• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

Exactly. Leakdown was 30% and I now have time to do it.
Getting lots of projects completed during the lockdown

Installed a California Science Sport windshield on my V-Strom. Got it from the FS section of the Stromtroopers site. In excellent condition and got it for a bout half of the originial price. Only catch, the owner stated no mounting hardware (?), had to order the mounting hardware from CalSci. OK, just $15 for that, no prob....

Mounting is a bit fiddly, but went on easy enough once I figured out the instructions. Almost everything bolted up correctly, except for the left upper well nut (I don't like well nuts), it wouldn't hold and kept pulling out when I adjusted the windshield height. Some thinking concluded that I needed to get some hardware to correct the problem, so onto Lowe's. Got SS screws, wing nuts, and washers. got back home, found I'd grabbed a #8 wing nut instead of the #10 needed :doh: So back to Lowe's (only a couple miles :thumb:).

And so:
CalSci.jpg

Considering how I don't like well nuts, I might end up doing the same fix to the other fasteners. The wing nuts will allow me to tighten the screws if needed.

Still have the rear hugger and center stand to install. Post up on that later.

Last edited:
Scraped off old gasket material from too many surfaces.

That was me last year when figuring out these Vickers pumps from a Sperry B-17 turret.
The worst part was, you have to make your own gaskets. Hate that!!

I took one of these to an auto parts store I've known the manager of for some time. He knew I was coming.
I plopped it down in front of a new guy, and said I need a gasket kit for it.
The power steering pump in my old BMW is a Vickers, he sees it in my record, and I said "oh yeah, John said Fel-Pro has it."
John is behind a rack cracking up. We let the kid squirm for a bit then fessed up. He was really stumped.
Jerks!! :lol2:

That was me last year when figuring out these Vickers pumps from a Sperry B-17 turret.
The worst part was, you have to make your own gaskets. Hate that!!

I took one of these to an auto parts store I've known the manager of for some time. He knew I was coming.
I plopped it down in front of a new guy, and said I need a gasket kit for it.
The power steering pump in my old BMW is a Vickers, he sees it in my record, and I said "oh yeah, John said Fel-Pro has it."
John is behind a rack cracking up. We let the kid squirm for a bit then fessed up. He was really stumped.
Jerks!! :lol2:

View attachment 258264
___hole. :lol2:

Well, its happening due to my Corona induced vacation. 6-10 hours a day for a couple weeks now. Current shortage of anchor bolts for walls and the wife is starting to weigh in on design and finish decisions. Ooooh shucks, I need to listen, cause shes good at it. Add 25% to time and cost but the result will be better. I'm teaching her about statistics, appropriate margin of error for a guy like me, and paretos along the way. But she's also my only helper in this lockdown, so I gotta be nice. Now I'll admit I'm a sore tired old pup; the hammer drill is making my hands hurt bad. But only another 400 hours and I'll have my music studio done, and band members, visiting players and riding dignitaries will be able to stay overnight in style. Jesus recommended hospitality so I'm all in :-) If anyone wants to camp and properly social distance themselves, I still have the perfect site along the San Gabriel river. I'm just not as social as I used to be :-)

Attachments

• 20200404_111057.jpg
    20200404_111057.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 161
Went to our lake place to take some chain link and other repurposed material up. Too cold and wet when we got there so did some of this in our 'lake garage' today.

Installed a new fuel pump and regulator on the WR. Might put stickers on him later, dress up his plastics.

Swapped out 6 flat front old doors with newer style 6 panel doors in my house.

Been working it off and on for the last week. Finished today.

Installed a new fuel pump and regulator on the WR. Might put stickers on him later, dress up his plastics.
Was the fuel pump the issue from Big Bend?

Sitting at Great Dane watching the tech run the bill up trying to fix a $7 LED clearance light that isn't working. Great Dane are not the quality they used to be. I'm guessing designed by penny pinching engineers who never drove trucks and built by people who don't speak American these days. Pure junk materials and labor. How many hours does it take to pull 20 feet of wire?
well Thursday I pulled 20 feet of #8 hydraulic line through a 2020 Great Dane reefer trailer with liftgate because they thought it would be funny to rivet in the hose channel instead of using bolts, then they kinked the line so it would pop out on the road.

Technically it was yesterday (**** I started up too late!), But I installed a replacement dimmer module on my Twin. Aux lights are back up. Hopefully this one will last more than a few miles!

Used the multi-tool to remove the support posts for the former sun shade on the front of the house.

View attachment 258384

View attachment 258385
To anybody that hasn't bought a multi tool, do not delay! They make life SO much easier. I cut out a electrical junction box in a vaulted ceiling putting in a ceiling fan capable box yesterday.

To anybody that hasn't bought a multi tool, do not delay! They make life SO much easier. I cut out a electrical junction box in a vaulted ceiling putting in a ceiling fan capable box yesterday.
Yes, my sawzall was my go-to tool, but this new little thing is amazing.

Yes, my sawzall was my go-to tool, but this new little thing is amazing.
This is the one I got, and so far, it's done everything I needed. Precisely cutting out the bottom of an exterior door jamb, letting me repair, rather than replace the whole thing, cutting off some hanging file supports and yesterday's junction box adventure. Wish I'd had it when undercutting door jambs laying flooring.

I guess it is a matter of perspective. My only exposure to one of these contraptions was during post-Harvey muck-outs. Someone brought one out to cut sheetrock off the walls and it was woefully slow and ineffective. That is the impression that I was left with. I suppose it simply wasn't the right tool for that job.

In the past week while “on call” I added subframe connectors and started putting insulation in the old jalopy.

Attachments

• 2658E351-3287-4F73-B123-C65F21B316A3.jpeg
    2658E351-3287-4F73-B123-C65F21B316A3.jpeg
    461.1 KB · Views: 160
  • 5C9D9277-4A2A-4837-A0B0-ECC7C883FE17.jpeg
    5C9D9277-4A2A-4837-A0B0-ECC7C883FE17.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 153
I guess it is a matter of perspective. My only exposure to one of these contraptions was during post-Harvey muck-outs. Someone brought one out to cut sheetrock off the walls and it was woefully slow and ineffective. That is the impression that I was left with. I suppose it simply wasn't the right tool for that job.
Yeah, I would go for a saws all for that job.

Yeah, I would go for a saws all for that job.

ah, but I got a Dremel tool for 20 bucks from a garage sale that oscillates for trimming the bottom of door trim with the new floors going in, and also has drywall blades. I love it, especially for making plumbing holes in drywall. the saws all got used today as well, as I cut out the framing for this annoying linen closet right as you walk in the front bathroom. boom, so much more open now!

Back