• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Whats the best platform for planning/routing a ride? Google maps? OsmAnd? Ride with GPS?

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Ashley
Ive been playing around with several rout planning apps and was just curious what other riders are doing? yall are the "experts" and just wanted to get some feedback on whats good and not so good from yalls experience.... I really like the Ride with GPS but its a subscription deal and so im doing my homework before pulling the trigger on something like that...

I use a variety of sources. I like Maps.me and Gaia. Also butler maps. But google as well.

Maps.me is nice because you can download whole states and use them offline.

Gaia is nice, but it’s a little more complex. But it’s easy to draw a route and save it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks... ill look at some of those as well.... do you use your phone or a gps? I want to be able to transfer these easily to either or after ive planned a ride.... I see a lot of post on here of riders having issues with that it seems..

I'm using furkot.com for planning and CoPilot for Android for navigation. I've been loving Furkot for a couple years now, but it seems to be running a little slow lately. Hopefully that will clear up soon. I wouldn't say it's the easiest to use, but it exports in .trp format which is what CoPilot uses.

I use Butler printed maps for ideas and then either play with options in Google Maps or go straight to Garmin's Basecamp for the final routes. Apparently I'm one of the few that can make Basecamp sing and dance the way I want it to and I end up with exactly the route I want on my gps.

so many options... Rusty, yeah, so one of my problems is getting some of these platforms to look as good on my phone as they did when I planned them out on the computer.. seems the routes are never the same once Ive transferred to phone... frustrating... looks like ive got a lot of homework to do

I really like the Ride with GPS but its a subscription deal and so im doing my homework before pulling the trigger on something like that...
I looked around and couldn't find anything better than Ride with GPS.

You can do everything from soup to nuts on your computer or phone in one app. So I paid their fee.

Assuming you predownloaded the riding area, offline Google Maps is there to point you to a gas station if needed.

I havent used it yet...but Rever has a basic free service...& a premium $$ more configurable service thats sposta be pretty good. Theres a new feature called twisty roads that routes you down all the ...uh...non straight...goodies.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

Check it:

lots of great info there... didn't see that... long story short... it appears that there isnt just one "do it all" app for nav... im gonna continue on using google maps along with OsmAnd and Ride with GPS... I havent looked at all of them, but from what I have researched so far, the Ride with GPS seems really really good...

lots of great info there... didn't see that... long story short... it appears that there isnt just one "do it all" app for nav... im gonna continue on using google maps along with OsmAnd and Ride with GPS... I havent looked at all of them, but from what I have researched so far, the Ride with GPS seems really really good...
What does OsmAnd do that Ride with GPS does not?

What does OsmAnd do that Ride with GPS does not?

Charge you to use navigation... lol... just gonna keep playing with all of them and wanna have a couple that i know well... Ride with GPS is so dang user friendly

What's the subscription cost? Seems you have to give them your information before you get a price.
Think its $80/yr if I remember correctly.

If anyone finds one that does everything RideWithGPS does for free, I'll switch.

I'm using furkot.com for planning and CoPilot for Android for navigation. I've been loving Furkot for a couple years now, but it seems to be running a little slow lately. Hopefully that will clear up soon. I wouldn't say it's the easiest to use, but it exports in .trp format which is what CoPilot uses.

furkot for me lately as well. Like being able to name waypoints which makes it easier to pick up the route after a deviation.

furkot for me lately as well. Like being able to name waypoints which makes it easier to pick up the route after a deviation.

Have you noticed that lately the map is really slow to pan/zoom? It's driving me crazy.

Apparently I'm one of the few that can make Basecamp sing and dance the way I want it to and I end up with exactly the route I want on my gps.
Yes, yes you are. I find BC to be the most frustrating mapping program I've ever used. I loved my MSFT Streets and Trips. :-(

People are all different in their pursuits of adventure and how their motorcycle riding fits in. I'm a map and standard GPS guy. I follow maps of all kinds and just use the GPS to solve a confusing point in my map route that might pop up. I also use Google Earth along with paper maps to see what the terrain looks like in the aerial views before I head out on a trip. I have found some fascinating points of interest just by using the Google aerial view and potential scenery points not really covered by some maps or texts. I also often find my remote camp spots for my base camp where I might stay for days exploring a riding location.

I like following maps, Google aerial research, and my eyes. For some reason I have never had the desire to make tracks of my own in my Garmin GPS or follow tracks made by others. Obviously I have nothing against that, it's just not how I ride in the hinterlands. I usually ride in very remote areas in the western U.S., and that's always been my goal. I think a lot of people use tracks and GPS direction because they are concerned about getting lost in new terrain. Also a lot of people use GPS direction just to save time riding in and to their destination. I get that.

Reactions: Hmm
I'm also a Basecamp savant but only after many years of cussing and then re-cussing to get there. I do plan everything ahead of time with Google maps and then use my mad Spidey Skilz to get it mimicked in BC.

I'm not saying it's great, or even good to work with, but it's very workable now and I can say that my Garmin 590LM has been totally brutalized and submerged and yet it is still kicking.

Last edited:
I use Butler printed maps for ideas and then either play with options in Google Maps or go straight to Garmin's Basecamp for the final routes. Apparently I'm one of the few that can make Basecamp sing and dance the way I want it to and I end up with exactly the route I want on my gps.
I'm in the same boat. I use Google Maps, the USFS maps page, or even printed maps to get my data, and then plot it out in Basecamp and I'm done.

What's the subscription cost? Seems you have to give them your information before you get a price.

80$ a year for the premium.... or 50$ a year for the basic.... im gonna start with the basic, see how i like the nav.... go from there.. another cool thing is you can see tons of other routes in your area that others have planned..

I don't mind paying a little bit to make life considerably easier.

Reactions: brg
Have you noticed that lately the map is really slow to pan/zoom? It's driving me crazy.
It wasn't a problem for a July trip to UT/CO but will check it out soon as I'll be working on a September trip to the Great Lakes area. The main reason I didn't go with BaseCamp was because of the very slow redraws.

Back