• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

Which Michelin's, mouses? I ride the same stuff like you, not sure I fully trust my M59 in sand. Thanks.
I run starcross 5 mediums since I ride a mix of terrain, with michelin bib mousses since they are designed to match the tire. If you mostly ride sand they offer a soft and a sand tire in the starcross 5 line aswell

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Water pump removed waiting for replacement. Back seat in along with its seatbelts. Windshield frame, windshield and wiper assembly in place, tailgate installed, finished up the battery tray install, the support arm that came with it was way too short but I happened to have another support arm that looked like it as for a fender that fit perfectly.

Installing that glass took a good chunk of the day lol

_nc_ohc=7RjcORsWH-AAX8UMmgP&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=EjK-ubbrFEIAX9yDiFY&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=GCNDmsRByFEAX_uDmpT&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

zt50B4KeVNdrWYbi8OkDOUOycxW&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=ArDutSjnWTcAX_0gC0V&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

Almost there. Most of the soft top hardware is on. Front bumper on, front seats in, New water pump in, no coolant yet and belts are loose. Letting the RTV cure till tomorrow, horn in, rearview mirror in. Once the wiper blades come in it'll actually pass inspection.

_nc_ohc=jgJ1BMlaIKQAX_GLGvs&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=wdstSp-AUeYAX8S0OGh&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=LHS9yUDIy3cAX_3X7ZS&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

All that nice clean new work, and you didn't at least de-grime the engine? Too bad...

All that nice clean new work, and you didn't at least de-grime the engine? Too bad...
Sure didn't. You're welcome to come over and donate your time. I hosed it down with degreaser and scrubbed it as best I could. I'm not going to waste too much time on something I didn't' rebuild.

Last edited:
It together enough to move under it's own power. A few things popped up that I'm going to have to figure out. T-Case will randomly pop out of 4low. I've read this can be an issue of worn intermediate gear bearings or thrust washers but the t-case was rebuilt with all new bearings and thrust washers. I have zero power steering, I think I may have possibly put the pressure valve in the wrong way? But overall it's running better than before.

I promised the kids we would tool around our small property when I got it running enough to move. So I strapped them into the back seat and we went and played a little bit.

_nc_ohc=TS-7X9_iyf8AX9uO8rm&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=drsADNjjM9QAX-UCWY9&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=Q6QTG0OBV00AX8l2fKv&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Afterwards I changed the oil and collected an oil sample to send off the to lab. I'll see how it's looking on this first unknown oil change.

@Downs on the T-case shifter make sure it is getting the rod all the way into 4-low. I have seen worn pins and link bars cause this and also the shift boot binding between the edge of the hole and the shifter.

I'm going to replace the linkage hardware and bushings as it does have quite a lot of slop in it. It shifted on the bench fine. I also adjusted the boot up a bit so today when the kids inevitably bug me for a ride around the pasture I'll do another function check on it.

Last edited:
Sure didn't. You're welcome to come over and donate your time. I hosed it down with degreaser and scrubbed it as best I could. I'm not going to waste too much time on something I didn't' rebuild.
I didn't follow the story from the beginning, sorry.

Looks great and I'm sure you'll get those little niggles sorted.

I run starcross 5 mediums since I ride a mix of terrain, with michelin bib mousses since they are designed to match the tire. If you mostly ride sand they offer a soft and a sand tire in the starcross 5 line aswell

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
:thumb:

All I can say is the cabinets the wife purchased are OUT of the garage.
I need to come south and ride with you sometime.

Day before yesterday I had to reseal the exhaust headers and used some permatex ultra copper this go round. I had 3 leaks per bank with the dry Fel Pro gasket. I went with a differet felpro gasket his time and used the ultra copper and it seems to have fixed my leaks. I also took it into town and got it inspected and road legal which is when I noticed how bad the exhaust leaks were.

Yesterday Now that the CJ5 is into road legal running shape I took the kids out on a loop of some dirt roads. The wife opted out for now lol. They also wanted to go camping and we weren't able to make it up to Oklahoma/Arkansas for the weekend so we took them to the back of the property to go camping for the night. The oldest wanted to drive her Jeep. I'm going to have to add some self tapping screws to it's "tires" for traction purposes. So we putted into the back field in low range 1st gear.

_nc_ohc=hW6KfMbAYe4AX_ms8Z_&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=q5gQswFr6ngAX8Kh_br&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=J9Sk_DcxJucAX_r_3ZB&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=Gix9pW-6amcAX_SJKFz&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

Next on the list is a new fuel level sender, I didn't realize that the old pickup needed a "sock" filter so I can't pull the last 3 to 5 gallons out of the thank and the old sender isn't working right. Not looking forward to dropping the tank. I may put that off till later this week. I've also got most of the parts I need to rebuild the suspension back to a factory format on the way as well.

^^^^^^^ what he said! And you did all that work in really short order too.

Me? I sanded and primed the little Dilly boat trailer fenders today. Slow progress, but steady. Won't be a restoration of it. Rather a nice functional refurbish I still have no idea what I'm going to do with it. lol

Thanks yall :)

Dropped the tank today and got the new sender in. All working now. Until I figure out how accuate it is I'll continue to carry 5 extra gallons with me.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Day before yesterday I had to reseal the exhaust headers and used some permatex ultra copper this go round. I had 3 leaks per bank with the dry Fel Pro gasket. I went with a differet felpro gasket his time and used the ultra copper and it seems to have fixed my leaks. I also took it into town and got it inspected and road legal which is when I noticed how bad the exhaust leaks were.

Interesting, I use to have good luck with the felpro laminate gasket on my race FE's, and Lima fords. I did have to chase the torques on the header flanges for several weekends before they stabilized.

The copper gaskets were just coming out when I got out of racing.

Back