• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What is the most exotic bike you have ever ridden?

Aprillia Millie R, Not exactly rare, but it was schweet! :drool:

Thanks to Mark (igo-wfo)

My '03 Ducati 620 Sport. Per Ducati, there were 796 produced, but only 142 imported to the US. None of the local dealers here have seen one other than mine, and the only ones I have found elsewhere (via Ebay and CL) have all been on the East coast, mainly New England area and Florida.

Honda CB400F. Not exotic by most standards, but it's the most exotic bike I've ridden. I wish I still had it.

I had two of them and have wonderful memories!!
A 1976 1/2, Red with Med. level bars and Black
side covers with 4 into one Kerker exhaust.
A 1977, Yellow, with high bars and forward pegs
and black "locking fuel cap". A four cylinder bike
that reved to 10,500 RPM w/ 6 speeds in 1976!!
Yes, it felt very exotic after twins that vibrated.

I had two of them and have wonderful memories!!
A 1976 1/2, Red with Med. level bars and Black
side covers with 4 into one Kerker exhaust.
A 1977, Yellow, with high bars and forward pegs
and black "locking fuel cap". A four cylinder bike
that reved to 10,500 RPM w/ 6 speeds in 1976!!
Yes, it felt very exotic after twins that vibrated.

It was a wonderful bike, and my first. Mine was a '75, red, completely stock and a whole lot of fun. I sold it to my cousin because I just couldn't ride enough, and he eventually sold it for the same reason. We both kick ourselves regularly over that.

With my knees I couldn't possibly ride one for more than 5 minutes now, but the heart knows nothing of that.

Check this out. I had an Alstate Compact, my first "motorcycle"....

http://www.reproductiondecals.com/images/brochures/sears_allstate_broc.jpg

And, here's the road toad. I shoulda bought one of those just for the decal on the air cleaner. :mrgreen:

636564_5f35623b-7c88-4e17-a5ca-150d7ec684f4.jpg

I would have to say this

2005_Aprilia_RSV_1000_R.jpg

Power of a 1000 and the weight of a 650. The one I rode didn't have the pimp Ohlins gear though :(

I've still got a XR100 with a Frank Nye 150cc stroker motor, flat slide carb, Lindemann race suspension using a Works rear shock, 16s front and rear, set up for flat track racing in Mad Dawg class. That's kinda exotic. Might not rank with my 125 and 250cc two stroke GP bikes, but not everyone has one. :rofl:

Back in high school a buddy of mine sold a perfectly good '82 CR250, turned around and bought this Piece Of #$%&. '85 Maico 250....(stock photo) Maybe not "exotic" to some folks but it was the most exotic thing I ever rode. If I remember right it had a Bing carb. Squirrelly, every thing about it rode weird, hard to start, kick start on the left side, sprockets on the right, expensive parts! It was fast though. Raced it 3 times before he broke the frame.:rofl:
He just had to have it that thing!!:suicide:

maico-250-gme.jpg

I guess I would have to say a super duke. Buddy in Florida had one and I got to ride it around - crazy fun bike. Would love to ride an exotic v4 bike someday - rsv4 or desmosedici would be awesome.

Back in high school a buddy of mine sold a perfectly good '82 CR250, turned around and bought this Piece Of #$%&. '85 Maico 250....(stock photo) Maybe not "exotic" to some folks but it was the most exotic thing I ever rode. If I remember right it had a Bing carb. Squirrelly, every thing about it rode weird, hard to start, kick start on the left side, sprockets on the right, expensive parts! It was fast though. Raced it 3 times before he broke the frame.:rofl:
He just had to have it that thing!!:suicide:

maico-250-gme.jpg

Yeah, it hasn't been wise to challenge the Japanese bikes in MX on a Euro bike in 40 years. :lol2:

These are the most exotic bikes I've owned.

changes007.jpg

Technically, the Ducati was my wife's bike.
_DSC0012.jpg

HPIM1295.jpg

Yeah, I'll tip my hat to KTM, they've come a long way. Solid bikes.... but for the $$$$? nah:shame: Passing 'em at the Sam on my beat up '94 KDX never gets old!!:lol2:
Poetic justice!:nana:

I keep hearing people bring up the price difference, but it's really not that much different, usually just a couple hundred dollars as far as MSRP for like bikes. The fact that the KTM does come with Brembo brakes, braided stainless steel brake lines, adjustable steering head angle, adjustable bar clamp position(forward and aft), oversize bars etc. as standard, then the price becomes a wash if you ask me. From what I've seen, you can negotiate similar deals OTD for any of the big 4 and KTM. Performance and reliability seem to be pretty much on par amongst all of the brands these days too. The only thing that matters is finding the bike that fits and suits you when buying. I will say though, that my KTM seems to be better laid out in terms of ease of maintenance than any of the jap bikes that I've worked on.....especially air filter access.

That said....when I get in any particularly tight/slow sections in the TORN races, I really miss my old KDX200. ;-)

Last edited:
I just remembered another I've ridden but haven't seen or heard much more about, the Husky 360 Auto. I believe that they were fought with problems so Husky dropped the design. They later came out with the 430 but don't know much about it either.

Friend of mine had the 360 and let me do some dirt on it back during a vist home in the mid 70s.

It was kind of scary having it shift up while on the pipe.

Tried to locate a picture of one to post but only found on on Webshots and I' not going to join just to get it.

Anybody remember that bike?

I just remembered another I've ridden but haven't seen or heard much more about, the Husky 360 Auto. I believe that they were fought with problems so Husky dropped the design. They later came out with the 430 but don't know much about it either.

Friend of mine had the 360 and let me do some dirt on it back during a vist home in the mid 70s.

It was kind of scary having it shift up while on the pipe.

Tried to locate a picture of one to post but only found on on Webshots and I' not going to join just to get it.

Anybody remember that bike?
Yes, I do remember those bikes. I doubt I ever saw one in person but I remember reading articles about them and scratching my head saying "automatic dirt bike?":scratch:

76auto.gif

Always wanted a "super Duke"
especially an "R"....

It was a lot of fun......maybe a little too much fun judging from the number of road side interviews I got from gun-toting folks with the rolling lights on their cars.

Dang, I think you'd look cute racing a "road toad". :rofl: It's my all time favorite name for a motorcycle.

Jack, at our age/physical condition neither of us would look "cute" no matter what we rode. Too many trips to the $4.95 all you can eat pizza place in Brookshire.:trust::mrgreen:

Hodaka had several neat names: Super Rat, Road Toad, Ace, Wombat, Combat Wombat, Dirt Squirt, and Thunder Hog and a couple more that I can't remember.

Back