• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

Had trouble the other day with my AT on the way home from College Station. It would only run about 60 mph. Looks like the coating in the fuel tank coming off or welds or what ever. Started stopping up the fuel pump
little filter screen. Hope it didn’t get past it and damage the fuel pump.

01922a8527c4bda8fd9a4ff3e693da85.jpg
5f761a86905b84a2d3b7138649cb4c8d.jpg
d6391ac31251c17560a27eeea12157c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Monday I looked at the weather forecast and that shows about two or three more days of nice weather then our so-called Winter arrives for a while. So I decided I better get the painting done on the little Dilly project while I still can. Shot the fenders and frame a couple times. Now I need to go back and do some little tape/touch-ups, install the fenders and new wire/light harness, replace the tire/wheels and install a nose jack. Then I need to decide what to deck it with. I've got a 4x8 sheet of aluminum which would work fine, but without knowing what the intended purpose is, I might just hold off on a deck?

IMG_2177.JPG

I did the paint touch-ups today and while that was drying swapped out the 2002 date coded galvanized tire/wheel sets for some brand new 2020 date coded Carlisle tires on solid white wheels. Also installed the nose jack wheel. Then I got stuck on what to do next.

IMG_2191-1.JPG

IMG_2192-1.JPG

As mentioned, I have zero idea why I snagged this little Dilly other than I've refurbished a bunch over the past 20 years. They are built like little tanks, beat the Harbor Freight trailers into the ground, are easy to work on/easy to find parts and have a cool tilting bed capability. I've got the wiring/light kit ready to install but was looking at adding the aluminum decking on top and figured the rear lights would be in the way during the deck install. Same for the fenders.
IMG_2195.JPG

Where I'm stuck is how to deck it. I have a 4x8 sheet of 1/8" alum ready to plop on top of the trailer with a little trimming, yet I'm concerned there will be too much flex in the middle. The trailer is 48" wide and it's another 48" from the rear towards the front next frame cross member as noted above. That leaves a 48x48 square unsupported other than the 2" edges. I really don't want to go purchase some C-channel and weld that in place at the moment. Thus my 'stuck' comment. I also have no idea what I'll use this for at the moment which doesn't help matters.

I also have no idea what something like this is worth if I were to sell it. New Timken bearings (inner/outer), new grease seals, new tires/tubes/wheels (4.80x8), new nose wheel, new LED light kit and hand-sanded to smooth the big stuff followed by a couple of rattle can coats. I see a couple on CL for $450. Is that reasonable?

Thoughts appreciated...

would a pressure treated 2x4 (or 4x4) fit in the channel?

IMG_2195.JPG

above may be a little overkill, but depending on what you are hauling, maybe not.
At least the center "H" park above the axle so the center is not completely unsupported.
Cheap, readily available, easily replaceable when it wears out in a decade or so.

Last edited:
would a pressure treated 2x4 (or 4x4) fit in the channel?

View attachment 280131

above may be a little overkill, but depending on what you are hauling, maybe not.
At least the center "H" park above the axle so the center is not completely unsupported.
Cheap, readily available, easily replaceable when it wears out in a decade or so.

Thx for the input...

Well, not in the garage, but at my desk with a broken leg-

I updated the manuscript for my book "Old Bikes" and converted it to .PDF format to offer either digital, hard copy, or both in time for Christmas.

Posted in the "For Sale" section... HERE

By the way, this forum hosts my ride story "Counting Curves"

I learned a long time ago, seafood is WAY cheaper at HEB. :lol2:

When we go wheeling, I take pre cooked/smoked food, wrap it in aluminum foil and put it under the hood of the Jeep. Nice to have a hot lunch out on the trail. As for the shop, I have a grill right outside the door, call me lazy. :bbq:

Keep forgetting to tell you , I went by a Costco liqueur department a couple weeks ago and they had El Charro on the shelf , blanco and repasado in 1.75L . That airplane makes that kowomba look small .

Built a couple fire pits today .

8C067C0B-8651-4A60-82AD-EAC955B379EB.jpeg

Keep forgetting to tell you , I went by a Costco liqueur department a couple weeks ago and they had El Charro on the shelf , blanco and repasado in 1.75L . That airplane makes that kowomba look small .

Built a couple fire pits today .

View attachment 280291

My local liquor pimp still stocks the 750 reposado for $19.

Need to find a couple 22” rims to build a couple more pits myself.

That plane uses a 62cc 2 cycle post hole digger motor so yeah, its a fair size..

Day before yesterday, I got the emblems put back on and got a 12v/usb outlet put in the dash along with a mount for my phone/nav device. Yesterday I pulled the lift shackles off the front and put new stock shackles back on. Then pulled whatever heavy duty springs they had in the back and installed some Crown standard duty rear leaves. I may replace the front leaves in the near future with new just because.

On the XJ I rotated and balanced the tires and changed the fluid in the rear diff.

_nc_ohc=1MNi6P15OGQAX9TRA_w&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=giGS064JjEwAX9SUy6N&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

Hey, I forgot to post this one, and it's actually in my garage!

I broke my leg in a rear-ender on my trike and they fitted me up with a composite cast (2 piece hard plaster with soft lining, and ace bandage wraps), but they left the rear bit extending too far up which caused quite a lot of discomfort every time I'd bend me knee which was severely bruised down the calf and up the thigh.

So, I unwrapped the outer bandages, shoved a rag between the plaster bit and my calf, and took a roto razor (small form circular saw) to the offending bit. Chopped off a good 2 inches, now it's not bad at all.
IMG_7712.JPG

Got the body off the chassis an now to mount the drivetrain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back