• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What's going on out at GrandPaul's Place?

The last few days have been a whirlwind of ticking off punchlist items, owing to the fact that my middle son is in town and gave me his "semi-undivided" attention for my 65th birthday on the 10th. So, I put him to work, of course!

First, we ran the bare copper lines down the inside of the outer wall right at the corner nearest the A/C unit...

IMG_3607.JPG

Next, we built the A/C ductwork plenums, his first time helping me do A/C work.

Me, building the Return Air plenum-

IMG_3613.JPG

Kevin building a section of the Supply plenum-

IMG_5536.JPG

The almost completed supply plenum doing it's best Saturn V rocket imitation...

IMG_5540.JPG

Me applying the final touches to the primary fan-to-coil transition...

IMG_3615.JPG

Just about done...

IMG_3620.JPG

After the ductwork, we got after completing the floor decking. That was one heck of a chore. 24 sheets of 23/32" tongue-and-groove OSB ALMOST sacked out the rear suspension...

IMG_5564.JPG

It was a tedious, sweaty project, but we stayed after it for almost 2 days...

IMG_5565.JPG

Today, we finished it (except for the far corner that I still need to pre-plumb the 2nd floor bathroom fixture drains for)

IMG_3666.JPG

I ordered the needed flex duct materials to complete all of the 1st floor ductwork, as well as all of the ceiling registers and Return Air filter grilles this afternoon.

We had to pull the corner trim and the all but the top screws on the last wall panel next to the corner, to run the lines exactly within one of the outward-facing large corrugations and the exterior of the insulation, captured between the framing purlin, so as to not get squashed or screwed into in the future.

IMG_5566.JPG

I'll cut the big pipe, push the insulation up, solder on a 90-degree elbow, then connect the condensing unit. The skinny pipe is much easier. I have a nice huge Sporlan filter/drier for the suction line that will get soldered in the big pipe.

The electric heater kit arrived, bt I was beat, so I'll get on it in the days to come. Absolutely not a priority (he said, hoping that would naturally cause a cold front to move in)

IMG_5567.JPG

Still need to connect the main electrical feeder at both ends.

End of a L-O-N-G three days!

Oh, yeah, Monday was SKYDIVING!

I got to pilot the chute for a minute or two...

a1 skydive 05.jpg

Kevin "flipped out" (double backflip, actually) 7 more dives and he gets his license. Then, he'll work on becoming an instructor.

a1 skydive 03.jpg

Sally had a good time, too; our second tandem dive together, 15 years apart.

a1 skydive 01.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't ANYBODY else enjoy the vibey hum of the A/C unit to put you to sleep?

Hey, if that's your idea of "white noise" then go for it! I have a small fan next to the bed with a rigged up dimmer (I know.... PICTURE!) so I can tune it in just right. Touring people have been known to fight for the bunk right over the generator in a bus or RV. Whatever floats yer boat!

Hey, if that's your idea of "white noise" then go for it! I have a small fan next to the bed with a rigged up dimmer (I know.... PICTURE!) so I can tune it in just right. Touring people have been known to fight for the bunk right over the generator in a bus or RV. Whatever floats yer boat!
Doesn't ANYBODY else enjoy the vibey hum of the A/C unit to put you to sleep?
My white noise is self-generated. One of the fringe benefits of good hi-fi equipment, fast vehicles, and a career in the oilfield

My white noise is self-generated. One of the fringe benefits of good hi-fi equipment, fast vehicles, and a career in the oilfield
I sympathize. 4 years working aviation ground support in the Navy, specializing in jet-start huffers...

Good long day today, refurbishing @mr72 's A/C condensing unit.

Left side as-was, right side wire wheeled... (hard to see the dramatic difference with the sun and shadows)

IMG_5580.JPG

Fan grille done-

IMG_5581.JPG

"Before" left side, "after" right side...

IMG_5578.JPG

Coil guard done-

IMG_5579.JPG

I re-blasted the coil with the leaf blower (worth the time), and assembled the unit (twice, don't ask)

IMG_5584.JPG

IMG_5583.JPG

Of course, the main panels are all Rust-O-Leum appliance painted

In place, awaiting copper pipe connections in the next few days...

IMG_5585.JPG

I need to hunt down my vacuum pump and coil combs to dress those mashed fins...

Coil combs? Have I wasted a lot of time doing them individually with a small plastic scraper?
Yes, it is a set packed in a small cylinder, and includes a handle with 5 or 6 different spaced comb heads.

Mine is, anyway. Here are others..

Update from this past week:

Ran power to the blower/heater, and to the condensing unit, with service disconnects.

IMG_5628.JPG

Had to rebuild my oxy/acetylene regulators in order to weld up the copper pipes...

IMG_5663.JPG

Played "hide and seek" with my vacuum pump for over an hour, then changed the oil...
IMG_5679.JPG

Last edited:
Had to build one good working set of gauges from the 3 sets I had on hand...

IMG_5677.JPG

Pulled a nice vacuum and held it for 20 minutes (gauges & pump shut off) while I had lunch...

IMG_5680.JPG

Just to appease my oldest brother, I red-taped the white line voltage conductor on the power feeder...

IMG_5681.JPG

It looked like a tool explosion out there...

IMG_5678.JPG

Oh, yes, this was me shooting myself in the foot (I replaced this section of pipe)-

IMG_5672.JPG

I hot-wired 24v from the blower unit transformer down to the condenser (no t-stat yet), and cleaned up the wiring compartment. Oonly @mr72 can appreciate the very slightly tidier cabinet...

IMG_5682.JPG

Clicked on the breaker with EVERY expectation of a nice start-up...

The fan works!

IMG_5683.JPG

So does the compressor. in fact, it pulls LOW amps (rated @ 33 FLA)

IMG_5684.JPG

Pressures were very good at just over 90F ambient...

IMG_5686.JPG

Whilst admiring the sheetrocker's taping & floating FINALLY begun...

IMG_5688.JPG

...I noticed a little puddle coming from the ceiling! Oh, crikey, I've forgotten to connect the condensate drain! Quickly ran a pipe to just over the shower, just for testing...

IMG_5689.JPG

All's Well!

IMG_5690.JPG

Remember, this basically an open barn, and this was only 15 minutes after start-up in 90+ degree heat!

@mr72 , THANX A TON! (Or should I say 5 tons?)

I skipped right over LAST weekend (my 65th birthday was Saturday). I asked all the guys in my family that are local, if they'd give me the birthday gift of a workday to get the shed roof up. My oldest son Jason showed up, as did my son-in-law James, and my ex's husband Phil (super guy).

We immediately got started securing the purlins in the receiver channels...

IMG_5640.JPG

...that's when I remembered I had a "short" receiver on the west end. That meant we could only do half the sheeting. Still, that was a lot! The purlins are 20' long, the sheets are 22' long, and we had to add 5-foot cuts (and overlap) at the bottom to get the full 25' length out of the receivers. That will shade the container more than half way along it's length.

IMG_5643.JPG

Looking good!

IMG_5642.JPG

We had a nice time riding 4-wheelers and plinking a while, then it was time to wrap up Sunday.

Of course, I couldn't just leave it sit unfinished.

I fabbed up a "splint" using a section of purlin bolted to a section of receiver, and got the needed length on the west end.

IMG_5651.JPG

Then I had to figure out a way to get a 25' length of 8" purlin (actually, TWO of them), on top of a 9' container, SOLO. I worked it out, WITHOUT injury or damage. It involved one step at a time, and careful balancing and pulling/pushing as required

IMG_5652.JPG

I managed it. Set one end in the receiver, bolt a "hinge" bolt in place, then set the other end, then fasten it all together.

IMG_5653.JPG

Back