• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What is your job?

I'm a FLUF driver.

I'm a FLUF driver.
I fly Boeing 737's for a local airline. ;-) A nickname for the 73 is FLUF (fat little ugly f..er) so thats where I got my username.

Its an awesome job but it can actually be torture sometimes. Whenever I am flying over some awesome motorcycle roads (TX, CA, UT...etc) I find myself wishing I were out riding them instead of 35,000 feet above them. :mrgreen:

Re: I'm a FLUF driver.

Whenever I am flying over some awesome motorcycle roads (TX, CA, UT...etc) I find myself wishing I were out riding them instead of 35,000 feet above them. :mrgreen:

Isn't life funny? When I'm out riding, and glance up to see a plane (any plane, doesn't matter! ) cruising over, I find myself wishing I was up there flying them, instead of cruising around on a bike! I feed my altitude dragon by doing some single engine land type VFR flying, when I have the extra money lying around to feed the hobbs meter, and was flying gliders when I lived out in CA some, but I miss doing it on a daily basis. I spent 8 years in the Air Force, as a Loadmaster on Herks (C-130's) and really miss that sometimes. Where else, can you get paid to fly around the world, and throw people, trucks, hummers, and tanks out of an airplane in flight? Though, driving trains has it's advantages too, so I can't complain! I'm flying out to CA, on America West next week, you drivin?

TR
Brady TX

Uhhhh, vessmech and Greeves? I'll be needing those TPS reports now...

Re: I'm a FLUF driver.

Shortline said:
................... I'm flying out to CA, on America West next week, you drivin?

TR
Brady TX

Nope,
I fly for the hometown Houston boys. Actually right now I am "sitting reserve" so I am on call 4-6 days per week. If they ring me I have to be able to get to IAH within two hours. So that's about all the notice I get for where I'm goin'.

Enjoy your flight on "Cactus" (that's their radio call sign) I hear they've really turned things around so it should be a good experience.

Maybe we'll meet on the road sometime, I bet you've got some really good Herc stories. That's an awesome machine.

:chug:

I'm the GM of a machine shop on the west side of Houston. My job seems to mainly involve doing damage control with PO'd customers. :angel: I have a couple of sideline ventures that I hope to develop into a full time gig in the not too distant future.
In the meantime, this one keeps me in tires... :lol:

sphpkr said:
I'm the GM of a machine shop on the west side of Houston.

What kind of stuff do you guys fabricate? Also, what kinds of metals do you generally work with? Do you do numerically controlled milling? Castings? Lastly, what is the name of the shop?

Adios,

I am a Field Technician specializing in Printers and Printing systems.
Been doing this work for the same company for 25 years now.
5 more to retirement.

Wow, 14 years later, I did retire from IBM in 2009 and have been self employed as a Handyman.
Allows me to travel..leaving for 3 weeks of riding around SE Asia in a little over a week.

Last edited:
What kind of stuff do you guys fabricate? Also, what kinds of metals do you generally work with? Do you do numerically controlled milling? Castings? Lastly, what is the name of the shop?

We machine parts for oilfield, electronics, and medical applications. The metals used vary from aluminum to exotic stainless. The shop is called Langham Creek Machine Works. It's near Barker Cypress and Clay Road on the northwest side. We use both CNC and manual machines. It's a small shop so I get to wear a lot of different hats. In addition to GM, I also pull duty as the quality manager and coffee machine operator! :)
Kelly

Wow!

:tab Dave came out of lurk mode for this one! :dude: :-P

Adios,

Sr. District Commander for Austin-Travis County EMS. 1100 square miles of terrritory, a million people (metro), 300 children (paramedics),30 ambulamces, 90,000 emergency responses a year. :shock:

My Job.

Best regards Team:

I have been working in the "Computer Support" area since the mid 80's (Mexico City) Mostly "PC Desktop Support" and some years ago as a "Field Service" Engineer performing computer hardware "break-fix" duties.
Currently I'm a Technical Support Representative (Phone, E-mail, Message Board) for our "Directory Administration and Migration" solutions at a local software development company in the Galleria Area. We provide organizations with advanced tools to deploy and optimize enterprise Directories (Microsoft Active Directory). Our comprehensive software tools help IT administrators to centrally automate and control Active Directory operations, manage disparate directories and version migrations.

Not my kind of "dream" job but I'm grateful for having a job and be able to put food on the table.

:tab Wow, that sounds like a Dilbertesque type job description :-P All I got out of it is that you are a computer geek :lol: But like you said, at least you have a job right now. Since the dotcom implosion is seems like a lot of the IT people have been hurting. I mean look at BRD, he had to get a job at CycleGear!! Sheesh! That's rough ;-)

Adios,

Re: My Job.

ZapataZR7 said:
...Not my kind of "dream" job but I'm grateful for having a job and be able to put food on the table.

I know what you mean. :|

I've been in the printing business since I was 17 beginning as an apprentice offset press operator. Did that for about 12 years, and it was actually pretty satisfying to be able to physically touch the result of my hard work, and occasionally see the printed pieces out in public distribution and be able to say "Hey, I made that!" 8)

With all modesty, I was a very good pressman, but decided to go into the management side of things via estimating and customer service because there appeared to be more opportunity in that direction. Right now I'm the senior client rep for a regional web printing company. By "web", I'm referring to newspaper-type printing from continuous rolls of paper, which are called webs; although we kept getting so many phone calls asking if we did internet web support that we decided to create an in-house department to provide that service too. I'd like to get back into the production side of things, though. I studied mechanical engineering for a couple of years (not degreed) and have always felt that my calling was more as a craftsman than anything else.

Living

I teach computers in an elementary school in The Woodlands. Originally was in Hotel Restaurant Mangement but got burned out getting burned out. I have fun taking the VFR to school with the kids saying things like, "Nice entrance, Mr. Parker!" I still work at Brennan's on the weekends which was my pre-teaching job (Maitre 'D/ Sommelier/Wine Steward) I am thinking of starting a wine importing business. We'll see how many obstacles the TABC presents.

The job I wish I had:

motorcycle nomad with a trust fund

Wines

(Maitre 'D/ Sommelier/Wine Steward)

WOW....!!!! Hey Paul: That seems like a nice job.....!!!!!! Glad you can still do it in the weekends....!!!!!!!

If you do not mind I'll like to ask your opinion about the following red Wine brands: "Navarro Correas" (my very personal favorite), "Concha & Toro", "Marquez del Riscal". Good luck with the business...!!!

Sorry if I went off-topic...!!!!!!!!

Now my "dream" job:

Motorcycle Magazine test-rider...!!!!!! Like those guys who write all the articles in the British magazine BIKE...!!!!

Re: Living

mrcleanvfr said:
The job I wish I had:

motorcycle nomad with a trust fund

I just wish I had won the 70 million lottery this last weekend. I could probably have scraped by on that.

I currently work for the federal government with HUD as a program analyst assigned to abolish all program analysts in the federal government. Probably won’t complete that task until I retire.

Some of my previous jobs include

Subcontracted for a building contractor that specialized in reinforcing runways for plus size models

Once worked for a Chicago piano string manufacture who’s specialty was supplying Mafia hit men

Briefly worked for a paint manufacture that specialized in candy flavored lead base paint for day care centers

Became an unemployed pooper scooper that specialized in constipated Great Danes when Purnia removed radioactive clay from their large dog food products.

Started a company call AA Triple A for alcoholics that forget where they put their keys after the bar closed

Once was a leader of a barber shop quartet for hair lipped epileptic men

Worked for a short time as a roadie for an unpopular air guitar woman’s band

Once worked for a fitness instructor for alcoholics that wrote a book titled “Win with Gin”

So it's safe to say that, except for your current job, none of your work has been politically correct? :-D

With all the honesty I detect on this board I'm compelled to update my job description.

What type of "heavy equipment operator" do you think applies to something that is approximately 174,000lbs. when operated?

Looks like I have way too much time on my hands to think of such things(no kids,never changed a diaper,have wife and a dog). :mrgreen:

What type of "heavy equipment operator" do you think applies to something that is approximately 174,000lbs. when operated?

You work in a strip mining operation driving those huge really cool dump trucks we see on the Discovery channel all the time?

Adios,

Tourmeister said:

You work in a strip mining operation driving those huge really cool dump trucks we see on the Discovery channel all the time?

Adios,

I say he is a drag line operator.

well...I'm a Sr.proj. design engineer. I do mechanical design for downhole tools in the oil industry. I've been doing this for 28 years , except for 8 years that I worked for General Dynamics doing avionics system design on the F-16 fighter. That was in the lean years for the oil field ('83-'91).
Right now I am putting two kids thru college so my budget for two wheeled toys is pretty low.....all my bikes are vintage and will take a couple of more months to be roadworthy. Hopefully after my kids are on their own , I will be able to afford a new touring bike so I can go anywhere with peace of mind (hard to do on vintage bikes). Then, I want to move up in the mountains somewhere, build a lodge/bedn'breakfast, and support my toy habit with some mechanical design/animation computer activities.

Buzz

Hey Buzz,

Do you do any FEA stress stuff? I need an inexpensive program to do some stress analysis on the stuff we design. Most of the commercial software I have found runs a minimum of 5 grand a copy!! I just want to verify that the back of the envelope calcs we already perform are even in the ballpark.

Adios,

My job seeems kinda dull in comparison, but I am an Engineer with the Navy. Fun job, I have been running steam plants for about 16 years, and I am working with diesels now.

Back