake lights didn't work. Watch for such things. On the Nighthawk, superbrightLEDs calls for 2057s, and for gauge lights 158s, but claims 194s are the way to go. Only the turn indicator and speedo illumination are 158/194. All the rest are something else. CLYMER also calls for 3 identical gauge illumination bulbs, but you really have 2 of one, 1 of the other. NOBODY seems to know.

Added complications include aftermarket turn signals that don't match wire color cords. Same goes for the flasher plug--all wires are black.

I will get the conversion done, but I only get a couple hours a month to work with the bike.

Rotated tires on my Jeep and adjusted the air pressure. I sure wish I knew a young mechanic within 30 miles that liked making a lil $ to do this kinda thing....

pulled apart rear suspension on the KTM to clean and put fresh bearing in all the rear linkage

Thanks. It's for 18" dolls but I'm sure my daughter will fit a half dozen on the thing.
I admire the craftsmanship, I'm no good with wood

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back