• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What Happened in Pee Paw's Scooter Shop Today?

OldTLSDoug

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Well, now that all of my scooters are running, I got the Ducati and the 890 out and tried out the new pressure washer and foam cannon. Did a good job. The Multistrada came out sweet. I even washed Donna's Mustang and it looks great. I started with the Mule and enjoyed it so much I did the rest. I guess I will get the Super Duke and SMR done this weekend and of course Mr. Ford F150 hasn't had a bath since we bought her last November or so.

Before the storm and after the foam....

IMG_6502.JPG

IMG_6504.JPG

IMG_6505.JPG

IMG_6506.JPG

IMG_6509.JPG

IMG_6516.JPG

IEEE5545.JPG

The 890 came out really nice, I guess it should since it is brand new with almost 900 miles....

IMG_6514.JPG

IMG_6519.JPG

On our next episode, I have new brake pads for the Ducati. Woo Hoo! Should be fun. For the record I have never washed bikes much, usually I just put them on the lift and wipe them down. I can get used to the pressure washer, just be careful of bearings and stuff. It was pretty easy to achieve great results with very little work, so of course, that is for me. Also, in the future Donna is going to help me organize the shop into something a little more efficient and that should be rather entertaining. Can't wait for it.

Well, I was bored, no good internet stuff, so I went and installed pads on the Ducati. Took about 40 minutes. If I had punted sooner and dropped the rear caliper it would have been faster. But I am a hanger on. On the front. Pull the little clips holding the pins, pull the pins and spring (the little cover on the pads) and slide the pads apart (I have a tool for that, go figure). Install new pads, put in pins and spring, install clips on pins, and you are done on the front.

IMG_6524.JPG

IMG_6525.JPG

IMG_6521.JPG

IMG_6523.JPG

IMG_6526.JPG

The rear seems easy, but the caliper mount blocked one of the pads, so I had to drop it to swap pads, no big deal, just tried to avoid it.

IMG_6528.JPG

IMG_6529.JPG

Well, yesterday I went to a friends shop and we fixed a problem I had with Zonie's wheel on my balancer. My balancer cones weren't square to the base and his wheel wouldn't get straight and we couldn't balance it. I had a big old piece of aluminum and went to a buddy's shop to get it turned into new cones.

Here is a old and new, he also faced the old ones so they are now square to the base and the new ones go almost flush with the balancer shaft, so Zonie's wheel will work now.

cones.jpg

And, just for fun I broke the brake switch for the Ducati front brake somehow so I have to wait for the part to arrive, then we have a 10 minute fix. I noticed while riding my Superduke today that the plastic casing for the clutch and brake lines are cracked, so I think it is time for new ones and a fluid flush, will try to document all that soon. Might as well do the valves, forks and shock on that as well since I have all the stuff. Should be fun. Just got to find my motivation.

P.S. I fixed the issue with the Ducati rear brake, it just needed to be adjusted. Took the play out of the stroke and adjusted where it starts and it is now easy to push it and get full lock if needed. Should improve the Ducati wheelie safety margin, but heck, who needs that?

Curious why you went to buddy's shop? Was your shop not capable or was the lathe operator not capable?
If you carefully read the post you would know, even though I didn't spell it out, that the aluminum bar I had was too big to chuck up in my little lathe, so I went big. My buddy has a big lathe and mill, I think I will sell my little one as I really don't use it and it takes up space....

Those Duc brakes look just like the ones on my LT. No surprise since they are Bimbos as well.

Today zonie came over with a 1958 wheel that needed bearings removed. I whipped out my Pit Possee Bearing remover tool and popped them out in a minute or two. Handy tool for wheel bearings in a wheel with a spacer inside. You put the end through the bearing and hammer the long piece into the slot and it locks up tight. Then beat it with a hammer and out pops Mr. Bearing, nice trick.

IMG_6549.JPG

IMG_6559.JPG

After Zonie left, I decided to go for a spin on the 890 Duke R, but first I had to "De-reflector" it. Hate those things, now all my scooters are "deflectored"

IMG_6557.JPG

IMG_6554.JPG

IMG_6552.JPG

The ride was fun, we did the ton, got hard into the ABS to see how that felt. I am still amazed by the power of the front brakes. This thing is a beast. Set the throttle to sport and it reminds me of the 990 super duke. I rode it yesterday and it still is one of my all time favorite scooters.

No idea what I will do tomorrow besides eat BBQ at Hammonds in Glen Rose around 1100 with all the other old guys I hang with. ROMEO lunch, Retired Old Men Eating Out. We have fun and then I come home and nap. It's all good. LOL.

Oh yeah, here is the before I removed the reflectors, looks much better I think.

IMG_6519.JPG

SOrry I couldn't get out yesterday. Sounds like a great time on the Slacker ride and at the Scooter Temple of Zoom (@LaserDave ).

An exterminator stood me up. So I missed everything except a nap.

So yesterday, my wife (she of recent ankle surgery/rehab) and I decided it was time to cut back the growth on our road to the house. It is about 900 feet of road and is in the shade most days due to the trees and vegetation along the sides. We started at about 9:00AM and began cutting and clearing brush along the road. We used a 12 foot flatbed trailer and piled it about 5 feet high each trip. After working till about 4:00 PM we had successfully cut about 5 trailers full of brush. Hauled it out in the pasture and unloaded it into the burn pile. Road looks much better. Donna and I are a little worse for wear, but came out of it without serious injury. We took breaks when we got hot inside the scooter shop in the ac and drank about a half a case of water. We had purchases a Stihl 11foot chain saw and that really made light work of some of the brush cutting.

Overall, it was a great day of work, lots of sore muscles and my wife got to work in the "yard" for the first time in months. Life is good.

I use Hydralyte but it's expensive and has to be ordered, but working outside pretty much every day for a few months I needed a cheaper and easier to get alternative, and while I don't like stuff from endless store shelves, Gatorade Zero works pretty good. I'll chug a bottle when I feel a sag, and I'm right back in the game. Probably 3 big bottles a day, a gallon on rooibus sun tea and water. No problems.

Off to the garage to finish the rack replacement on the old Beemer. The big wrestling match was done yesterday.

GaryADE
(aka Gatorade)
About 8 cents/bottle

helps to have a fairly accurate scale, preferable with gram scale down to single gram measure
more of a formula, really, but...

makes ~ 20 servings
4 teaspoons per 12 oz water (1 small Gatorade scoop)

Formula. This will give you the same electrolyte ratios/concentrations as gatorade
Table Salt - 8g (Na)
Salt substitute - 2g (K)
Table sugar - 425g (glucose/fructose) reduce if you want less or use artificial sweetener equiv if you dare.
2 packages unsweetened Koolaid (ascorbic acid; tartness)

Keep stored in airtight container in a cool, dry place.

Back to the scooter festivities!

GaryADE
(aka Gatorade)
About 8 cents/bottle

Yeah, gonna formulate my own as well, thanks for the idea that should have come long ago.
There won't be any sugar in mine.
Be baking soda, salt with potassium, and epsom salt for the magnesium which I take as a supplement anyway.
Flavoring and such will be an experiment.

In keeping with the recent "What happened in Pee Paw's Scooter Shop Today?" theme. I worked on the Ducati and got her ready to ride for tomorrow to Hico. Should be fun. I installed the new brake light switch which worked perfectly (brand new, it should) and then I discovered the tail light bulb was burnt, but the brake worked. I had no 1157's so I bought some and put one in. Now she is ready to ride, all cleaned up, looking for a ride. I need to do a decent ride on the new seat to see if she is as good as she seems. Looking forward to the ride in the morning. Woo Hoo!

IMG_6575.JPG

Pee Paw did three rides of 40-60 miles each on three different scooters. Was thinking about one more, but tomorrow will work. Started with the Superduke, then the SMR and wrapped up with the 890 Duke R. Great day for riding.

Peepaw got a short term project from a buddy to fix. 2005 KLR. Thank God they are easy to work on. The carb is gummed up, I will start on the tank On Monday. So far it is all going well, except I need carb parts, ordered them, now we wait. Battery in route as well. So I power washed it to get the mung off and she cleaned up well. Popped out the carb and she has the 22 cent mod and different needle. Main jet is a 150 is that stock? The needle was in the 4th clip from the top, it has a full Big Gun exhaust and a K&N filter which I haven't opened up yet. Hoping all goes well. Main jet and pilot are still in the dip so we shall see if she cleans up ok.

IMG_6593.JPG

IMG_6594.JPG

IMG_6596.JPG

IMG_6595.JPG

IMG_6598.JPG

IMG_6599.JPG

IMG_6601.JPG

Well, more excitement today. The fun never ends at PPSS. Zonie brought over his XS650 and we popped out Mr. Axle in the front. I chose a 2.5 lb sledge and a roll pin punch to do the damage. We got her out, cleaned up the hole and didn't even unload the bike! Well played, good form.

Almost there.

IMG_6630.JPG

Getting there....

IMG_6631.JPG

All better, 5 min and no damage! Can't get better than that.

IMG_6633.JPG

Also, I got all the carb parts cleaned up for the KLR. Just need the carb kit for the o-rings and stuff for the thing. I tossed it in a stainless steel mixing bowl and sent the picture to my buddy Bill and said, "Ready for you to put her together." I don't think he sees it that way! Anyway, a picture just for fun. I also cleaned up the kickstand switch and lubed the cable. Awaiting a choke handle as well as the battery. Thinking about dropping the oil out of it without a filter change to just be nice. We will see.

IMG_6623[1].JPG

Back