• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What is your job?

Retired from local 286 Plumbers and Pipefitters Austin Tx. did HVAC for 45 years. Do just enough cash side work to pay A/C lic. and Insurance and pay taxes.
Found out retirement is a bit easier if you start debt free.

This has been an interesting read. This thread was started before I came on board in 2005 just before purchasing my first bike (Concours) in 30+ years. At that time I would have been an Operations Manager for Best Buy, then I transitioned over to Walmart as a Market Asset Protection Manager (I was the guy that sent all the bad employees to jail), and for the past 2.5 years I've been a teacher in one of our 200 Walmart Academies. It's the best job I've had in the sense that I get to make an individual impact on the professional growth of hundreds of associates every year. 2.5 more years and I plan to hang it up and split my time between winters in the Phoenix valley to summers in the Arizona White Mountains.

EDIT: a couple of hours after I wrote the above I found this post on LinkedIn:
Our International President and CEO Judith McKenna spoke on a panel at the World Economic Forum about how technology is changing retail, and the new roles that are emerging. Judith also discussed how our Academies are helping prepare our associates for the future. Last year our Academies trained 500,000 associates, the largest U.S. training program outside of the military.

Last edited:
Used to be a software/electronics engineer. Now retired, I am spending the money I made doing that to have fun and enjoy life. 👍

Before I retired in 2017 after 42 years at the steel mill in Midlothian, I was the Quality / Metallurgical Dept Manager - since retirement I do some occasional consulting / project work for the mill.

Work as a nurse for the past 5+ years, started in ICU, now in the ER.
Was working as a paramedic when this thread was started.

Sr. District Commander for Austin-Travis County EMS. 1100 square miles of terrritory, a million people (metro), 300 children (paramedics),30 ambulamces, 90,000 emergency responses a year. :shock:
You still working for them?

I applied there around May/June 2004. The testing there was a pain in the butt.
They were hiring 3 at the time, and I was number 4.

Short story....Cop

Long story...Patrol Corporal with a rural S.O. near me

I'm coming up on 8 years with my S.O., started off as a Deputy Sheriff and was promoted to Corporal a few years later.

My job is kinda dull also, I own and manage rentals, its a college town.

I can only imagine the gross things you've probably seen doing that work :lol2:
It isn't as bad as you would think, most of these kids are good kids, sometimes doing stupid but they do pretty good.

I don't anymore. Was hurt on the job in 2010, aircraft mechanic, ex-trucker. Now just enjoying life, planning my next ride.

I travel mainly the US(sometime outside the us) setting up CEMCO mobile concrete plants for customers, repairing and modifying them. When not on work trips I preform maintenance and repairs on all equipment at the shops and handle inventory for the final assembly side of manufacturing the plants.

It would be interesting to see if the people from 15 years ago are still doing the same things.

I appear and star in Hollywood B movies. It was never the plan until about 3 years ago but is really starting to work out. Before that, I did a lot of other things. Life can be interesting. We will see what happens next :)

Retired, before that I was a Senior Reactor Operator at Comanche Peak for 35 years.
My father actually worked at Comanche peak for a few years in his younger days, worked with the reactors in some way, don’t remember exactly what

High school, tool maker trainee (received draft notice), Marines, hog farm worker and student at Texas A&M, home builder, race director for CRRC, motorcycle shop owner, retail welding equipment sales, MC roadrace promoter, bicycle race promoter, lab technician in a solid state research lab and retired. Lots of overlap in the above. Somehow, I managed to squeeze in 37 years of motorcycle racing, 10 years of bicycle racing, over 1,000 miles of backpacking, 36 MC trips to Colorado, 6 MC trips to Utah and many more MC trips to other states. I guess I can't decide what I want to do.

This is quite an old thread - time for an update! So after 35 years with Chevron and primarily international assignments of a financial nature I was "retired" during the last downturn. I've since signed on with a small venture in Northern Iraq (Kurdistan), am back on a rotational assignment, and just happy as Larry.

Kids are grown so I guess I've retired as a baseball coach, van driver, and gatorade fetcher. When I'm on my time off I'm the head Dog Walker, Grocery Getter and Dawn Patrol Pilot on my RS, GS, or Monster out of the Fulshear area.

Life is good.

I'm retired as well; one of those forced retirement deals. And I'm thankful for that! :clap:

When not riding the GS or Harley, I'm in the woodworking shed, making something for the family.

It would be interesting to see if the people from 15 years ago are still doing the same things.

I appear and star in Hollywood B movies. It was never the plan until about 3 years ago but is really starting to work out. Before that, I did a lot of other things. Life can be interesting. We will see what happens next :)
Proof! What can I watch?

Hi Scott. I'm still doing the same old thing I was doing ..... :) Definitely 1 more year, ideally 6 more years.

Work as a nurse for the past 5+ years, started in ICU, now in the ER.
Was working as a paramedic when this thread was started.

Kinda wish I would have gotten into healthcare at this point. Seems like it would be nice to have a career helping people daily.

My daughter is an LVN bridging to RN.

Project Manager and Specialized Applications for our company. We specialize in Surface Prep and Finishing Equipment for the metal and woodworking industries.
I do most of our blast system design and specialty paint systems for companies

Guess I missed this thread , I fix things , started in trucks then moved to heavy equipment , got tired of bosses in 1982 and started my own shop , been there since , built on my property in 1985 and am still there , that’s the only way I can get to work in the morning , walk across the driveway . Don’t work near as hard as I did these days and really wouldn’t if I could get away with it . Last several years I’ve been restoring 30 year old construction equipment , new construction equipment is kinda like bmw s , running with about a 10% failure rate so contractors are very happy with a frame down restoration of a 30 year old machine for 50,000 bucks instead of new at 150,000 that is almost guaranteed to see a major failure in less than three years not counting all the idiot crap the epa has added to them , adding to that is the fact that help these days is not up to the task that new equipment requires for daily maintenance . It buys nice toys and lets me escape the Texas heat for a month or so , works for me .

Guess I missed this thread , I fix things , started in trucks then moved to heavy equipment , got tired of bosses in 1982 and started my own shop , been there since , built on my property in 1985 and am still there , that’s the only way I can get to work in the morning , walk across the driveway . Don’t work near as hard as I did these days and really wouldn’t if I could get away with it . Last several years I’ve been restoring 30 year old construction equipment , new construction equipment is kinda like bmw s , running with about a 10% failure rate so contractors are very happy with a frame down restoration of a 30 year old machine for 50,000 bucks instead of new at 150,000 that is almost guaranteed to see a major failure in less than three years not counting all the idiot crap the epa has added to them , adding to that is the fact that help these days is not up to the task that new equipment requires for daily maintenance . It buys nice toys and lets me escape the Texas heat for a month or so , works for me .
I might need a old d5 one day!

Back