• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What is the most exotic bike you have ever ridden?

The 79 CBX I bought used in 1980 when I was working at Honda of Lubbock. In it's day, every, and I mean every, head turned.

'59 or '60 Excelsior 250

Yamaha 80 with a "Git Kit". Stupid thing high-sided me!

'58 Cushman Road King. A truly terrifying machine. Would go about 60 mph and had only rear brake.

I had a customer trade in (2) '06 MV Agusta F4 Senna editions. I wheelied one pretty hard, but the ride is so brutal that 10 miles was enough. Besides, who wants to sit on red suede all day? Exotic?...yes, would I ever own one?...NO.

Lets see GPz750 Turbo, Suzuki RE5, almost bought it,,, 500H/P boss hoss fun in a straight line,, But the bike that made the back of my hair stand up.... was
In 1969 I just turned 12 i RODE MY COUSINS Kawasaki 500 Mach III, White with a blue streak,,,, Bad to the bone for the day,,, And I have never been as scared on a bike as that day,,, I can still hear the sound of it..............
Mike

I hate getting old, after reading your guys stuff I remembered two rides on OEM TURBO bikes. One belonged to a buddy which was a 1981 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo (had a lot of lag that is all I remember) and one was a 1985 ZX750
Turbo Kawasaki that was "crazy fast". I worked for KMC at the time and the bet with the reps was you could not watch the speedo and tell the speed
when the boost "hit" on the guage. By that time you saw the boost on the guage you were accelerating so hard you were just trying to "hold on" let alone look at the speedo. Great ride but who knows about the handling. You were to busy trying to control the "hit" to throw it into the corner and see what it did there. The factory TURBO bikes were just nuts, a real 80's thing.

Late to the game, but here are my contributions.

Bikes I've owned:
2008 Ducati 1098s
1C.jpg

2007 MV Agusta F4 312R Corse (1 of only 300 in the world)
2007 F4 Corse - 1EE.jpg

Bike I've Ridden:
2009 Ducati 1098r Bayliss (1 of only 500 in the world)
Bayliss - 1LL.jpg

2008 Ducati Desmosedici D16RR (1 of 1500 in the world)

Bikes I've seen:
2009 MV Agusta F4 312RR 1078 Batman Bike (1 of only 2 in the world)
Batman - 1A.jpg

Bike I want to ride:
MotoCzysz C1
C1 - 1C.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last weekend, my local Suzuki/Honda dealer, who is now going to be selling Triumphs; had a demo ride last weekend. I rode the 2010 Scramblet and the Tiger 1050.

focus frenzy

hmmm I guess it qualifies from the rare and historic point.
I owned and road a honda MB-5, Hondas first two stroke street bike, first perimiter frame. only sold them here one year and they can be very hard to find.

1982MB5honda.jpg

my current ride is a Japanese ducatti monster. the naked Suzuki SV1000N Suzuki only sold them here one year, and while I have seen a couple, I don't see myself coming and going. they didn't send very many over here.

Maybe not exotic but rare none the less:

1965 (I think) Ducati Diana Mark III in road race trim. Made a few laps at Green Valley Raceway. Fun bike to ride and pretty fast for a 250.

196? Yamaha TD1B road race bike. Made two laps at Green Valley.

This was way back in the 60's and I'll never forget it. I was out there with one of my friends that knew the track manager and there was no one else around, so he let us play around a little. All I can remember is that the power band on the Yammie was so narrow it was near impossible to ride, that is why I only made two laps. I was afraid of the darn thing.

Wayne

I owned a 100% original (except for tires) 1979 CBX 1000
full throttle in top gear near red line was not for amateurs.
My neighbor has a MV Augusta carbon fiber F4 Tamborinne.
I would never ask him to test drive his $65K masterpiece!!

Victory Vision
Wow..if that's true, then I am doing this one on my daily commute today...

Anyway, I owned an '82 Honda CBX, that was kind of interesting. Wish that they hadn't tuned down that engine from '79, but it had guts. Ate thru batteries to get it started though.

R

Red Brown

Rode a Velosolex...does that count? Does anybody even know what it is?

SEYA

RB

My '03 Ducati 620 Sport. Per Ducati, there were 796 produced, but only 142 imported to the US. None of the local dealers here have seen one other than mine, and the only ones I have found elsewhere (via Ebay and CL) have all been on the East coast, mainly New England area and Florida.

Honda CB400F. Not exotic by most standards, but it's the most exotic bike I've ridden. I wish I still had it.

I had two of them and have wonderful memories!!
A 1976 1/2, Red with Med. level bars and Black
side covers with 4 into one Kerker exhaust.
A 1977, Yellow, with high bars and forward pegs
and black "locking fuel cap". A four cylinder bike
that reved to 10,500 RPM w/ 6 speeds in 1976!!
Yes, it felt very exotic after twins that vibrated.

I had two of them and have wonderful memories!!
A 1976 1/2, Red with Med. level bars and Black
side covers with 4 into one Kerker exhaust.
A 1977, Yellow, with high bars and forward pegs
and black "locking fuel cap". A four cylinder bike
that reved to 10,500 RPM w/ 6 speeds in 1976!!
Yes, it felt very exotic after twins that vibrated.
It was a wonderful bike, and my first. Mine was a '75, red, completely stock and a whole lot of fun. I sold it to my cousin because I just couldn't ride enough, and he eventually sold it for the same reason. We both kick ourselves regularly over that.

With my knees I couldn't possibly ride one for more than 5 minutes now, but the heart knows nothing of that.

I would have to say this

2005_Aprilia_RSV_1000_R.jpg

Power of a 1000 and the weight of a 650. The one I rode didn't have the pimp Ohlins gear though :(

The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah
I've still got a XR100 with a Frank Nye 150cc stroker motor, flat slide carb, Lindemann race suspension using a Works rear shock, 16s front and rear, set up for flat track racing in Mad Dawg class. That's kinda exotic. Might not rank with my 125 and 250cc two stroke GP bikes, but not everyone has one. :rofl:

Back in high school a buddy of mine sold a perfectly good '82 CR250, turned around and bought this Piece Of #$%&. '85 Maico 250....(stock photo) Maybe not "exotic" to some folks but it was the most exotic thing I ever rode. If I remember right it had a Bing carb. Squirrelly, every thing about it rode weird, hard to start, kick start on the left side, sprockets on the right, expensive parts! It was fast though. Raced it 3 times before he broke the frame.:rofl:
He just had to have it that thing!!:suicide:

maico-250-gme.jpg

I guess I would have to say a super duke. Buddy in Florida had one and I got to ride it around - crazy fun bike. Would love to ride an exotic v4 bike someday - rsv4 or desmosedici would be awesome.

The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah
Back in high school a buddy of mine sold a perfectly good '82 CR250, turned around and bought this Piece Of #$%&. '85 Maico 250....(stock photo) Maybe not "exotic" to some folks but it was the most exotic thing I ever rode. If I remember right it had a Bing carb. Squirrelly, every thing about it rode weird, hard to start, kick start on the left side, sprockets on the right, expensive parts! It was fast though. Raced it 3 times before he broke the frame.:rofl:
He just had to have it that thing!!:suicide:

maico-250-gme.jpg
Yeah, it hasn't been wise to challenge the Japanese bikes in MX on a Euro bike in 40 years. :lol2:

Yeah, I'll tip my hat to KTM, they've come a long way. Solid bikes.... but for the $$$$? nah:shame: Passing 'em at the Sam on my beat up '94 KDX never gets old!!:lol2:
Poetic justice!:nana:
I keep hearing people bring up the price difference, but it's really not that much different, usually just a couple hundred dollars as far as MSRP for like bikes. The fact that the KTM does come with Brembo brakes, braided stainless steel brake lines, adjustable steering head angle, adjustable bar clamp position(forward and aft), oversize bars etc. as standard, then the price becomes a wash if you ask me. From what I've seen, you can negotiate similar deals OTD for any of the big 4 and KTM. Performance and reliability seem to be pretty much on par amongst all of the brands these days too. The only thing that matters is finding the bike that fits and suits you when buying. I will say though, that my KTM seems to be better laid out in terms of ease of maintenance than any of the jap bikes that I've worked on.....especially air filter access.

That said....when I get in any particularly tight/slow sections in the TORN races, I really miss my old KDX200. ;-)

Last edited:
I just remembered another I've ridden but haven't seen or heard much more about, the Husky 360 Auto. I believe that they were fought with problems so Husky dropped the design. They later came out with the 430 but don't know much about it either.

Friend of mine had the 360 and let me do some dirt on it back during a vist home in the mid 70s.

It was kind of scary having it shift up while on the pipe.

Tried to locate a picture of one to post but only found on on Webshots and I' not going to join just to get it.

Anybody remember that bike?

I just remembered another I've ridden but haven't seen or heard much more about, the Husky 360 Auto. I believe that they were fought with problems so Husky dropped the design. They later came out with the 430 but don't know much about it either.

Friend of mine had the 360 and let me do some dirt on it back during a vist home in the mid 70s.

It was kind of scary having it shift up while on the pipe.

Tried to locate a picture of one to post but only found on on Webshots and I' not going to join just to get it.

Anybody remember that bike?
Yes, I do remember those bikes. I doubt I ever saw one in person but I remember reading articles about them and scratching my head saying "automatic dirt bike?":scratch:

76auto.gif

Dang, I think you'd look cute racing a "road toad". :rofl: It's my all time favorite name for a motorcycle.
Jack, at our age/physical condition neither of us would look "cute" no matter what we rode. Too many trips to the $4.95 all you can eat pizza place in Brookshire.:trust::mrgreen:

Hodaka had several neat names: Super Rat, Road Toad, Ace, Wombat, Combat Wombat, Dirt Squirt, and Thunder Hog and a couple more that I can't remember.