• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What is your job?

I am a live sound engineer. Sounds all haughty and stuff but what I really do is turn some knobs to make the band think they sound better ;-) ....
I spent several years traipsing around TX and LA doing one night gigs in clubs and festivals. That life is fun beyond belief but very hard on the health and relationships. When we found out about our first kid I started looking for something in town to get off the road. Enter Texas A&M. I got on in the Rudder Theatre Department doing some of the most boring conferences and speeches ever made. :roll: . I still get to mix a band every now and then, but its usually crappy locals....

I build custom speakers on the side and hope to develop this into a full time gig some day. I enjoy being covered in sawdust more than listening to the inorganic chemists' convention anyday... :suicide:

WOW! 15 years has gone by in a flash!

I'm still a Sound Engineer, but I work at Lone Star Cowboy Church in Montgomery now. I manage all audio and lighting on campus and mix the "broadcast" feed that you hear when you tune in on livestream or facebook.

Between 2004 and now I opened (and closed) my own small sound company, went on tour with a few different Texas Country artists, wrote a few articles that got published in a trade mag, and helped my wife open and operate: www.danielaweaver.com

I haven't been riding since I opened my business. I mothballed my Strom to save money for the business. I'm getting the itch again though, hence why I am back here reading TWTex again! lol.

And another fun fact, I'm using the same avatar today that I was back when I registered for this site! It's a pic of me doing a pop a wheelie on a JD Gator 6x6! I was climbing a short set of steps outside of Rudder at A&M......

Crew Chief

Forum Supporter
I am a hospice nurse for a not for profit company. Great job at a great place.

I have 10 years in the Army, 10 years in law-enforcement. I have worked in the telecom industry (splicer and inside plant+operations management + design work). I have also done building automation installation and was a commercial estimator for a medium sized AC company. I have also been a farm kid and managed a chicken farm at 17 too.

Heck, I’ve had a crazy life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is an eclectic combination of skills and experiences.

2004 Finance / Controllers at ExxonMobil in Houston

2018 Funemployed in Phoenix with a small company in Houston paying the bills.

Relocated with my wife due to her illnesses. Going on 33 years together. We're both 47!

I miss my swamp people, but life is good in the desert. Thanks to twtex for introducing me to Richard, TARA, Big Bend, and the possibility of living out west.

Last edited:

Triumphter

Forum Supporter
I’m guessing Norman Reedus. He’s a triumph guy

I would like to get where he is. I have a long way to go though. This is all fairly new in my life. It is a bit shocking how well it is going, but in the grand scheme of things, it is pretty small time stuff. The other side of that is this is were lots of people start and of the great sea of humanity trying to do this stuff, most don't even get this far.

Valker

Forum Supporter
2004 Finance / Controllers at ExxonMobil in Houston

2018 Funemployed in Phoenix with a small company in Houston paying the bills.

Relocated with my wife due to her illnesses. Going on 33 years together. We're both 47!

I miss my swap people, but life is good in the desert. Thanks to twtex for introducing me to Richard, TARA, Big Bend, and the possibility of living out west.
Y'all been together since you were both 14? Wow!

South Tex

Forum Supporter
Triumphter, then we need to figure this out. Give another clue and 10,000 no points to the one who figures you out 😎

Triumphter

Forum Supporter
Triumphter, then we need to figure this out. Give another clue and 10,000 no points to the one who figures you out 😎

It is unlikely anyone would get it. People (some, not a lot...) would recognize the movie I am filming now (it is a part "insert number" ) and the movie I am making after that (a remake) but I am well below the "get recognized" threshold. That, in a small way, is coming, but...yeah, I have a long way to go. We will see what is to come :)

It sure is fun though.

Looking good Deputy!

I miss Crown Vics. We have Tahoes. They are just fine, but again, I miss Crown Vics.
I started in a Crown Vic, and was in various CVPIs for about 4 years before I was issued a Tahoe.

The CVPIs were built like a friggin' tank, and the only issue I ever had across the 3 year models I had were the thermostats going out. But, for the very rural area I work, the Tahoes are better for the rough county roads and pastures.

copb8

Forum Supporter
Own a small consulting firm specializing in selling, implementing and supporting financial/management systems for small/midsize manufacturing companies. I know right, takes your breath away just thinking about the excitement in my life every day! ;-) :sleep:

I augment that excitement with my love for anything with gas that don't cut grass (wife hates that saying) Cars, bikes, boats, I love them all.

Second and last marriage for both my wife and I. Together 30 years and married 25 of the easiest years of my life. I still wonder, as does every single one of our friends, how I landed this woman. :bow:

The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.

The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.
:huh:

Tracker

Forum Supporter
I guess if 50% are above average, some of us have to cover the bottom. :lol2:

Montejay

Forum Supporter
Austin Powers, lol

Mr2mch

Forum Supporter
Parts/Salesman plain n simple...but with a smattering of related jobs over the years..

Started parts at a International Harvester tractor dealer where my dad worked as a salesman in high school
Various delivery...warehouse & mfg jobs for a few after that...till Steakleys Honda Yamaha Triumph needed a parts person in 78
Then worked as a machinist in training 80-84 evenings & part time at Steakleys for fun daytime
USA Performance speed shop briefly after a layoff at Precision Machine..then back to Steakleys in 85 as Parts Mgr till 88
VW Porsche Audi Honda parts needed me for a year or so..then
Ram Aircraft...but not in parts...as an assembly shop mechanic for 9 yrs till a layoff
Back to car parts at NAPA from 99 to 2001
when I became Parts Mgr for Aurora Aviation....the company was sold in 04 & all my hard work setting up that parts biz flew out the hangar...I did too!..so I decided to work for myself....doing mostly what Im doin now
Contract sales...parts...accys...riding gear...bikes...cars...Ive even been asked to sell a boat or two...but turned those down.

I held on into the great recession..but finally had to take an hourly job again in 2010... stomached that goofy schitzo boss as long as I could...then took a year on my own again in 2013
2014 it was back to my old habits but only part time at OReillys till I retired Jan of this last year (I went thru 4 diff mgrs over that time....I was orig hired for commercial sales...but that never materialised) Anuther person now has that position.
Retired at 62...handling my brothers legal/nursing home..etc
Folks still ask me to handle listings though.

& I ride

Last edited:

Centex

Forum Supporter
Customers draw pictures of what they want, then I make what they draw. www.dclites.net Milling along since 1963.
Very cool. And thanks for your Service.

Parts/Salesman plain n simple...but with a smattering of related jobs over the years.
& I ride
C'mon, your full-time career is being just a great guy :sun: and Wee Strom maven :rider:, everyone knows that :clap:

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Customers draw pictures of what they want, then I make what they draw. www.dclites.net Milling along since 1963.
I need to find a day where I could come up and visit. I've never really had a chance to check out a serious CNC based shop. The guys we deal with are mostly hand fabricators of custom hardware that involves a LOT of grinding and welding. We do a bit of work that is aluminum and made via CNC, but it is real basic stuff. Most all of the steel hardware is hand built custom stuff.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
I found another much longer thread about "what you do for a living" and merged the two together. Should be interesting to go back through them and see how many folks I remember that haven't been on the site in a while.

Dang I was a college student when this thread started. Now I'm a husband and father.

To pay the bills I'm a patrol sergeant at a mid sized agency and member of our county's regional SWAT team. Most of the time it doesn't feel like work because I'm having fun.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Dang I was a college student when this thread started. Now I'm a husband and father.

To pay the bills I'm a patrol sergeant at a mid sized agency and member of our county's regional SWAT team. Most of the time it doesn't feel like work because I'm having fun.
Didn't you have a VFR 800? I could swear you ended up with some of my GIVI luggage and the Wingrack II I had on my VFR.