• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What Happened in Pee Paw's Scooter Shop Today?

Just curious can't you just get an o-ring assortment kit and match it up?
Like all things I am pretty sure I can do that, but I would like to get the right one, and there is no reference. I may end up with an o-ring kit to fit it but hopefully it is over at this point, we shall see.

So, I got up and ran to Gordon with the KLR and delivered it to the owner. He is pretty happy she is a runner again. I got to stop and adjust the straps when I hit a particularly heinous bump about a mile from the house that turned the front wheel. A little tightening and all was good. Rode the whole way without issue.

Going home.jpg

I just got back from a 40 odd mile rip on the 990 SMT. Man, I love this bike, when I get the stock throttle in it will be perfect. I installed the stock screen and it is much better to ride. Still lots of wind noise but that is my helmet, easily fixed with ear plugs. I banged down 10 or so wheelies as hard as I could and did a lot of hard braking, even some stoppies, hit all the wicked bumps I could and there is nary a leak on the compression adjusters. Not sure what happened here, but I will take it. I was checking to see how bad it really is and apparently not very. So, I am all set for the ride to Thurber tomorrow! Woo Hoo! KSU at 0830 in Bluffdale! Living large at PPSS. I also gave a VIP tour to a couple of old work buddies who came to the weekly BBQ lunch in Glen Rose. All in all I have had a great day, life is wonderful, thank you God!

unnamed.jpg

Question
how do the SMR and the SMT compare?
I loved how the SMR was unfiltered untethered, you twisted the throttle and it’s all the power all the time.
How does the SMThave any issues because of it it’s electronic nannies?
The electronic nannies were the reason why I just could not bring myself to purchasing the brand new Super Duke.
To me it felt like I was running a sore bubble which was number of feeling or feedback

Well, the SMT in 2010 only had a rev limiter just like the Super Duke. So they run the same. The bike handles like the SMR, you just sit a little more in it (comfortably I might add) and all the rip and handling is still there. It has at least another gallon of gas. I think the 2010 SMR would be the other unicorn to obtain.

Of course, the 890 Duke R has all the nannies and they are adjustable, and they are great. You can really push on it and have lots of margin. I need to play with it on the track before I am too fat to do it.

Speaking of nannies, while I was talking to Mitch on the phone I swapped the throttle tube (fun handle) from the 990 SD to the SMT. The throttle on the SMT was almost a half turn to full throttle. Stock SD throttle is very short at just under a quarter turn. So the bike has felt as if it is in rain mode or mired in molasses. Lots of folks buy these fast revving V-Twins and are scared by the abrupt throttle response and therefore there is an aftermarket that sells these longer profile throttle tubes. I have two of them now and I usually throw them away as they really hurt the feel of the scooter. So tomorrow. I will be riding the SMT in all it's unfettered glory, so we shall see if she wheelies better or becomes "flippy", YMMV

Top is a stock Super Duke 990 Throttle tube, bottom tube is what was on the SMT. Second picture shows a close up of how modified it really is. Looks like the Super Duke tube is a constant radius and the one on the bottom comes on about half way to the stop.

IMG_6733.JPG

IMG_6735.JPG

Speaking of nannies, while I was talking to Mitch on the phone I swapped the throttle tube (fun handle) from the 990 SD to the SMT. The throttle on the SMT was almost a half turn to full throttle. Stock SD throttle is very short at just under a quarter turn. So the bike has felt as if it is in rain mode or mired in molasses. Lots of folks buy these fast revving V-Twins and are scared by the abrupt throttle response and therefore there is an aftermarket that sells these longer profile throttle tubes. I have two of them now and I usually throw them away as they really hurt the feel of the scooter. So tomorrow. I will be riding the SMT in all it's unfettered glory, so we shall see if she wheelies better or becomes "flippy", YMMV

Top is a stock Super Duke 990 Throttle tube, bottom tube is what was on the SMT. Second picture shows a close up of how modified it really is. Looks like the Super Duke tube is a constant radius and the one on the bottom comes on about half way to the stop.

View attachment 300417

Interpolation?

Where the heck did I put the 4mm T-handle?
I just had it in my hand ....

While I was talking to Mitch I lost the 4mm socket and half of the Super Duke throttle housing. I think I entertained him for 10 minutes looking for it. I had put it right next to where I was working. Who would do that? LOL.

While I was talking to Mitch I lost the 4mm socket and half of the Super Duke throttle housing. I think I entertained him for 10 minutes looking for it. I had put it right next to where I was working. Who would do that? LOL.

I would and have done it.

combine that with going to Lowes/Home Depot/HF to get a "thing", getting back and storing the leftovers in the spot where you bought the same thing before.

combine that with going to Lowes/Home Depot/HF to get a "thing", getting back and storing the leftovers in the spot where you bought the same thing before.

I put a time limit on looking for a "thing" before I go get a new one, ensuring that the old misplaced one will immediately turn up.
And always in a Homer Simpson DOH! spot. Take the new one right back. Works every time.

The crazy thing is that the tool or thing is always exactly where you put it.

I might have spent two days looking for my jacket liners this week. They might have been hung up in the closet where I always hang them that I already checked three times.

So, I was considering selling my SMR recently because "the seat", well, I found one that should fix me up, and there is about an 8 week delay. So that is one issue resolved. I also ordered the KTM comfort seat (3 week delay) for the SMT. So I should have 5 comfy street bikes at the end of the day. Also I fiddled with the left side bag on the SMT and the mount is bent. I worked on it a bit, the bag fits pretty good and the latch works. However, the trade-off was now it is not "so bent", but it now is also cracked. I guess I will order one of them brackets up and leave the big "crescent hammer" in the tool box.

I am told the new fun handle should be in for the SMT and tomorrow my Rotwieller box of happiness arrives and we will have lots of fun things to do to Mr. SMT. Looking forward to it all.

Rottweiler is way better than a dog. New intake and get rid of the SAI and cannister and stuff. Woo Hoo!

IMG_4415.JPG

Back