• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What's going on with 2023 KTMs? Piston Failures??

You nailed it. I learned from a very knowledgeable and reliable source that it's all related to their TPI design, which is exactly why they're tossing it. He straight up told me not to buy a TPI bike. He said even getting them properly set up to race (or even ride enjoyably for that matter) cost a fortune, having to buy a new tunable ECU and also upgrade the trash suspension they're now using. He said around $1.5k~$2k is what it cost to make things right and reliable.

I took his advice come time to replace my 2013 350 by going with another 350. I was however still faced with having to upgrade the trash suspension.

I always think about the difference in purchase price between a KTHusky and a Yamaha, and then think about just getting a 315 built for a YZ250FX with part of the difference. Or a lower-effort, cheaper big bore or bore/stroke and head work.

This might shed some light (click the "watch on YouTube"):

:lol2:. . . message received! Perhaps I'm being a bit too scrupulous here secondary to being in the middle of diagnosing a no-start condition on my '03 125 ;)

There are a lot of TPI bikes with various issues...some user created. I think that's why they've simplified by going the TBI route. I
never thought replacing an oil pump should be part of your maintenance schedule.
As for crossover to 4stroke models or any other models to have similar failures. That would be a stretch as they don't share
the same internals. The YouTube you referred to indicated a 300 exc . Not sure what country that is available in no 23 EXC's
in the U.S.
I doubt almost everything I hear and believe 50% of what I see.
Finally, We only see the people that are having problems..I've had issues with some of my previous KTM's but
nothing catastrophic. Hoping this helps.
You're welcome to message me.
Fair enough, yea I might just be being a bit too nitpicky here - and you're right, we only hear about the problem children!

Back