• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What Happened in Pee Paw's Scooter Shop Today?

Doug might be interested to know what he'd want for it in disassembled form. :D
I like the way you think Jasen.

Well I picked it up in Irving, seller was meticulous and it shows. Bike had 2096 miles on her. Now she has about 2160 or so. Had a nice ride. She handles like a Duke. You can really jam her in corners, even at ludicrous speed and she says, "Thank you sir, may I have another?" Comfortable, fun, this one is COMPLETELY STOCK! So I can play if I'd like, but I don't find myself wanting anything. This may be close to the perfect motorcycle for PPSS. Diana likes it because she is a mini-me for her SDR. Did I mention it has orange wheels? She has a face only Doug could love and I do love it so far. Did I mention she wheelies? Oh yes, there were wheelies.

IMG_4302.JPG

I am telling you sir, these 690 Dukes may be about the perfect bike for running around our Farm and Ranch Roads. Suspension seems to soak it up well and they handle like a bike on rails. Plus the odd wheelie and stoppie is available on demand. I cannot say enough about these. I like it way better than I did my 890 Duke R...

Plus the odd wheelie and stoppie is available on demand.
Wheelies - yes, all the time.

Stoppies - NO THANK YOU. Too many "hold my beer and watch this" videos of stoppies gone bad.
and besides "Dirty" Harry Callaghan said it best - "A man's got to know his limitations" I know mine.

I did an emergency stoppie once. A buzzard suddenly zoomed down from over a thick tree line, right at my head. It was so quick, that I squeezed my non abs front brake lever VERY HARD, with all my strength. The rear end of my bike came up about 45 degrees and miraculously came down square when I let go.. I had to stop for a few minutes and let my chest stop thumping. Doug may have been born to do stoppies. I survived that one. Hopefully, never again.

I tried them for a bit. I was always one of the first to get to work and the parking lot would be empty. I'd pull one on the way in each morning. Took a whole lot more braking force than I'd imagined. Hit some loose sand in the parking lot one day and got a nice front end slide. Didn't crash but that was the end of my stoppie training.

I did an emergency stoppie once. A buzzard suddenly zoomed down from over a thick tree line, right at my head. It was so quick, that I squeezed my non abs front brake lever VERY HARD, with all my strength. The rear end of my bike came up about 45 degrees and miraculously came down square when I let go.. I had to stop for a few minutes and let my chest stop thumping. Doug may have been born to do stoppies. I survived that one. Hopefully, never again.
Hey man, how you doing? Long time no see, sir.

I just got in from putting LiFe batteries in the 1290 Super Duke EVO and the Vitpilen, so we should be good to go for a while. Still waiting on the front sprocket washer for the 2017 690 Duke and I ordered some Farkles for the 2018 690 Duke. Getting weird up in Pee Paw's Scooter Shop. Had to work today, but I made it through, off until Monday. Zonie will be by tomorrow and the GasGas 300TXT Racing will go to her new home. Pretty pumped up. So, still managing to do motorcycle stuff and have fun while working...

Sometimes I just look at Super Duke R's and smile....

IMG_2878.jpg

Well, Mr. Gas Gas is on his way to a new home, we started her up and rode her for the last time and loaded her, and waived goodbye.

IMG_4308(1).JPG

IMG_4309(1).JPG

IMG_4310(1).JPG

I had a couple of extra 690 Duke pics, just posting them here for you.

IMG_4303(1).JPG

IMG_4304(1).JPG

IMG_4305(1).JPG

And, speaking of 690 Dukes, the 2017, yes I have 2, has a leak at the fuel pump, I am hoping against hope it is the gasket and not the tank, but we will see soon. Right now she is drained and removed. I am in the process of putting the stock exhaust on her and removing the power commander so I can enjoy the bike. Now all I need to do is to get Chip and Company at Munn Racing to figure out how to put the track pack on the new one.

P.S. That was also the first time the GasGas ever got wet as well. I did get her to start up 3 times today with less than 10 kicks, must have been the gas I mixed up...LOL.

Today, I did the tear down and investigation on the 2017 690 Duke fuel tank. The good news is the components are all good, just the tank is poo. Unfortunate for me, but that is the way it is. Every opening, gas cap/filler opening, fuel tank level opening and the fuel pump opening are all warped. There was minor leakage on the top, but the bottom was oozing fuel. Gasket was good, took the pump apart, there was a small amount of crud in there, but the filter was clean and the sump collected the debris. So, I will go talk to KTM and see if there is a possibility of a recall helping me out, or I will have to buy the complete tank for $714.00. This sure makes the latest purchase a much better bargain than the "cheap" one.

IMG_4312(1).JPG

IMG_4314(1).JPG

IMG_4315(1).JPG

IMG_4316(1).JPG

IMG_4317(1).JPG

IMG_4318.JPG

IMG_4319(1).JPG

IMG_4320(1).JPG

IMG_4321(1).JPG

So, I figure I will be buying a tank, since they probably won't warranty a 7 year old tank, but a fella can hope. So, that done, I took the Power Parts seat off of the 2017 and put it on the 2018 and took a ride. WOW! WOW! WOW! what a difference a seat makes. The seat made the thing feel plush and I did 60 miles without any discomfort. The stock seat was bad at about 25 miles. So, I will order one for the 2018 and it is a complete bike, except I need to get the track pack stuff put on her, we shall see.

Took a picture when I stopped for the "pit stop" on the square in Glen Rose. For those of you passing through, there is indeed a public restroom on the square in Glen Rose. I will stand by my claim that this is just about the perfect motorcycle for all occaisions. I topped her out around 115 mph today, not bad

IMG_4325.jpg

P.S. That was also the first time the GasGas ever got wet as well. I did get her to start up 3 times today with less than 10 kicks, must have been the gas I mixed up...LOL.
The GasGas got soaked on the return journey - four hours in driving rain. But that might have helped with the starting bad attitude ... I've been able to start it after 3 kicks, hot or cold.

I think the secret is a few sweet words in Spanish followed by three very fast kicks with my tongue firmly placed over my left eye tooth. Failing that, I'll resort to threats of another four rainy hours in the back of truck.

Thanks for time, the tour of your awesome scooters, and all the good insights, Doug.

Back