• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

IMG_0455.JPG

Today I started a new little project, not much different than probably six previous similar projects I've done in the past like this. I got ahold of a little 70's Dilly tilting boat trailer for not much coin and debated on just flipping it. Then today I was staring at it going "well, i can grind off that broken tongue wheel jack and grind off the sail bucket carrier thing to make it look better". Then a bit more looking "...well the plywood is only held on by four carriage bolts and two are rusted/rotten through the wood - lets see it i can just flip that plywood deck off and boom, it's off". Hmmm I wonder what the bearings are like so I pull the wheel/tires off and pull the hubs. Original yellow/cream nasty grease in there and one seal leaking... Dust seals one is great for matching, the other toast. I'm at a cross roads of sorts with it torn apart. So........

I need four 1" tapered spindle bearings and two dust seals. How hard could that be, right? I mean, I even had the bearing numbers and know what it came off of. Turns out all afternoon was running to Advance Auto, Auto Zone, O'Rielys and they either didn't have them or only one. The dust seal was a total bust at all three as all they could do is say "hey - come back here and take a look for what you need". Heck - I even measured the shoulder size for them and provided it. And I wanted some emery cloth to clean up the spindle shafts a bit. All three stores looked at me like I was crazy - emery what???

So I run to Home Depot - Emery cloth is in paint. "Oh - you want rolled? That's in plumbing". Plumbing says it's in Paint. No Joy. None to be had.

Then I run to Ace Hardware. The guy kid looks at me like, "um.... emery what"? That's when the 17ish y/o girl said "hey, if we have it, it's over here but I've not seen any in a while". Sure enough, none there. But she knew what it was!

Mind you, I've now spent probably 2.5 hours looking for this stuff.

On my way home there's a little homegrown auto parts store called FOX Auto. I stop in there and the gal says "yep, we've got two of the bearings in stock and can have the other two here Tuesday morning". Great! Order the other two now. Sure - no problem, Timkens are on their way!. "Hey - do you have emery cloth"? Yep - over here, several grits to choose from. This. Was. Awesome.

Then came time for the dust seals. They guy asked what it goes to while pulling out the big Timken book and flipping to the dust seal chapter. There's several to choose from that were close but the thickness wasn't right. When I said "boat trailer" he said "Ah - that's this reference". He pulls out a well worn sheet, looks up the bearing number, goes to the back and come out with two perfectly matching proper dust seals.

Fox Auto will have me as a customer from now on.

Now - off to clean up and get one side done tonight before the goblins take over...... Hopefully I can get the mechanicals finished up tomorrow. Then it's sanding/prime&paint. Hmmm... What color?

Today I started a new little project, not much different than probably six previous similar projects I've done in the past like this. I got ahold of a little 70's Dilly tilting boat trailer for not much coin and debated on just flipping it. Then today I was staring at it going "well, i can grind off that broken tongue wheel jack and grind off the sail bucket carrier thing to make it look better". Then a bit more looking "...well the plywood is only held on by four carriage bolts and two are rusted/rotten through the wood - lets see it i can just flip that plywood deck off and boom, it's off". Hmmm I wonder what the bearings are like so I pull the wheel/tires off and pull the hubs. Original yellow/cream nasty grease in there and one seal leaking... Dust seals one is great for matching, the other toast. I'm at a cross roads of sorts with it torn apart. So........

I need four 1" shaft bearings and two dust seals. How hard could that be, right? I mean, I even had the bearing numbers and know what it came off of. Turns out all afternoon was running to Advance Auto, Auto Zone, O'Rielys and they either didn't have them or only one. The dust seal was a total bust at all three as all they could do is say "hey - come back here and take a look for what you need". Heck - I even measured the shoulder size for them and provided it. And I wanted some emery cloth to clean up the spindle shafts a bit. All three stores looked at me like I was crazy - emery what???

So I run to Home Depot - Emery cloth is in paint. "Oh - you want rolled? That's in plumbing". Plumbing says it's in Paint. No Joy. None to be had.

Then I run to Ace Hardware. The guy kid looks at me like, "um.... emery what"? That's when the 17ish y/o girl said "hey, if we have it, it's over here but I've not seen any in a while". Sure enough, none there. But she knew what it was!

Mind you, I've now spent probably 2.5 hours looking for this stuff.

On my way home there's a little homegrown auto parts store called FOX Auto. I stop in there and the gal says "yep, we've got two of the bearings in stock and can have the other two here Tuesday morning". Great! Order the other two now. Sure - no problem, Timkens are on their way!. "Hey - do you have emery cloth"? Yep - over here, several grits to choose from. This. Was. Awesome.

Then came time for the dust seals. They guy asked what it goes to while pulling out the big Timken book and flipping to the dust seal chapter. There's several to choose from that were close but the thickness wasn't right. When I said "boat trailer" he said "Ah - that's this reference". He pulls out a well worn sheet, looks up the bearing number, goes to the back and come out with two perfectly matching proper seals.

Fox Auto will have me as a customer from now on.

Now - off to clean up and get one side done tonight before the goblins take over......
Those local no-chain places usually are the best.

I finally got the upstairs floor done in my shop. 24X40 with an 8 foot ceiling upstairs for whatever. Haven’t really figured out what I am going to do with it. My great wife painted the bottom side of the sheeting white so the light I need to finish putting up reflect back down.
5F7682B9-B6FB-4B1F-BA1A-551D9E79F739.jpeg

I finally got the upstairs floor done in my shop. 24X40 with an 8 foot ceiling upstairs for whatever. Haven’t really figured out what I am going to do with it. My great wife painted the bottom side of the sheeting white so the light I need to finish putting up reflect back down. View attachment 277939
Home theater setup so you can invite your moto friends to watch Moto GP on a big screen TV gets my vote

Couldn’t decide whether to change the 1090r oil at 5k or 6k intervals. So split the difference on this one and changed it at 5600 miles. (The 9k recommendation from the manual seems excessive.) screens were clean and filter wasn’t too bad.

I’ve changed my 950 at 5000 , makes it real easy to remember and I always know when it due , 5 10 15 20 , sure makes life simple although it did rattle at 4,000 on Motorex . Everything was still fine at 7,000 on Schaffer’s when I ran a bit over on a ride about one year .

Especially if the people are literate on an "analog" basis
Yeah I love it when you ask for a dimensioned part and the first thing they do is pull out a giant paper catalog.

I really wish we had an auto parts place like this here. We do have a Grainger store, but everything has to be ordered in.

I finally got the upstairs floor done in my shop. 24X40 with an 8 foot ceiling upstairs for whatever. Haven’t really figured out what I am going to do with it. My great wife painted the bottom side of the sheeting white so the light I need to finish putting up reflect back down. View attachment 277939
Do you have a picture of the floor structure? I'm working my way through some ideas for my shop.

Dragin an old hobby out of mothballs, there is always opportunity to be creative. Today, I was finishing up an RC airplane after a 20 year sidetrack to ride motorcycles, I found myself in the need to balance an 11" prop for a plane I just built to get my stick skilz back up to par before dragging out the big toys. I found a piece of rod that fit the bore of the prop, ground a point on both ends and suspended it between two magnet studs on my lathe. The distance was adjusted so the stronger magnet pulled the point to it, leaving the other end to float free. End resuly was a ver low friction interface that indicates the slighest difference in blade weight.

Think it work out well. :thumb:

Dragin an old hobby out of mothballs, there is always opportunity to be creative. Today, I was finishing up an RC airplane after a 20 year sidetrack to ride motorcycles, I found myself in the need to balance an 11" prop for a plane I just built to get my stick skilz back up to par before dragging out the big toys. I found a piece of rod that fit the bore of the prop, ground a point on both ends and suspended it between two magnet studs on my lathe. The distance was adjusted so the stronger magnet pulled the point to it, leaving the other end to float free. End resuly was a ver low friction interface that indicates the slighest difference in blade weight.

Think it work out well. :thumb:

are the magnets strong enough to hold it if you spin it?

On the little Dilly trailer project I finished up the bearing replacements and grease seals tonight. Hopefully the next day I can power wash the frame to get the bulk of the crud off it then sand/prime it. That'll buy me time until I decide on a color.

Oil and airfilter in the sherco, tire and tube in the ttr50 and discovered a rats nest in a customer's atv
63737c07a805ff5fa30c69bc17eedad8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Power washed the trailer today and started the sanding effort. I can see where I sent a little deep on the grinding off of some metal add-on's. Not sure I want to weld filler in there and smooth that over or not at this point. I think it's going to be a cool little trailer when done.

Today's CJ progress. Brake master Cylinder on but not hooked up or bled yet, pedals hung, clutch adjusted, tub wiring harness laid out and partially hooked up, heater/fan box, fresh air vent and drain line in, tail lights installed, e brake pedal hung and hooked up, hi beam switch in and hooked up.

Also ran down to a nearby town and picked up an OEM windshield for the new frame.

_nc_ohc=iVhJ2Q6auVwAX-h3roN&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=3wDH3isawJsAX_2hoEC&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=Qn9PdJwJBWYAX-DDYQt&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Back