• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What is Your Favorite Road to Ride in Texas and Why?

Reaction score
I know this is a tough one for most of us but let's give it a shot.

My favorite road is PR 37 that stretches from Bandera Rd in San Antonio and takes you to Medina Lake via FM 1283. Why? Scenic views and lots of turns and elevation changes. Park Road 37 is only 9.5 miles (from Bandera Rd to FM 1283) but it is one heck of ride. If I only had one last ride before I hang up my helmet and gloves, that would be it.

So how about you guys?

Reactions: Hmm
My favorite ride has to be heading south out of Fort Davis on 17, west on 166 around to 118. Then head back east past McDonald Observatory back to Fort Davis. It's got more corners than you can shake a stick at.

Last edited:
I'm new to it, but my faves so far are:

River Road in New Braunfels (although its more enjoyable for me on a bicycle)
Hwy 39 South of Hunt
Hwy 16 from Kerrville to Medina
187/337 from Lost Maples to Leakey

Pretty much any road with decent green scenery and a curve or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to pick a single stand out road in Texas, or even just a few...

If I am the only one on them when I ride them, then obviously 335, 336, and 337 are great paved roads, as is 39 South of Hunt. However, I rarely ride those roads anymore because when I can ride them, they are just so crowded that it isn't any fun.

FM 2631, Bullhead Rd., and FM 3235 cut between FM 335 and 336. I've not been out there in years, but the last time I did them, they were pretty fun.

FM 1341 between Kerrville and Comfort is a fun paved road, with lots of fast elevation changes and good curves, kind of like a roller coaster.

Hwy 55 North of Campwood and heading toward Rocksprings is fun until it gets to the top of a plateau and straightens out. It has FAST sweepers that are great, but to make them fun you have to run speeds that will get expensive if you get popped, and it is often well patrolled.

FM 674 between Rocksprings and Brackettville is fun.

FM 189 South of Sonora down to Hwy 163 is fun.

Just south of the 189/163 intersection is Juno Road. It crosses the Devil's River. It starts with the water crossing and is unpaved all the way over to FM 1024. 1024 is fun over to Pandale, where you can stop at Camp Easy, cross the Pecos, and run down Pandale/Langtry roads to Langtry at US 90. Or, after crossing the river, you can run Fielder Draw Rd., over to Pumpville Rd., and then turn South. What makes these dirt roads fun is the big erosion berms that cross them. They are like GIANT speed bumps for cars/trucks, but more like ramps for bikes! Just watch for deer. I hit and killed one out there...

I have more, but I have to get to work at my real job :-P

I think Pinto canyon is my all time texas fav otherwise pretty much any road that leads me out of Texas , that last 10 miles till I’m in another state always puts a grin on my face , looking at this list 190 is the only one I’ve missed but have been on 170 from end to end and exceeded the speed limit pretty much every place except thru the towns .

FM183 between South Purmela And Evant is nice. Hills and views.

FM1238 from Iredell south towards CG

img009.jpg

And FM219 from Clifton to CG

I listed these because they were close but my favorite is Old Maverick Road in BBNP

Big%20Bend%20Gateway.jpg

I’m terrible remembering names but I think it’s Sandy Creek Rd. More about dirty fun than scenery.

FM4 is great. A really enjoyable one is the River Road that parallels the Guadalupe River roughly from Canyon Lake to New Braunfels.

But day in and day out, I'll go with Lone Star Road (FM 157) from Mansfield to Maypearl - occasionally with a jog eastward on FM 875, and then back west on Old Buena Vista Road. There are better roads, but this one has the advantage of being the closest road to south Arlington that offers a few decent curves. If I just need to get out of the house for an hour or so, that's where I head.

River Road in Comal County is nice but the 20 mph is a bummer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Has no one mentioned Lime Creek Rd.? That used to be a favorite for the Austin area riders. Did it get so over developed as to be not worth riding anymore? It's probably been 15 years since I last rode it. Also, there was 1431 out to Marble Falls that was always a local favorite. It got widened. There has been loads of development. I can't remember the last time I rode it. It wasn't much fun compared to the way it was back around 2000.

I love some of the roads already mentioned.

My favorite road is not the best road, but it is my favorite because I grew up riding it, Ranch Road 12 out of San Marcos, Turning into 32 and going over Devils Backbone.

Blanco county 1 is another that I will detour out of the way to ride any time I’m in that area .

Last time I rode Lime Creek it was a traffic jam half way thru and about 50 or so new driveways on the uphill side with gravel washing across the road at every one of them . Good memories from years ago but that’s all that’s left of it is memories

In Texas my favorites are The Three Sisters of course. But in my area, probably FM 3090. But there are plenty of close seconds; Scenic 390, the FM's 223, 222, 224 (Three Little Sisters), FM 1485 to FM 1484 and FM 149 through the forest.

Several of us had a couple of pretty good public Google maps goin several years ago...
They had tons of paved & unpaved county roads all up & down I35 to the west out past Llano...& Kerrville...up around Mineral Wells....
TONS.....
& then someone copied a bunch of the roads & made a lot o money with their map

The Google maps still exist... But are much less detailed with roads now

FM 462 N
Heading up from Hondo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back