• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What's With This Weather

Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
So I am finally able to get back to riding after a forced hiatus of eight weeks due to a broken elbow and then mother nature takes it all away.....sigh. By the way the broken elbow was not related to my motorcycle but a rather unfortunate incident while refereeing an adult league hockey game with my 15 year old son.

boy its too cold for me. I dont think my bike would be able to leave the garage even if i tried. To top it off, everything out at our place is covered in a thin layer of ice and is super slick. Stay home and stay inside.

Where is the global warming we were promised by Al Gore? [emoji2955]

Forecast shows the temperature of 2°f on Sunday night. My guess is there will be many broken pipes Monday. A Plumber’s dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll ride in this stuff if forced to while out on a trip and have had to do it a few times (25° in West Yellowstone, 30+mph crosswinds and sleet in Dalhart, Loveland Pass white out) but otherwise will just patiently wait for another day.

Attachments

• 20190514_154432.jpg
    20190514_154432.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
I don't believe it's going to drop down as low as they are predicting. Evertime I look at my weather app the temps change .

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

I pulled the plug this morning on a trip to Abilene this weekend for a funeral. I’m just not feeling like the risk is worth the reward at this point. It is one thing to get caught in it and another to head to it when it is optional. I’ll go later and pay my respects and see the family with probably a better chance to visit anyway.

Where is the global warming we were promised by Al Gore? [emoji2955]
Your emoji didn't show up, so I am guessing that might have been a roll-eyes or a winky? :ponder:

Global warming doesn't mean warmer temps in all places all the time. It's rising average temp, and consequently more heat energy in the ocean and atmosphere. That translates to more violent storms and more extreme temps - both in frequency and intensity.

Al Gore is an opportunist, but what he hypes does have a kernel of truth... unfortunately. :-?

Anyhow... My son in Arlington just texted me that some classes are canceled and exams are postponed. Ice all over roads.

I thought they were calling it climate change now, I'm real confused [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Your emoji didn't show up, so I am guessing that might have been a roll-eyes or a winky? :ponder:

Global warming doesn't mean warmer temps in all places all the time. It's rising average temp, and consequently more heat energy in the ocean and atmosphere. That translates to more violent storms and more extreme temps - both in frequency and intensity.

Al Gore is an opportunist, but what he hypes does have a kernel of truth... unfortunately. :-?

Anyhow... My son in Arlington just texted me that some classes are canceled and exams are postponed. Ice all over roads.

I’m old enough to have heard the gloom and doom “predictions” being peddled by non-scientists in the media for 40 years. According to those predictions, we have all died horrible deaths many times over. Gore’s predictions were just another in a long line of failed predictions designed to fan the flames of hysteria to influence radical change.

The failure of the theory of “global warming” to be confirmed by people’s own local observations lead to its name change to “climate change” because now any weather not within the “norm” can be used to justify the hysteria.

The fact that our weather forecasting models cannot accurately predict the weather 5 days out would suggest we don’t understand the global system well enough to predict small average temperature changes out 20 years.

BTW, I want to clean planet and I drive an electric car. I’m just very skeptical due to the shear number of completely wrong predictions I have witnessed personally.

Reactions: JMZ
I’m old enough to have heard the gloom and doom “predictions” being peddled by non-scientists in the media for 40 years. According to those predictions, we have all died horrible deaths many times over. Gore’s predictions were just another in a long line of failed predictions designed to fan the flames of hysteria to influence radical change.

The failure of the theory of “global warming” to be confirmed by people’s own local observations lead to its name change to “climate change” because now any weather not within the “norm” can be used to justify the hysteria.

The fact that our weather forecasting models cannot accurately predict the weather 5 days out would suggest we don’t understand the global system well enough to predict small average temperature changes out 20 years.

BTW, I want to clean planet and I drive an electric car. I’m just very skeptical due to the shear number of completely wrong predictions I have witnessed personally.

All I responded was the effects of global warming, as proposed, don't necessarily preclude an ice storm in DFW.

The rest I leave to others like yourself to pontificate.

Local weather says "Historical and highly impactful winter weather event." Pretty sure that's code for "go hunt down the hydrometer and check your doggone antifreeze in everything."

yeah, my experience is foam faucet covers are good to around upper teens at best. 2F predicted here Tue am. Had to repair an outside faucet once before due to deep freeze busting it. Not fun with brick exterior. Thinking I need to db check all my anti-freezes.

I pulled the plug this morning on a trip to Abilene this weekend for a funeral. I’m just not feeling like the risk is worth the reward at this point. It is one thing to get caught in it and another to head to it when it is optional. I’ll go later and pay my respects and see the family with probably a better chance to visit anyway.
I'm not far from the Abilene area. Last night's forecast was blizzard-like conditions here and into the Metroplex on Saturday. 21 degrees outside now which may look balmy by Monday. So I pulled the plug on spending the weekend in Tyler with my daughter and grandson. But today is perfect for looking at a BMW F800GS north of the Houston area, right? :rider: Photos will follow if a deal is made. Onward....

riding on snow is next to impossible but can be learned as we did in Colorado. Its still likely to result in a crash. Riding on ice is not possible for any measurable distance. the bike needs to be kept perfectly perpendicular to the ground with 0 degrees lean angle . Otherwise you find yourself doing a hard instant landing. I've experimented with both extensively when in CO. Back in 2012 mother nature put my GSA sideways while perpendicular going 40 mph under the 130 overpass on 79 in Hutto in an ice related incident. I barely tweaked my body to adjust the slide back to my preferred (straight down the road) driving direction and the bike corrected, while still perfectly perpendicular to the ground, straightened and exited the underpass. It was a miracle save, and I'm pretty sure I could not do it again. Guaranteed I could not have done it without the years of screwing around on my dirtbikes in the Colorado winter snow.

Lost power at 2 pm Thursday (Austin). Glad I have wood for the fireplace , a full fridge and a small generator. My neighbors aren't as prepared. Surprised its still out, must be overwhelmed.

Lost power at 2 pm Thursday (Austin). Glad I have wood for the fireplace , a full fridge and a small generator. My neighbors aren't as prepared. Surprised its still out, must be overwhelmed.
You've been without power for 17 hours?

So, what DO I need to prep on two motorcycles that live in sheds? Replace coolant only (or at least measure) ?

I went 34 hours without grid electricity during our last ice storm a few weeks ago. Some neighbors went an additional third cold night without. First time I've had to plug the well pump into a generator but a hot shower was just something that had to happen. The joy in seeing lights finally come back on is hard to describe.
20210110_171904.jpg

Back