• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

Today's CJ progress. Brake master Cylinder on but not hooked up or bled yet, pedals hung, clutch adjusted, tub wiring harness laid out and partially hooked up, heater/fan box, fresh air vent and drain line in, tail lights installed, e brake pedal hung and hooked up, hi beam switch in and hooked up.

Also ran down to a nearby town and picked up an OEM windshield for the new frame.

View attachment 278487

View attachment 278488

View attachment 278489
Lukkn good!!!

mechanic.jpg

Today's CJ progress. Brake master Cylinder on but not hooked up or bled yet, pedals hung, clutch adjusted, tub wiring harness laid out and partially hooked up, heater/fan box, fresh air vent and drain line in, tail lights installed, e brake pedal hung and hooked up, hi beam switch in and hooked up.

Also ran down to a nearby town and picked up an OEM windshield for the new frame.

View attachment 278487

View attachment 278488

View attachment 278489
Wow!

On that blower fan assembly and plenum that no one will see hidden under the dash, is it too late to hit it with a shot of flat black?

Wow!

On that blower fan assembly and plenum that no one will see hidden under the dash, is it too late to hit it with a shot of flat black?
The dash doesn't hang down that far so you'll definitely see it haha. But after the first trip in the middle of a line of vehicles it would be just as dusty. I scraped the caked on stuff off and dissassembled it to vacuum it out and called it good.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Fixed leaky gate cylinders on my round baler

Called for a spanner wrench, my shock wrench didn't fit but my 36" pipe wrench did,
IMG_0757 (2).JPG

Wonder why they are leaking at the rod seal
IMG_0759.JPG

All better now - waiting for the next problem
IMG_0760.JPG

Thought about departed friend had that passed circa 2012. He went to the doctor about severe headache and memory loss and was found to have a Gliobastoma. He suffered from Apshasia after the initial surgery. Me and some other racer buddies helped him sell most of his tools, motors, cars, assorted racing stuff before he declined too bad. The pictured stand was one of the many things I bought from him at that time. I was amazed at how committed he was ensure his affairs were in order to relieve the burden from his family - despite his illness. He passed away in less than a year from the initial diagnosis.

Last edited:
Tough road, Rex. My Dad's dementia is progressing, albeit slowly. I spent a good 4 hours yesterday at his hangar of 25+ years where he keeps one of his planes that he'll never fly again. Hauled a load off to the dumpster and another load taken back to my house to try and sell of legitimate "good stuff". Hit me kinda hard yesterday that he won't be able to fly again. Flying was his "motorcycles," if you know what I mean.

My 60s forklift has old style V packing cylinders , several wraps of V packing around the shaft and a threaded collar that tightens up to compress the packing for a good seal . Still original . Polypack urethane desentigrates every ten years . Ive built a lot of hydraulic cylinders in my lifetime . Some good some not so good .

Was gifted a non-running generator (thanks @magus) today.
IMG_7492.jpg

Wasn't planning on doing anything with it today, but one thing led to another...
Checked spark first, it was good. Oil was fine (will change anyway once I get it running).
I was able to get it running by spraying carb cleaner in it, so I knew it would run.
Gas smelled funny for sure, so knew where that was going.
IMG_7496.jpg

Got the carb pulled apart and cleaned it up. First time in a long, long time messing with a carb, but this is a simple one.
Lots of crusties and residue in it. I think I got it cleaned up pretty well, but have a little problem.

IMG_7497.jpg

The seal between the float bowl and the carb was some type of sealant instead of an o-ring.
Should I try to find an o-ring that fits, or should I use a fuel proof gasket maker?
Not ever sure where to get an o-ring (Ace Hardware maybe?).

They have o-ring assortments of SAE and metric at O'Reilly.(buy both regardless). They also have that RTV sealant. Good luck. I never seen inside one of those inverter generators thanks for the pic. Looks like a high quality one

Was gifted a non-running generator (thanks @magus)

The seal between the float bowl and the carb was some type of sealant instead of an o-ring.
Should I try to find an o-ring that fits, or should I use a fuel proof gasket maker?
Not ever sure where to get an o-ring (Ace Hardware maybe?).

The original seal was likely a gasket. You could go to any respectable lawn mower shop and get that gasket or make one. You might find an "o-ring" that fits also.

I forgot I have a little lawnmower repair shop down the road a bit, I may stop by there and see what they have.
I measured the seal area, seems like it is ~ 45mm and 1.5 mm wide.
There are a few on amazon, but I would rather check fitment before buying.

Got the interior wiring knocked out, got the tail wiring mostly done except for the grounds, and got the engine bay wiring harness laid out. Waiting on the copper tubing kit for the oil pressure gauge, removed the wiper hardware out of the old windshield frame, hand pained the Jeep embossing on the tailgate, and the CJ-5 emblems. You can tell where I was a little shaky on some of that lol. And epoxied the original worn/faded AMC emblem back on the tailgate.

_nc_ohc=h0bgusRpJxgAX-52dpj&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=PR5b4zZTSOYAX-xLTkI&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=9FQ7KzRIK5cAX-cmE2r&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Finally got around to tidying the tail on the 701. I just removed the lower fender and re-located the license plate. All the kits leave exposed wires so I didn’t want to do that. I will probably need to add the clear license plate light and the wires are all still in there so no biggie.

0054DE01-C0FF-4FD2-AE21-3A3B1930FCA7.jpeg

C7F0331A-FBC7-45F0-B50E-C3A6DAAC5EDA.jpeg

Finally got around to tidying the tail on the 701. I just removed the lower fender and re-located the license plate. All the kits leave exposed wires so I didn’t want to do that. I will probably need to add the clear license plate light and the wires are all still in there so no biggie.

View attachment 278987

View attachment 278988
Took you long enough

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Built a fire pit . Old big truck wheels work nicely and last forever . Kids bought a house in Satler at canyon lake last summer so we’re going up this weekend , I haven’t seen it yet and we might need a fire in the evening apparently there is unlimited cedar on the property and SILs Dad has been trimming them up .

Back