• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What Happened in Pee Paw's Scooter Shop Today?

So, a little bit of fun has gone on in the scooter shop. I am still fighting tools and think there may be a few too many in here. I have gotten the sockets reasonable organized and only lack a couple, but I don't really need them. I think I have 8-10 sets of allen wrenches, plus sets of T-handles. I gave Donna a toolbox and she filled it up with a nice selection of tools and is organizing the backroom storage shelves. Lucky she likes doing that stuff. Here is my socket drawer to give you a picture of my disease...

toolbox3.JPG

Also, I got my Pit Bull Hybrid single sided swing arm stand for the 2022 KTM 1290 Super Duke R Evo with 2 pins so I can dream a little more. Also, I have an adapter wiring loom to allow me to install the Full Akrapovic exhaust on the thing and allow use of the turn signals. But the stand has 2 pins and you can flip the handle and raise the bike from either side. Beautiful piece of work.

IMG-7764.JPG

IMG-7765.JPG

IMG-7766.JPG

Finally we arrive at the "Return of Old Blue, the 2001 DR-Z400S that I used to own. She made it to the shop a little worse for wear, the temp switch for the fan failed, so he installed a switch....

Switch.jpg

It worked well, just a little ugly. Switch is ordered $82.00 plus shipping, She only travelled about 300 miles since I last had her, but she has had a hard 300 miles. The speedometer wire appears to be damaged and the pick up doesn't work. He did install a new coolant reservoir as the old one cracked. I have the carb out since she didn't run well and it seems there are lots of reasons, I won't list them but we have all been there. Carb is cleaned, I ordered a rebuild kit, plus the diaphragm for the coasting enricher, I lost the washer and o-ring for the air screw, so we are pretty much dead in the water until I get parts. Also the high quality ebay signal lights are disintegrating after only 2 yrs. Overall though, she is a gem. Full Yoshimura RS-3, JD Jet kit, 3X3 mod, new chain and sprockets, Trail Tech Vapor speedo/tach, new tires, big tank, on which the e-model petcock has finally perished, Seat Concepts seat, Cycra handguards and I rewired it to eliminate all the relays. So after she is fixed you may see her on a ride or two this spring. Love the bike, looking forward to playing with her.

Arrived.JPG

Doesn't look too bad. Just patiently waiting for the fat elf in the shop to fix her up.

IMG-7772.JPG

Honestly easy carb removal if you just take the top bolt out of the subframe and swing her away. Kind of dirty in there, it is 21 yrs old or so.

IMG-7773.JPG

I believe that is engine ice, I will be draining and flushing that stuff out when I change the temperature sensor and at some point I plan to actually wash her. She is a bit messy, I need to save the chain a bit, I guess if it is bad I will have to take it off and give it back to Mitch since he loves them gold chains. Of course, I sold all my DR-Z spares with my SM a year or two ago, so I am building them up. Woo Hoo. Probably has a leak in the hose to the overflow tank, we shall see.

I have an adapter wiring loom to allow me to install the Full Akrapovic exhaust on the thing and allow use of the turn signals.
The turn signals are somehow connected to the exhaust?

Hey, what do you use (if you use one) for fluid in an ultrasonic cleaner? I got some stuff for carbs coming as I don't see just distilled water working on these gunk monsters, but can you use cleaning strength vinegar or other things?
A friend working on vintage plane parts swears by using MEK with the machine set far from the house, but I dunno about that.

I use 50/50 pinesol and distilled water for carb cleaning. I run it about three cycles on the hottest setting max time. I then rinse with distilled water and blow dry with compressed air.

I use 50/50 pinesol and distilled water for carb cleaning. I run it about three cycles on the hottest setting max time. I then rinse with distilled water and blow dry with compressed air.

I used Pine Sol long ago but then the carbs sat too long as I had to leave town suddenly.

A friend working on vintage plane parts swears by using MEK with the machine set far from the house, but I dunno about that.

I would set it way away from anything you want to keep. Back in 1973 you should have seen the fireball from an MEK explosion at NAS NOLA. And it was only about 12 gallons (2 cases of gallons) sitting out in the sun.

I would set it way away from anything you want to keep. Back in 1973 you should have seen the fireball from an MEK explosion at NAS NOLA. And it was only about 12 gallons (2 cases of gallons) sitting out in the sun.

I watched a paint factory burn from about a mile away and up on a hill. 55 gallon drums of toluol and such looked like failed SpaceX launches.

I have half a gallon of simple green, so that wins for now.

Sorry to hear that you are having to repeat that. My son tested positive today also.

I watched a paint factory burn from about a mile away and up on a hill. 55 gallon drums of toluol and such looked like failed SpaceX launches.

I have half a gallon of simple green, so that wins for now.
Wow, glad you knew better, talking about MEK. That stuff practically boils at sea level 😳. Sure wouldn't want to heat that stuff.

Wow, glad you knew better, talking about MEK. That stuff practically boils at sea level 😳. Sure wouldn't want to heat that stuff.

And back in the day in Iowa, there was an old boy that re-coned speakers and was general old school electronic genius.
He used MEK in his basement to clean the basket frames of the speakers, talked in a falsetto and was just batpoop goofy.

Hope you feel better Doug. I either have a moderate head cold or a mild case of omicrud.

How's the poohflu treating you this go around? I hope for a speedy recovery.

Well yesterday, I would have told you it was a little worse than last time, today I will tell you I am feeling much better. I was pretty sick Friday, today most of the bad symptoms seem to have lessened and I am just tired. Hoping I am mostly done with it tomorrow.

Well yesterday, I would have told you it was a little worse than last time, today I will tell you I am feeling much better. I was pretty sick Friday, today most of the bad symptoms seem to have lessened and I am just tired. Hoping I am mostly done with it tomorrow.
That's good news. According to some sources, the new variant is supposed to be more contagious but much milder. Hopefully you'll be improving and over it in the next few days.

Back