• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What tire size can you goto thats safe if you have unpopular sizes?

Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
So I have a 2009 Honda DN-01 automatic. Its a rare bike , but its so cool looking and super fun to drive. The bike I believe was made from 2005-2010 but only the 2009 and 2010 were ever imported to the USA. When I look the size up, plenty of tire sizes in Europe match that, but only one manufacturer left here in the USA has them and thats Bridgestone Exedra tires.

The size is : FRONT 130/70zr17 and the REAR 190/50zr17. The 190's are pretty popular, plenty of brands carry them. The front however, only Bridgstone in the USA I found still has them. It has the original factory tires from 09, I checked the numbers on them, and thats the original. They are Bridgestone BATTLAX BT021 in those sizes, and thats the sizes listed in the Honda manual for them. I bought the bike last year, and the sales guy lied and said the tires were pretty new at the time when I asked and they certianly are not, with an 09 and an 08 I think years stamped on them.

My question is, can I goto 120/70zr17 in the front, 10mm more narrow? Thats a popular size, and what can I expect? Some people online say that if you lower the tire width, a less wider tire I am reading will turn sharper. The bike is a kinda a stretch bike and turning with it, its like turning a Chopper. Its pretty wonky trying to do tight turns. So is 120 OK? There are many sizes in the 120/70zr17 for front. My other option is spending $500 and them shipped from overseas if I want the factory original BT021's.

Most tire manufactures will show a recommended rim width for their tire. Sometimes you have to dig around to find it. Find out your rim width then you can see what tire the manufacture recommends. Here is an example from Dunlop. /click the view specs box on the lower right once page opens.

You will likely see very little difference between the 130 and the 120 unless your front rim is exceptionally wide.

120 will probably be fine. Narrower tire will result in more straight line stability and maybe slower turn in. Should fit fine on a 3-3.5" wheel. Remember not all tires are measured the same. My Shinko 705 120/70-17 front sure fits a lot like a 130!

The tire will also be shorter. If the speedometer is driven off the front wheel, it will read fast. You will be going slower than indicated.

Back