• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What use is TWT anyway? Is it important?

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Squires
What use is TWT anyway? Is it important?

Not sure how long I’ve been playing around on the TWT site, perhaps a year?

My use of TWT has been mostly for playing games like “Where am I”. Yeah it was fun (at times), but certainly not important? I did not bother with supporting this site because it was just a game. If this site were to go away, well no big loss to me. It’s was just silly games anyway. Ok, yeah it does pie runs, but I eat too much pie anyway.

Wow was I wrong!

Because of events of last week, I have had cause to reflect on things that are important. For those not aware of my recent events; view my Pikes Peak trip report on www.BeemerBob.com

How important is TWT? Very!! Would there be a loss if the TWT site were to cease? Most definitely! Obviously, upon my return home, I changed my status to Forum Supporter. A commitment of a small donation monthly to help keep this site going is not much to ask.

I was never in any danger, but I needed help. Some fellow TWT’s became aware of my situation and stated putting things in motion and posting my situation on TWT. Because I was out of state (New Mexico), a few TWTers then started making posts on ADV rider seeking assistance for me.

Being an old fart in my 60’s I have been around a while and involved in a lot different types of organization, but the brotherhood of motorcycle riders is like none other I have ever experienced. Once home, I was able to look on the Internet and determined there were about 400 folks following my situation and either concerned or offering assistance. Wow! While the New Mexico State Police did finally respond, I was extracted by members of ADV Rider that learned of my situation by my friends on TWT.

These two ADV rider folks traveled a long distance to come get me. They went to a great expense and time to get me. I offered to buy them lunch, put gas in their trucks, but the only thing they would accept was my promise to “pay it forward”. Is this representative of the type of people that participate in ADV rider or TWT? You bet!

The community of motorcycle riders is phenomenal. I can’t stop along side the road to rest, without concern that some other rider will stop and make sure I am OK. I’m not sure why. I suppose that it is because we participate in an activity that has an inherent level of risk, so by looking out for each other helps to minimize that risk.

TWT members, however, seem to take this community mentality to an even higher level. I now think of TWT as my family and how fortunate I am to have been accepted into this great family.

To my brothers and sisters within the TWT family, I wish to express my love and thanks for your concern for my well being. I hope there are others that will read this and understand how important it is for this forum to continue and upgrade their status to “Forum Supporter”.

Again, thank you. I was honored just by your concern.

EDIT: I made a post that describes problems with my rescue even though I had a SPOT. Some of you may find this informative stuff to know if you ever travel in remote area and think your SPOT device will make locatiing you in the event of an emergency easy. You would be wrong: That post is at:
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=781105#post781105

Last edited:
TWT has meant a lot of things for me. Family. Support when I needed it. Friends when I felt alone. Prayer when life threw a curveball. Love when I least expected it.

:sun:

I have to say I have not seen any other place where the brotherhood among people who barely know each other is so strong. Leaving Texas was extremely hard for me, and this site was one of those reasons! Maybe I should start a TWT Virginia Beach chapter!

Wow this whole story makes me proud to ride. Glad you are o.k. and your experience will give the rest of us something to think about before we go out. Always let somebody know where you are heading.

Glad your OK! What's your opinion of SPOT?

I need to do some more research as to what went wrong and what went right. If it had not been for SPOT, no one would have known I needed help. This time it was not life threatening, so no harm done. If I had been bleeding, to have taken 19 hours to find me could have been fatal. Even then, it took
helicopter to find me. Yes I was remote and on a bad road, I was still on a county road.

I will report back when I know more facts.

You certainly felt the 'value' of this site.
My decision to support was not so dramatic, but when I realized how much I enjoyed the organized rides, reading ride reports (such as yours) and received help / advise when I requested, I too decided that a small monthly contribution was due.

And of course, glad you are ok...

Dang, and here I didn't even know you'd gone yet. I'll have to read up.

I have to say, seems motorcyclists all over are great and look out for each other. I was at a trackday and my bike broke down and there was no way I could finish without the part needed. No one had any spares (not your usual break) and some guy I'd never met till that day tossed me the keys to his gsx-r750 and said "I'm tired and my rehabbing wound is hurting, take mine for the rest of the day."

Great folks out there, can't wait to read up on your "Adventure."

I have a first generation SPOT and when I switch to the other messages (help and okay) it will cancel the 911 that is going out. 911 is continuous until canceled and help and okay are just 20 minute attempts. In your case I would have left it going on 911 until I was found. I have no idea how it works with the SPOT 2 though.

And yes, this is a great place to find help.

I gotta say.......I was in law enforcement for better than 17 years. I thought that brotherhood could not be bettered but from what I've learned from the motorcycling community.....I think I've found a more supportive group.

I rode with the Patriot Guard for a little over 2 years until the emotional strain just got too large. I learned then and there that the motorcycling community is one that can not be categorized or explained. I stood shoulder-to-shoulder with folks that, had I met them in an alley I would have been very cautious. And then I watched them weep like children right along with me.

We're all human. If we could all find a common thread to bond us together, we'd all live together better. Check out the story below. If they can do it, why can't we? We're supposedly smarter and more advanced than dogs and elephants:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBtFTF2ii7U

Bob, glad you made it home. Thanks for posting this. :thumb:

Glad you're ok Bob and looking forward to the full story. I'd agree that the 2 wheeled people look out for each other than any other group I've seen.

Just before I bought my first bike I was driving home late one night to find a really old guy on a bike at the entrance to my driveway, he was out of gas. We parked the bike and I loaded him up and we went home, found a gas can, drove 7 miles to the nearest gas station, and got him on his way. He insisted on topping off my gas tank despite my arguments and told me he was an accountant in Cushing TX and that he or his Son would handle any of my tax affairs free of charge going forward. I haven't seen him since, but still think of him.

A few weeks later I got my 1st bike and ran out of gas on the same stretch of road. I was walking about a mile to the nearest gas station and another young guy on a GSXR 750 stopped to help. He ended up missing his lunch date with some girl at school to help me get some gas and get back on the road.

You couldn't find better people. I always try to pay it forward when I get the chance. :zen:

TWT is extremely useful to me. It distracts me when I am waiting on stuff at work.

Seriously, this is a great place with great people.

I feel ya main!

I have a similar story myself. I was looking to get some riding pants and a TWT member gave me some...

...OK, not really the same nor as dramatic. :doh:

But I like these guys too. Oh crap, now I'm getting all teary-eyed! :giveup:

Great post Bob. I am interested too in your research into the response from SPOT. I use a first generation transmitter when traveling off the beaten path. If nothing else it gives my wife some comfort in knowing where I am.

I've met nothing but good folks from this site. :thumb:

Glad to hear you're back home in one piece! :clap:

Excellent story, Bob. In the end, while it didn't work out, you gave it a great shot, and you can always try again.

I'm fortunate that I haven't had need of assistance, but it is great to know there is a community of people that are friendly and supportive, and will go out of their way to help each other.

Glad to hear everything worked out OK.

Keep the shiny side up!

I enjoy the riding stories and the general information as well. I rode for many, many years when I was stationed in Florida. Now that I'm riding the hills of East Texas, with the nice two-lane back roads, it's great!

BTW, the other day I heard a neat song by a Cory Morrow - "Texas Time Travelin'" It's pretty neat and fits well with traveling around our great state on two wheels!

Bob, WOW what a story! I was in the military for 21 years and loved the sense of family but I have to say the brotherhood I've experienced in my short time on this board is amazing, as you are living proof.

I'm very glad you are ok, God bless!

Two Wheel Texans and its members has been a blessing to me. I need to break down and start donating, I guess.

Lee

Resurrecting an old thread. Now I know why you have been paying it forward, and being at your place last weekend was a huge blessing. Thank you and Thee Saint, happy trails, and we will see you soon again.

Back