• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

Air filter cleaning on the KTM & Sherco

It might be easier to pull the bike apart than to get to the Sherco filter through the small access they provide

This was yesterday, the snow might stay on the ground a couple of days but it's predicted to climb into the low 50s, so not holding out a lot of hope...

IMG_7970.JPG

IMG_7971.JPG

IMG_7968.JPG

20210115_113356.jpg
Waiting on parts, thought it would be a good time to change fork oil&service steering head bearings... Always a great idea when you find fork oil that smells like a TOXIC SPILL and bearings with no grease... Who does that???🤯
Rant Over Carry On

FINALLY got the slab guys back up here to finish out the slab on my hangar/garage/shop extension...

IMG_7989.JPG

Nice sunset yesterday... (still a small patch of snow right in the center, in an all-day shady spot)

IMG_7988.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 283951
Waiting on parts, thought it would be a good time to change fork oil&service steering head bearings... Always a great idea when you find fork oil that smells like a TOXIC SPILL and bearings with no grease... Who does that???🤯
Rant Over Carry On
Ain't a single manufacturer that isn't stingy on grease. For the past 25 years, all my new bikes have been way undergreased.

I'm blaming mandatory reporting and auditing of usage of chemicals and waste for EPA compliance and also for green status. I don't think it was ever a bottom line issue, though using 1 million oz of grease instead of 5 million doesn't hurt at the end of the fiscal year.

We had soils and groundwater tested at places I've worked every quarter. Don't pass? Get shut down and fined.

I see you have the updated tensioner in the primary. :thumb:

Ain't a single manufacturer that isn't stingy on grease. For the past 25 years, all my new bikes have been way undergreased.

I'm blaming mandatory reporting and auditing of usage of chemicals and waste for EPA compliance and also for green status. I don't think it was ever a bottom line issue, though using 1 million oz of grease instead of 5 million doesn't hurt at the end of the fiscal year.

We had soils and groundwater tested at places I've worked every quarter. Don't pass? Get shut down and fined.

I see you have the updated tensioner in the primary. :thumb:
10/4 H D would have had to applied grease to make the stingy mark... Had to have been a PO/back alley hack job...
Had a difficult time loading it for the trip home, have no idea how you could ride it like that...

Opened up a bunch of stuff you don’t normally look at on my KTM950 at around 5 years old , steering head , swing arm , shock linkage . Everything was fine with plenty of nice new clean looking grease in it . I didn’t need to add any but I did . I enjoy working on properly built stuff .

What ultralight is that. I worked making them for a year back in the 80s. Iv always wanted one but never made the move to purchase one.
Quicksilver MX Sprint II (true 3-axis w/ ailerons), 503 Rotax single carb. It is a 2-seater, but I have it set up as a single so no license required.

I, too, worked on them in the early 80s, my B-I-L had a dealership and I helped build 7 of them, as well as test flights and run-in (break-in). Also helped train 4 buyers to fly.

Hadn't been in one since about '84, only taxi'ed this one so far, runways were too rough. They're smoothed now, but it's trapped behind the concrete work.

Quicksilver MX Sprint II (true 3-axis w/ ailerons), 503 Rotax single carb. It is a 2-seater, but I have it set up as a single so no license required.

I, too, worked on them in the early 80s, my B-I-L had a dealership and I helped build 7 of them, as well as test flights and run-in (break-in). Also helped train 4 buyers to fly.

Hadn't been in one since about '84, only taxi'ed this one so far, runways were too rough. They're smoothed now, but it's trapped behind the concrete work.
I worked for Rotec out of Duncanville. Never did more than taxi them and test carbs, mufflers, etc as well as manufacturing and a few assemblys. We sold some two seaters set up to crop dust and several to the Israeli marines.

Wire spoke wheels? ;-)
I have only laced up a couple rims in my life and that was years ago. My first one I put a 21inch maco rim on my Yamaha dt 250 front hub back in 1974 when i was 15. If i remember right i used honda 305 dream spokes.
I dont think mybgrand son will be motorcrossing this one so i dont need the strength. Mags will do. 😜

Back