• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What is your job?

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab We've had so many new members sign up in the last few months it's amazing. So now I am curious about all of you! What do you do to make a living? What would you like to be doing to make a living? You are making a living right? Let's hear it!

Adios,

I'm a lowly little student worker at a research facility for Texas A&M. I used to be a heavy and light line technician at a Lincoln-Mercury dealer in Houston before I went back to school. Ideally I'd like to find a job related to automotive, motorcycle, motorsports, etc. If I could land a job doing product development or manufacture in the auto/motorcycle aftermarket industry I'd be in hog heaven. At least that's what I think now... :wink: We all know how that's supposed to change after being on the job a few years. I think a job along those lines would keep me challenged enough that I would enjoy it. Who knows what the future will bring at this point. 8)

I am a contract computer consultant. I support a pipeline control(SCADA) system for a large Oil Company. I am still looking for my next career. Just have not figured out what I want to be when I grow up. So, I just keep putting it off.

Just have not figured out what I want to be when I grow up. So, I just keep putting it off.

I have the same problem :roll:

Adios,

I pretend to program computers. It's getting tiresome after 23 years, but it's a paycheck, usually.

Ideally, I'd be splitting my time among teaching (or at least increasing my training in) tai chi, writing, and maybe working on small engines, somewhere in the mountains, like here. For reasons likely related to habits established as a teen, being a couch potato and surfing TWT every hour on the hour isn't getting me to these goals very well. :-D

Heavy equipment operator.

Growing old is manditory, growing up is optional.Hehehe.

I don't think I will ever grow up.

Teeth said:
Heavy equipment operator.

I was watching a Bull dozer operator this morning while sitting in traffic. I have operated a small dozer, a backhoe and several farming type equipments. Sure looked like fun this morning. Like they say, the grass is always greener...

I'm Regional Manager, for a shortline and switching railroad company. My territory includes the 67 mile Gulf Colorado, and San Saba Railway, Sweetwater Central Switching, and the Southern California RR. We are a small, but growing company, with a lot of oportunity to expand, as the Class I railroads spin off lower volume lines, and industrial switching operations. I'm actually pretty happy where I am right now, though, given the choice, I'd be piloting a jet, instead of a locomotive! Someday, I may get the chance, untill then, I'l just keep playing with trains, and fly cessnas for fun.

TR
Brady TX

I run a small drilling, fabricating, and engineering company, but most people call me a dentist. I don't ever plan on growing up, just playing with my toys. :mrgreen:

Telecommunications here. I work for a very large ISP running their DSL Engineering group. I plan on doing this until I put the kids through college. After that Kim and I are off to travel the country/world working at whatever will put gas in the RV and motorcycles.

After we get that out of our systems, I'd like to teach.

I've also got a part-time gig with the Navy Reserve.

Pete

Right now, my wife makes the living.

I moved down here last May from OKC to get married. We figured it would be easier for me to find a job down here with what I do than in OKC with what she does. She works for a non-profit agency. I do have contract work out of OKC that is starting up, so a little income is better than none on my part.

I was an architectural job captain/designer. The last year I was mainly doing site development and military family housing (privatization and MILCON) proposals. We went to a site for a week and did analysis and design, I then made 3D models of the site and housing for computer animations. Before that I was a job captain and detailer on many projects (a total of 16 years experience). I would eventually like to develop a 3D rendering and animation business, but the initial hardware and software investment costs are pretty high

I have had trouble getting in the door in the Austin market. It seems everybody here wants residential help, and most of my experience is commercial/industrial. Most firms here seem to be rather small (and residential focused) the firm I worked for in OKC had over a 1,000 employees and over 200 in OKC alone. The firms here mostly seem to be looking for recent grads. The few interviews that I have had have all been looking for someone with more residential experience. I guess most commercial architecture done here is by Dallas or Houston firms.

It gets frustrating, but hopefully something will come through soon. That way I can get a bike. I made that promise to my wife, job (w/ insurance) then a bike. Then sometime later a bike of her own.

Well......that's my story.

I am a foreman at a electrical generating plant. Working 12 hour shift gives me lots of weekdays off to ride. I like it because the pressure is off some of the best roads while everyone else works 9-5. Be safe all.
Rick

Mechanical engineer for an architectural/engineering consulting firm. I am responsible for the design and construction for HVAC, specialized exhaust, air pollution control, and system controls for commercial, industrial and institutional projects.

Right now, my wife makes the living.

Three is nothing wrong with this. I hope to retire to a life of Mr. Mom in a year or so. Man, that means I don't have long to buy all my toys...

Engineer

Engineer for L-3 Communications in Arlington, TX. Specifically, I help develop training for maintenance crews and pilots for the B-2 bomber. However, I'm in the middle of a career change. I'm going back to school for a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. I want to be a trauma nurse or an OR nurse.

I have a small aluminum finishing business.We anodize aluminum.Do not get excited we only do clear and black mostly for telecommuncations industry. We have done some for the patriot missle system as well as nasa.

Design Engineering Manager for a small semiconductor company in Austin. Been designing chips for over 15 years now. Most days it bores me out of my mind, but it pays the bills well enough for my wife to stay home with our two little girls (3 years and 1 year old) and for me to feed my motorcycle and guitar habit. :-D

IT/Control Systems manager at a pilot plant/research lab for a major oil company for a couple of decades now. Don't know if I can make it another 20 yrs. though. :headbang:

Minister, but came to it late in life. Lucky that I have an understanding congregation who put up with the large "Harley-Davidson" tattoo.

Re: Engineer

Kidder said:
Engineer for L-3 Communications in Arlington, TX. Specifically, I help develop training for maintenance crews and pilots for the B-2 bomber.

Hmmm, ever been in one? That sounds pretty cool!

Me, 14 years in field sales for Apple Computer. Almost all of it keeping education account execs honest. So dont' start any OS wars, as I'm probably the only one paid to fight them :-D With a wife at Dell, I'm also well practiced. It's like trying to heckle Sam Kinnison...

For giggles I also run TrackLeather, which allows me to look the wife in the eye and say "But honey, I have to go to the track day!" :chug:

Later,

Daryl

Cubicle Rat :lol:

Most of the time I wait for the BOSS to comeby and deliver some cheese. :angel: When he's checking up on me I pretend to design static pressure vessels - mostly for ammonia plants overseas.

Not the job you dream of when growing up but it pays for the toys. :twisted:

Does my username make sense now? :-D

Vessmech

I work with ChevronTexaco in the finance area. I've worked in Kilgore Tx, Cabinda Angola, Tengiz Kazakhstan, and San Francisco - now working here in Houston. 24 years now and still having fun.

Re: Engineer

uberhawk said:
Kidder said:
Engineer for L-3 Communications in Arlington, TX. Specifically, I help develop training for maintenance crews and pilots for the B-2 bomber.

Hmmm, ever been in one? That sounds pretty cool!

Yep, quite a few times! Pretty impressive piece of hardware.

Work

I don't do anything all day, get paid well, talk on the phone too much, get used to bending over when the Project Engineer or Manager comes by, come in late, and leave early. Oh yea by 900 am I'm planning for lunch. The rest of the time I'm checking out TWT web site. When I get home I'm so tired from all of the activity.

Just ask vessmech...I'm a co-worker.

Actually 30 plus years in the same business. Designing pressure vessels for chemical plants and the such. Being single, I like to walk up and down the aisles looking for any nice looking women.

Back