• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What the heck... 80 GS1000G project

Reaction score
Have had dozens of vintage bikes but mostly KZs and still have one in the shop but I had the urge to do Suzuki. First got an 80 GS1000GL and spent about 3 months of fiddling and turned the bike into a pretty decent ride. I just wasn't thrilled with the styling of the GL so bought a 1980 GS1000G from a nice fella just outside of Vanderpool. I have been working on it for a number of weeks and today, put the rebuilt carbs back on and sync'd them and it runs nicely as I hoped it would. My painter is in Pipe Creek on Bump Gate Road and is Xtreme Paint and Body. Body parts have been prepped and primed and and a new coat of paint is going on. The first coat of clear will go on Monday and then some vinyl striping and then more clear and should be buffed and ready to pick up Thursday next week.

I have spent my time cleaning up things as the bike was had obviously been sitting and had some mud daubers making residence where they should not have been. Case covers came off and were refinished and clear coated. Carbs rebuilt (as noted), put in a relay for the coils as they were only at 10VDC and put in some Dyna coils. OEM IC igniter is fine and stayed. Also put in a modern blade fuse box. New tires and flushed both front/rear master cylinders and put on some new pads. Added some Progressive 12s in the rear. Probably other things that escape me now but I did take off mast of the chrome and zinc stuff and media blasted with very fine bead and then clear coated and got rid of most of the rust on the bike. Anyway, almost ready for registration.

This is the GL I fixed up and sold:
5.22_6_zpspmvllnvk.jpg

Another shot of the GL engine:
5.22_5_zps9tn9dpxo.jpg

This is the 1980 GS1000G as I purchased it. The tape stripes on the body parts are decals and half worn off and there was a bit of rust under one of the tank emblems and around the petcock. One of the side covers had a crack and needed to be repaired so off to the painter. Note the engine covers were nasty.
G_before_zpsomvdwrui.jpg

Paint work as of yesterday:
7.7.2016_primer_zpsmd15ps8y.jpg

Had the head pipes ceramic coated as they had rust and pitting and the crossover was pretty rusty as well. This job was done by a great shop in Boerne:
pipes2_zpsksqygpcn.jpg

The engine is now cleaned up (as well as wiring) and the engine covers are no longer nasty. Red reflection is off my roll around stool cover.
engine_7.8.2016_zps6iprno8u.jpg

I will post a pic of the completed project late next week hopefully and see you on the road!

Good looking bikes. I have two 1980 GS 1100s one L and one E I'm going to start on this winter.

Bike is now registered. I bought the bike and it ran pretty nicely but had to do some normal maintenance and clean up.Valve clearances were opened up way too wide... mostly all about 1mm too wide with most clearances about .18mm instead of ,03-.08mm.
That is fixed. Rebuilt carbs; they worked fine just kind of dirty. Replaced brake fluid on both ends and put in somenew pads. Put on some new tires. Cleaned (media blasted) case covers and clear coated. Re-powered coils and swapped OEM coils for some Dyna 3 Ohm coils, Replaced fuse box with blade type. Repainted and striped. Did some
frame painting and general clean up of things, especially under the tank as it was full of mud daubers. Replaced the old K&N filter with a UNI filter, installed all new stainless case bolts. Added some Progressive rear shocks.Of course, carbs sync'd and all engine oils changed.

IMAG0153-1024x576_zpsmfqkh6md.jpg

IMAG0155-1024x576_zpshx9jkagz.jpg

IMAG0149-1024x576_zpsvbufqdki.jpg

Back